SP Sudetes winter wonderland overnighter - Day 1

I thought I would write a short report on the activations of SP/SW-001 and SP/SW-002 last week-end. Poland is not featured very often on the reflector and I think this trip is an excellent opportunity to showcase this part of the world!

I had been waiting for decent weather to go hiking in the Śnieżnik landscape part and activate its main summits, Czarna Góra SP/SW-002 (Black Mountain) and Śnieżnik SP/SW-001. The opportunity came with a forecast of two sunny and cold days on Sunday and Monday. I planned a day off, and frantically packed my backpack on Saturday evening after going sledding with the family.

~~ Photograph legend is below each photograph ~~

I left home on Sunday morning at a comfortable 8.30am, and after less than two hours, I reached Międzygórze. I put on my shoes, gaiters and there I was, going through the town and wondering what I had forgotten at home… it turned out much later, than I had not forgotten anything :wink:

Shortly, I had my first goal of the day in sight, Czarna Góra. The walk was gentle and uneventful.

I reached the popular peak (a lift on the other side of the mountain brings skiers a 10 minutes walk to the summit).

I deployed my slim-jim antenna and made 16 FM contacts - by far my personal record in Sudety (it certainly helped that I announced my trip on local Facebook forums!) and a good DX at 164kms. After having a cup of tea, I was in a hurry to come down the mountain to part with the crowds…

Realizing my timing was pretty good, I decided to take a detour and visit Mariańskie Skały, a group of rocks slight off the main path which I had never seen. It proved a good idea; the view was splendid; I could admire Śnieżnik (on the left), as well as the place I chose to bivouac in the evening, Średniak, the summit in the foreground on the right.

I kept going and eventually reached my bivouac place, more than an hour before sunset which gave me ample time to create a platform for the tent. I didn’t regret taking my SnowClaw which made this work a lot easier! It’s a practical tool to carry snow for melting as well :slight_smile:

After a warm dinner, I spend long minutes enjoying the sunset and taking a lot of pictures!

A lot of pictures…

After the sunset, the temperature dropped very quickly; I snugged into my sleeping bag, watched a movie on my phone as it was still early. At around 8pm, I turned off the lights and went to sleep.

Link to Day 2

22 Likes

Thanks for the great report with beautiful pictures.
I can’t wait for your next activation report!

Guru

Wow. Stunning pictures. And lots more snow than we normally get in England.

Oh, the same here each time, when I’m starting an activation. :worried:

Hi Romain,

Amazing achievement & beautiful adventure :wink:
Winter hiking with overnight is awesome.
You are hero !

73, Jarek

Thanks for super photos Romain. What an adventure !
73 Dave

If you didn’t tell me it was Poland I would have guessed the Adirondack Mts in New York State! Beautiful pictures and thanks for the motivation.