SOTAwatch App

I downloaded a SOTAwatch App for my Android phone the other night, which appears to be a fairly new (free) addition to the market. It’s fairly basic, only allowing you to change the number of hours you wish to show spots for, but the text for the spots is large, making easy reading for people with standard sized phones. Apparently the developer is hoping to add a way of sending spots at some point. useful too if you wish to a make a quick check of who’s about.

Jonathan
2E0CTW

In reply to 2E0CTW:
Sounds lovely. Could we persuade you to reveal the site where one can do the download?

Elliott, K6ILM
No substitute
for elevation

In reply to K6ILM:
Hi Elliot

It was just from the App Market on my phone. I did a search for Amateur Radio apps and it came up with this one amongst others. It was fairly small, a few 100 kbs if I remember correctly. Obviously a search for SOTA or SOTAwatch should take you straight to it.

Jonathan
2E0CTW

In reply to 2E0CTW:
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the heads up on this one, nice find. I have just downloaded it and it looks very good at first glance.

73s
Andrew, G4AFI

In reply to 2E0CTW:

This is a brilliant app! Small, simple, easy to operate and extremely clear to read on a small screen.

I hope a similar app for sending spots from a smart-phone will come out soon.

Thanks, Jonathan, for the heads-up!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
It looks like it doesnt auto refresh so you need to hit Refresh to keep it up to date. On the plus side the display is very clear with good use of colour.

73s
Andrew, G4AFI

In reply to G4AFI:

I found that too, but maybe a future update will auto-refresh. For me, who spends the odd few minutes at time on the radio, it’s a good app to just check quickly without leaving the computer running for ages. As you say, it’s bright and easily read.

Walt- No problem, only too pleased to share it!

Cheers
Jonathan

Sorry to be thick, but, what is the exact name of this app?

Everybody’s talking about it but I’m not sure if I’ve already got it and just not finding new ones or what…don’t seem to be spotting it through all of the euphemism and allusions :wink:

73 de Jason
HL4ZFA

In reply to HL4ZFA:
On Android Market (Playstore) it’s called SOTAwatch :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

In reply to HL4ZFA:
On Android Market (Playstore) it’s called SOTAwatch :slight_smile:

Duh–no brainer!
I’ll have to try it out on the XYL’s phone when I get home then–I see it hasn’t been ported to iOS yet.

Thanks!

In reply to HL4ZFA:

I see it hasn’t been ported to iOS yet.

It’s very interesting to note how Android now seems to be the first choice of OS for new apps. Will the move away from iOS accelerate when ‘Buffy’ enters the arena next year?

:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Android now seems to be the first choice of OS for new apps

It’s certainly not Windows Phone! [snigger snigger]

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I will check the app out, for me I check this site out on my mobile using opera mini, this browser compresses data on a server then sends it to your phone. Pics are not as good but its the fastest browser I’ve used on my android, like having broadband on your mobile / cell phone.

Sean M0GIA

In reply to G3NYY:

For iOS, get Pocket SOTA, which includes a bunch of other stuff, like showing summits near you on a map. That has been available for a while.

The author is N3WG, who has several other neat apps, plus a wifi-to-rig controller box (pigtail). See: http://pignology.net/

wunder
K6WRU

I’m using HamLog App. for few months with my iPad and i can say that’s great when you are in SOTA.
You can send your log to eQSL.cc, send .csv and adif files anyway soon i’ll buy a pigtail.

I’m also using SOTA pocket App. I like it but for my own opinion. Summits are alphabetized but not classified by number.
I prefer by number …

73 Roger

Hello all,

I am glad that my application is used by someone :slight_smile:

I have updated it, now it does have an auto refresh feature and also does spot filtering by mode. The update will be advertised by the Play app automatically on your phone/tablet. In the next update I will make it possible to send spots from it. I plan to add better filtering options per band/mode and also notifications for new spots.

It is a very basic application and I intent to keep it that way. It is free to use and also free from any ads or other crap and will also stay so.

Everyone is invited to submit suggestions here, in the Play store or via email.

Sanjin
e71dx

In reply to E71DX:
Hi Sanjin,

Just downloaded your upload. Looks like a big improvement. I’ll email you my comments once I’ve checked it out.

73s
Andrew G4AFI

In reply to E71DX:

Many thanks Sanjin, I will download the new version soon. I’m sure you will get quite a lot more downloads of it in the near future. For me, it’s simplicity is one of it’s reedeeming features. Please keep up the good work!

Jonathan
2E0CTW

In reply to E71DX:

Thank you very much, Sanjin. I have downloaded the update. Very good!

To K6WRU, thanks for the info. I have just bought Pocket SOTA for my iPad. It’s only 69p. A very useful app, especially the maps showing “summits nearby”. I agree with Roger … I would prefer the summits to be listed in numerical order, rather than alphabetically.

Walt (G3NYY)