Sporadic E

In reply to 2E0BTR:

Thanks for the update Dave, I just checked VHF Cluster & it looks like a very nice opening indeed. I powered up my 4m gear & worked EA1GAR on 70.195 at 59 both ways with about 30 Watts SSB to an indoor dipole.

As I have the day off tomorrow I may stop up late & see what happens :slight_smile:

Link below posted at 22:32utc 10/06/10

http://www.vhfdx.net/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=MUF&ML=M&Map=EU

Mark G0VOF

Excellent opening tonight on 4m 6m & 2m. I took a gamble & put up my 4m dipole & was very pleased to work two stations in Portugal, the latest, CT1FJC was literally like a local, as he was obviously originally from the UK & also called Mark. HI!

I haven’t tried 6m yet but I have heard a Portugese beacon quite loudly along with some other stations on SSB, & better equipped 2m stations have been working southern Spain / Portugal with ease.

It’s a shame most of Europe will be going to bed now.

Great fun :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:
100% Agree with the above comments on VHF Fun!!

Last night i heard the Spanish stations on 4 FM however unable to go back, however on 6 SSB worked 3 spanish stations consecutively all 5-9!!

Will pop up a hill like View Edge WB-018 one evening this week and set up the SOTA gear!

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Matt, just you wait till 6M F2 propagation reappears
 so much fun!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Excellent opening now on 2m, I’ve just worked HA8CE with 50 Watts & my 5 element Sotabeam at 59 both ways!

That has instantly shattered my personal distance record on 2m :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t normally beam East, but don’t normally hear Europe this strong either.

I gather there were good conditions today for the 2m backpacker’s & PW QRP contests.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Well done Mark on the DX on 2! I will have a go myself, have been sticking to to 6 and 4 far to much.

6 is wide open at the moment with over 20 different European stations worked, however highlight of the day has been working Italy on 4m FM with armchair copy! It would appear that all the European stations monitor 4m on 70.200 or 70.150, I called CQ on .200 and ended up QSYing to .300 with 40 watts! Excellent conditions will keep calling now!!

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to G0VOF:

I gather there were good conditions today for the 2m backpacker’s
& PW QRP contests.

Not up here there wasn’t.
10 contacts, all “local” (Helmsdale as DX) and when it wasn’t raining it was clag! MM0SMD (also in IO87 square) did manage one contact into northern G but he had essentially the same result as me!

Am I glad I chose to operate from the car and not walk up a hill

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

Oh it was wet for you too? I thought I’d need webbed feet if it didn’t stop raining. Of course once it was too late to drive and walk then the rain stopped and the sun came out.

Today, sat in the office looking out of the windows, I can see it’s a beautiful day. Pah!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Congrats on the Italian on 4m FM, Matt.

I still have not heard a single DX signal on 4m. However, as a small consolation I found 6 meters wide open at 7:30 BST this morning so I worked 13 stations in 8 DXCC countries before breakfast. (40 watts to a wire 30m dipole).

A couple of OZs told me they are active on 70.450 FM, so there is still hope!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to GM4TOE:

I gather there were good conditions today for the 2m backpacker’s
& PW QRP contests.

Not up here there wasn’t.
10 contacts, all “local” (Helmsdale as DX) and when it
wasn’t raining it was clag! MM0SMD (also in IO87 square) did manage
one contact into northern G but he had essentially the same result as
me!

I managed to keep reasonably dry by making use of the wooden shelter at the top of Mynydd Epynt (GW/SW-018). In fact the rain stayed off until about 2:30 pm, and thereafter it was just a fine drizzle. Conditions seemed quite good here - I worked several GMs, including 2M0LEW/P in IO86NM.

There were some PHENOMENAL signals from the vicinity of Winter Hill!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Popped up Titterstone today , however due to activating from the car unable to officially call it an activation. Decided to play on 10 FM and worked 4 stations 2 Italians, 1 French and 1 German!! 10 is wide open on FM can only imagine how good SSB must be at the moment

Matt 2E0XTL

Sporadic on DM/RP-408 today: SV9CVY / 144 MHz SSB / 15:07 UTC / 1402 mi (2257 km) / up to 59+ for a moment.

73, Jörg DL1DLF

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Yesterday, driving from my mothers house in Cleveland to G/SP-006 I was unable to listen to any UK radio station on the car radio (band 2)without it fading out to be replaced with a foreign station. The band was full of stations from Poland, Italy and Spain, there was also some arabic speaking stations - presumably N Africa. I did have the 5 ele 2m beam in the car - but had intentionally left the coax at home. The activation on White Hill saw 10m wide open, however I had to be quick as I had to get home to get the dogs out of the kennels. In the event, I arrived 5 mins after the kennels shut so it`s cost me another ÂŁ17 :frowning:

In reply to G1INK:

I experienced the same and had to get in the car and see what was about. Drove to Titterstone and worked Austria twice on 2.5 watts into a 1/4 wave whip on 6. Equally worked Italy and Portugal on 29.300 FM using a cut down CB antenna and 25 watts!!

Conditions were superb yesterday! Will be walking up Pen y Fan soon will aim for a lunchtime activation so that I can stand some chance of working DX on 6!

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Conditions were superb yesterday!

Indeed they were. Phil G4OBK told me he worked China on 6m CW which is not too bad at all!

Andy
MM0FMF

It was a good night on The Cloud G/SP-015 on Tuesday 22nd June 2010 - or was it?

In glorious weather, I drove down from Macclesfield, having taken the decision to forego Argentina vs Greece in the World Cup, in favour of the RSGB 6m contest. The ascent and set-up was in shirt sleeves on a busy summit. Lots and lots of passers by wanted to ask me lots of questions about my activity.

Switching the radio on after connecting to the Delta loop, I could hear Latvia calling. This was at about 7.40pm local time; sadly I didn’t hear that station again in the contest window.

The contest was good in that I got loads more DX contacts than ever before, and no doubt a bigger score than ever before. A greater portion of my contest contacts were on CW compared to usual. DXCCs worked were G, GW, GM, OH, DL, GI, SM, SP, YU, OK and OE. But the downside was that with all the QRM and pile-ups across the bands, I only made 42 QSOs!

Good fun nonetheless.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Certainly good fun.

I elected to try Ben Vrackie, GM/CS-065. I must have passed hundreds of SOTA summits on the 85 mile journey each way but the forecast suggested more sunshine and less wind to the east.

I eventually got my new 2 element delta-quad up about 8:15 local time. It is a bit of a handful for one person to get up and can only be put on a SOTA pole in the lightest of winds.

It was worth the effort - 32 QSOs in 10 contries. That is probably 30 more QSOs than I’ve made on any other 6m activity evening. Included in the contacts were a couple of SOTA chasers from the continent which was a bonus.

WIth clear skies it never really got dark so there was no hurry on the descent. Got back to the car about midnight and back home about 2am by which time it was just about daylight again.

In reply to M1EYP:

Very poor performance from me: 12DXCC’s out of 87 qsos. For some reason IO93 was in a black hole last night and most probably JO03 too: Bryn also seemed to have a bad night. Worked Jesper OX3KQ after the contest (I think the rest of Europe did as well)
 typical!

Definitely up for some 6M SOTA action at the weekend.

73, Chris