Spotlite

There have been a few mentions of the Spotlite facility in some of the other threads on this reflector recently. Could someone please explain what the message: “Gatekeeper error: failed to instatiate” really means?
I suspect it may have something to do with the browser used in the mobile phone. If I try to go to Summits on the Air or Summits on the Air using my mobile phone I get the Gatekeeper message. The phone is a SonyEricsson T610, and as far as I can tell it is a WAP-phone i.e. it may not have all the necessary functionality required for Spotlite form-filling.
If I use an old PDA (Cassiopeia) linked to the same mobile phone by Bluetooth everything appears to work on both spots and alerts. The Cassiopeia is using Windows CE and a cutdown version of Internet Explorer.
This means of course that I need to take 2 pieces of kit with me when out and about and wishing to make use of the Spotlite for alerts and / or spots.
If you are using a moble phone successfully for Spotlite, what is the phone in question, and is it a WAP-phone or does it have HTML/PHP capabilities built-in?
So, is there a technical guru out there who can explain, please.
73 de Ken- GM0AXY

In reply to GM0AXY:

I just tried entering Summits on the Air
into my phone (Nokia 6210classic on 3) and I got the same error. Then I tried Summits on the Air and that worked fine. Click on the “post a spot” link took me to spot and I was able to successfully make a spot.

Try it this way Ken and see if it works for you.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I get the Gatekeeper error in both cases, I am afraid.
So what is the difference between our 2 mobile phones, I wonder? Does the Nokia 6210 have something which the SonyEricsson T610 doesn’t?
Anyone know?
I can access most other webpages including Google, search for my callsign and then connect to my own homepage etc etc, but no joy with Spotlite… grrr
73 de Ken - GM0AXY

In reply to GM0AXY:

Sorry Ken, I don’t know. The 6210 is a relatively modern phone, the browser on it is a full web browser (web pages display like on a PC, screen size excepted) whereas your T610 is a WAP phone. Perhaps Jon knows the answer. I know that on a Google seach for "Gatekeeper… " Sotwatch.org is the number one hit!

Just thinking aloud I know that some WAP pages are translated on-the-fly from html so perhaps the problem is the on-the-fly translation is failing?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GM0AXY: My phones are both on PAYG. One is a SAGEM MYX5-2 on T-Mobile and the other a Nokia 5500D on Vodafone. Spotlite works OK from both of them. In view of the earlier postings in this thread, perhaps Brian, G8ADD would like to re-consider his initial posting on the ‘Announcement’ thread on 20th July at 08:58.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has this problem.

Regards, Dave, M0DFA/G6DTN

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’ve just tried Summits on the Air and got the “gamekeeper” result, but when I type www.sota.org uk/Spotlite I get the Spotlite page. It seems that “Spotlite” needs upper case S .

Pete
M0COP

In reply to M0COP:

Ken had uppercase in his URL and I had it in mine which failed. I’ve tried it since and it has worked OK. It may be a load issue on the server. Over to Jon.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I have tried the Summits on the Air on a BlackBerry 7290 and get the gatekeeper message. It works for me with sotawatch.sota.org.uk

73 HEinz, OE5EEP

In reply to OE5EEP:
I have some success to report:
Spotlite is not only for mobile phones. It can also be used on a PC. So I entered Summits on the Air
and back came the Gamekeeper error. I then entered Summits on the Air
(capital S) and back came the offer of spot or alert.
I chose to enter an alert for an activation here in Scotland with a few details left blank and clicked on Get URL.
I copied out this URL (some 180+ characters) and painstakenly entered it into the T610 mobile phone and SUCCESS !!
The system came back to me within a minute and I could have filled in the missing bits and submitted them for all to see.
It seems that the T610 WAP phone is still useable for Spotlite!!
This then raises some follow-up questions:-
Is there any reason why the word “spotlite” has to be case sensitive?
Where is the Gatekeeper error message generated and what does it actually mean?

I tried to go back to entering the Spotlite basic URL into the T610. No joy! It returned the Gatekeeper error as it had done before. Yet, the long URL obtained from the PC does work.
I must be missing something, but what? Any ideas anyone?
73 de Ken - GM0AXY

In reply to GM0AXY:

Filenames are case sensitive on Unix type systems and insensitive on Windows. That means Spotlite.html is a different file to spotlite.html on Linux say but they are the same file on Windows. That will affect how the webserver sees things and it depends what OS the webserver runs on.

Netcraft reports www.sota.org.uk is reported as running on
Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.1.2 mod_ssl/2.0.55 OpenSSL/0.9.8a

However, you now have a method that works. It’s probably well worth saving the URL on the phone before you go on the summit. Prepare it in advance when you have all day to muck about with the awful keyboard that phones have.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Find the web page at - Summits on the Air .

Check lettering as Spotlite begins with a capital letter!!!

I could not find a link to the above from the offical site at - http://www.sota.org.uk/ - does any body know about this!!!

Amanda
2E0MND