Splits?

In reply to F6ENO:

In reply to GW0DSP:

Maybe we can play at F/shafen 2008 :slight_smile:

I was thinking about that this night… !!!
It would be funny… “SOTA orchestra”

73 Alain

I think it would be very cruel for the ears of the audience, hi, maybe better if they drink lots of wheat beer first, hi.

73 Mike

In reply to G4SSH:

Hi Roy,

The problem is the blind adherence to 7032 KHz. There is another 30
KHz below which is often quite free. It is convenient for chasers to
have a spot on which to listen, but this could be overcome by
activators posting a different spot on the alerts page, such as 7022
KHz. Norby LX1NO and Dan DH8DX regularly do this during contests by
use of the Spotlite tip-off, with excellent results.

Since I have not been doing self spotting so far I find 7032 kHz as useful calling frequency. Perhaps the first chaser could find a new free frequency below and spot it to the others. This would free the calling frequency to other activators.

An other possibility to avoid confusion between activators using QRP power is to start always with the call sign and repeate the call if there is no reply. For example

SP4ABC UR 599 5NN BK

SP4ABC BK

R R F5VGL TU 519 519 QSB QRM BK

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

Hi Jaakko

Yes, if you have no spotlite then you have to call on 7032 KHz in order to be spotted by a chaser. However 7032 could be used as a calling frequency. Once a chaser has been contacted, the activator can ask them to spot a QSY to a working frequency in the 40m band.

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4SSH:

Yes, if you have no spotlite then you have to call on 7032 KHz in
order to be spotted by a chaser. However 7032 could be used as a
calling frequency. Once a chaser has been contacted, the activator can
ask them to spot a QSY to a working frequency in the 40m band.

Roy, let’s try this next week. I will be in F/PE region and you are often the first chaser…!! I will call first on 7032 then QSY down (say 7026) when spotted. Hope also that spotlite will be OK for me.
Will try to activate many new ones, starting from Reims on monday.

Best 73
Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:

Hi Alain.

Fine. This would be worth a try and I will listen out for you.

However, propagation on 40m is very variable at the moment. Last weekend I copied all six F-station activations, but today I am struggling to copy a single French station.

I suggest that if you cannot make contact with me you work 2 or 3 chasers before QSY’ing so that someone will be listening and spot the move.

Roy