Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

Spotlite help please!

Dear All,

I am currently setting up Geoff 2E0BTR’s mobile to access spotlite. I have run into problems.

The “main” page at http://www.sota.org.uk/Spotlite renders just fine on the old Motorola W220. However, when attempting to access one of the links to put up a spot or an alert the phone simply displays the error:

“XHTML Browser: Bad content encountered”

All pages render just fine on my LG KS360. The quick and dirty workaround would be to use the old version of Spotlite, but I am lead to believe that this has now given up the ghost.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave M0MYA

Sorry I can’t really help with using the Spotlite Features, However the two pages that link from the URL both contain invalid HTML mark-up - They have duplicate /html and /body tags. Perhaps the phone is a little fussy about the page formatting.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

Thanks Stuart. I’d wondered about this myself. Running the pages through the validator at http://validator.w3.org/ chucks up a few errors besides the ones you mention. I had thought that a possible workaround may be to knock up a super simple form that adheres strictly to the standards, but submits to the same “things” that the existing spotlite does.

Dave MW0MYA.

In reply to M0MYA:

Forget what I just said my son tells me I am talking rubbish. He is looking at the code now.

Steve

Previous msg deleted

In reply to GW7AAV:

I am talking rubbish.

!

After briefly reviewing the provided code I would suggest the following changes

All Pages

Remove this line from the html and it should be okay:

This is not required at all, if the developer wants to have it in change the charset to UTF-8

Page 2 (SPOT)

has an extra at the bottom this needs removing

Page 3 (Alert)

needs this removing from the bottom:

James Studdart
E-commerce and Web Development Director
www.Elite-Technologies.co.uk

James says the problem is the char set used is none-standard and not supported by all mobile phones. After that he was way over my head.

Hope this helps Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:
I had a similiar problem in that all was ok then it didnt work? Entering the URL can be tricky to get right so i went around it another way.

Create the URL on your home PC then copy and paste the link into an email, then email to yourself … so far? Now open the email on your mobile click the link and bookmark on your phones browser.

I have a couple of old mobiles and so far i can get them all to work on spotlite. Hope this helps. Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

I did something similar but for a lot of the time it is just as easy to use the normal SOTAwatch spot page on a lot of modern mobile phones, however spotlite is cheaper for those of us on “Pay as U Go” to use as it hardly uses any bandwidth.

In reply to GW7AAV:

Hi Steve and James,

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. They seem to be spot on (pardon the pun). I have copied the source of the spotlite spot and alert pages, made the suggested alterations, and uploaded it to a free host. I hope that this is not considered to be ripping anybody off.

The page for posting an alert can be found at:

http://sota.pcriot.com/alert.htm

while the spotting page is at:

http://sota.pcriot.com/spot.htm

These pages render just fine on Geoff’s old and finickey phone, and I have been succespul in making test postings. However, do be warned. I have only done this as proof of concept, rather than a lasting solution. The hosting I am using requires me to log into their forums every two weeks in order to show I am alive. I have a busy brain, and a poor memory, so I am likely to forget this, meaning the pages are likely to disappear. A better solution would be somebody with a bit of hosting who would be prepared to host the pages. The best solution would be for the MT to implement the same changes that I have on the existing pages. Hope this helps.

Dave M(W)0MYA