Special calls for GI

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of SOTA in GI, (Northern Ireland), I have 2 special calls until the end of July 2022.

From home I have GB2OGI (thats Oscar Golf India) and from the summit of GI/AH-003 I have the call GB5OTA

I look forward to many contacts using the special callsigns from home and and from the summit. Unfortunately the licensing authority in the UK will only allow the use of the calls from 1 specific location.

All contacts will be uploaded to LoTW (info is on QRZ)

73 Victor GI4ONL

15 Likes

Hello Victor @GI4ONL.

I was quite surprised by the callsign that called me today until I remembered your post here :slight_smile: Thanks for the QSO today :+1: :beers:

73 Marcel DM3FAM

2 Likes

Thanks Victor,

Nice QSO today.

MM0YCJ

I felt the same way… but now I have already been chased a few times … slowly I get used to it! :innocent:

73 Armin

That explains. Thanks for the qso today!

73, OE/ON4UP

Hi Victor, nice to work you earlier today from Wales as GW0MHF/P on my first hf activation. 40m was very sucessfull, but I only got one QSO on 20m, that into Slovakia.
Good luck with your special event callsigns.
John

1 Like

This Morning, (Saturday 16th July), I hope to air GB5OTA from GI/AH-003, starting on CW and then SSB on various bands.

Hopefully I will be able to spot on Sotawatch and I have an alert on.

73 Victor GI4ONL

2 Likes

Hi Victor !
A lot of work to send your call GB2OGI to other portable station :wink:
Always was on frequency and even despite your announcement they were a little surprised with this call sign :crazy_face:
I was not present today but I hope that with GB5OTA it was easier :+1:

Truly Éric
F5JKK

3 Likes

Was CW :+1:

Hi Eric, I was surprised that I didn’t hear your call today. I had a good activation with GB5OTA and you will hopefully get a chance to get it in your log as I hope to get out a few more times with it before it expires on 31st July, always from GI/AH-003

Yes, you are correct that GB2OGI has thrown a few of the activators, but they are getting a bit more used to it now.

73 Victor GI4ONL / GB5OTA / GB2OGI

2 Likes

I have been asked by a few people why I used GB5OTA and not GB5OTA/P from the summit. The answer is simple, in the UK all licences for special callsigns beginning with GB are issued from a specific fixed location therefore the use of /P or /M with these calls is prohibited.

73 Victor GI4ONL / GB5OTA / GB2OGI

3 Likes

Victor, I heard you calling on 2m from GW/NW-037 as I was about to pack up.
I replied to you a couple of times but I don’t think you heard me with my measly 5W as you said you were going QRT. Would have been a good S2S contact - the conditions on 2m were good yesterday!

Hi Pete, that’s a shame as it would have been a good S2S. I was also running 5W but a local station popped up on the frequency without checking if it was clear and because of this I think I missed a few calls - oh well, next time :wink:

73 Victor

1 Like

Thanks for the 2 contacts Victor with your GB callsign.
Stay safe and best 73

Today, Thursday, I hope to be on the summit of GI/AH-003 using GB5OTA. Approx ETA is 11:15 UTC, watch the spots, usual MO CW first then SSB

2 Likes

FB Victor - you appeared one minute early with me!

73 Phil

1 Like

Tnx for the GB5OTA contact Victor. My rig was a QCX 5W. GL on the summit!

72/44 Carel PA0CMU

2 Likes

Apologies Phil, I will try to be more punctual in future :joy:

Hi Carel, your 5W was doing a FB job and you were a good strong 579 with me. The rig at my end was KX2 with 10W into a link dipole.

73 Victor

1 Like

Today, Sunday 31st July, is the last day for using the special calls for GI and I hope to be on GI/AH-003 this morning with my good friend Robert GI0NCA. We will be using the call GB5OTA with me on CW and Robert on SSB on various bands.

Approx ETA is 10:00 UTC, we hope to hear from the summit.

73 Victor GI4ONL

3 Likes