South Downs Way

Hi, everyone.

I’m not sure how I talked myself into this one - maybe the thought of five very nice summits en route got the better of me.

Last time I did them as individual activations and I had the FT-857. This time it will just be the FT-817. There’s lots to take for a week’s trek and there’s only so much I can carry. For the same reason, battery life is limited so please bear with me.

Looking at the signal strengths, despite the 10dB loss most of the QSOs we made last time should still be possible. I’ll hear you much better than you can hear me.

Times posted are approximate and I’ll self-spot if I’m more wildly-out than usual.

Let’s hope the WX stays good and conditions are favourable on 2m.

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:

Good luck Richard. Will look out for you.

Robert
G0PEB

In reply to G0PEB:

Thanks, Robert. Much appreciated.

As an aside, I wonder which National Trail or other LDP crosses the most SOTA Summits?

Here’s my (short) list:

South Downs Way - 5
Cotswold Way - 1 (within 1/4 mile)
Gloucestershire Way - 2 (within 1/2 mile)

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:

Best wishes for your trek Richard. I certainly hope the weather is kind to you, particularly as it sounds like you will be under canvas since you infer recharging facilities will be at a premium. Will keep an ear out for you.

All the best and take care.

73, Gerald

P.S. Other routes with summits on them obviously include the Pennine Way and Offa’s Dyke, but I’ve not totted up how many summits on these.

In reply to G4ERP:

In good weather I think the SDW is one of the finest walks in England. It is quintessentially English in a way that many upland walks are not. I hope that you enjoy it.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Gerald, Richard.

Yes, I’m camping for all except one night so I’ve no battery charging capability. It will be a challenge managing battery usage. I dismissed solar charging but just now the forecast makes it look like that was a poor decision.

Richard, I know you have cycled it and I agree with your comments. From the bits I’ve seen during the long weekend we spent down there last year, it should be good.

Thanks to you both for the good wishes.

73, Richard

ps I’m expecting Tom to pop up with some statistics for other LDPs!

In reply to G4ERP:

Southern Upland Way crosses (within 4kms) of 23 SOTA summits

Cairn Pat
Lamachan Hill
Craiglee
MillFore
Craignell
Whether Hill
Colt Hill
Green Hill
Green Lowther
Well Hill
Hodds Hill (direct over summit)
Scaw’d Fell
Croft Head
Capel Fell
Etrrick Pen
Andrewhinney Hill
Ward Law
The Wiss
Deuchar Law
Minch Moor
Eildon Mid Hill
Dirrington Great Law

Andy
MM0FMF

ps I’m expecting Tom to pop up with some statistics for other LDPs!

OK, go on then…! * = slightly off route]

Pennine Way

Kinder Scout SP-001
Black Hill SP-002
Fountains Fell NP-017
Pen-y-ghent NP-010
Dodd Fell Hill NP-016*
Great Shunner Fell NP-006
Kisdon NP-026*
Dufton Pike NP-027*
Cross Fell NP-001
The Cheviot SB-001

Offa’s Dyke Path

Black Mountain SW-041
Hergest Ridge WB-008
Bradnor Hill WB-011*
Long Mountain-Beacon Ring MW-026
Cyrn-y-Brain NW-043*
Moel Gyw NW-053*
Foel Fenlli NW-051*
Moel Famau NW-044
Penycloddiau NW-054

Gritstone Trail

The Cloud SP-015

Sandstone Trail

Raw Head SP-016

South Downs Way

Butser Hill SE-004
Chanctonbury Ring SE-009
Ditchling Beacon SE-006
Firle Beacon SE-010
Wilmington Hill SE-011

E2E

Rather a lot, any takers???

Ulster Way

Ditto

North Downs Way

Botley Hill SE-005*
Detling Hill SE-013*
Cheriton Hill SE-015*

There’s also the Cambrian Way, the South West Coast Path (Jimmy says goes over Selworthy Beacon SC-005), the Shropshire Way, the Mortimer Trail, the Cleveland Way and the Coast 2 Coast Path that take in SOTA summits (or pass through SOTA AZs). Lots to do!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I knew you wouldn’t disappoint!

Super stuff, Tom. Thanks.

73, Richard

Morning, all.

Thanks to everyone who supported me during my walkabout. After hours spent walking in solitude, it was always great to hear familiar voices.

A couple of apologies:

1. No self-spotting. I don’t know what has happened since the last time I used it, but I couldn’t get it working.

2. I’m afraid I cancelled my activation of Wilmington Hill yesterday morning. Two reasons. a) The storm that nearly blew me off Firle Beacon when it was starting, had not quite subsided when I awoke the following morning after a rather disturbed night in the tent. b) Gill had had to book my coach ticket after I left and she was advised that I should arrive earlier at London Victoria than I had anticipated. That meant catching an earlier train from Eastbourne.

Nevertheless, a super week’s walking in stunning scenery. Thanks, all. Photos and a report (of sorts) to follow.

Richard

Congratulations on the walk Richard. It is one I would like to do myself sometime. Although taking the soft option of B&B / YHs and baggage courier!

I look forward to the photos. Are you putting them on a website with the reports, blog-style? I love LDP photo blogs!

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to G4ERP:
Hi Richard,
Well done. I was in Ireland from Friday to Sunday, so missed most of your activations.
Frank

In reply to G3RMD & M1EYP:

Thanks, both.

Tom. I would like to write my memoirs - if only as a record for myself of an amazing six days. What I do with them at that point, I don’t know. Let’s see how it turns out. So far all I have is jottings made on the return journey of “issues” during the walk.

Oh, I don’t have a web site and my daughter had to explain Blogging!

Looking at the photos, there aren’t many good landscape ones because of poor visibility due to the heat - until after the gales of Monday night, that is. There are some stunning ones of the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head.

If you get to do the SDW, you won’t regret it - even if your feet might. The walking is VERY hard on the feet after our usual territory.

Frank. Thanks for the one QSO we did manage and also for the spot. I hope Ireland went well. I’ll be in the shack this evevning “mopping up”, as it were.

73, Richard

Congratulations on completing the South Downs Way Richard.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Well done Richard, it was good to hear you from the SE summits.

Robert
G0PEB