Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

SOTApole end caps

Some excellent ideas here.

Hopefully this topic will provide a resource for others in the future.

Colin, M1BUU

In reply to M1BUU:

For Australian Haverford 7m squid pole owners,

The top cap is very easy to lose, tends to catch on scrub and flip off, lost mine a while ago.

Bunnings Hardware stores sell round rubber chair leg protectors, these fit snugly over the top of the pole and have yet to come off in the thickest of scrub. Just have to remember where you put it and replace after activating.

73 Ian VK1DI

In reply to GM1CMF:
Yes, I have found this works well.
The downside is that the bung/string catches badly in heather, bilberry and, worst of all, gorse all of which seem prolific on SOTA summits.

Afternoon all

I have been using a stain remover ball from Persil Washing up liquid on a 7m pole seems to fit well and is secured In place with a zip tie around it (bottom part).
Still looking for something for the top part.


In reply to M0OAT:

Milk bottle cap and neck fixed with duck tape?


73, Gerald G4OIG

currently the owner of two poles both with their bungs… for now!

1 Like

Back in 2014, I did as Gerald suggested in his post.
Not exactly a milk bottle cap but a Solan de Cabras mineral water one. This one:
I cut the bottle neck, adjusted it to the top end of my fishing rod without the top cap, I wrapped the cut bottle neck and the fishing rod end with electrical tape as necessary for a perfect fit and it’s been there for 5 years now without needing any further repair or maintenance. I have a threaded cap now and it’s a lot better than the original press-fit cap.


1 Like

My take on the replacement universal cap is self amalgamating tape. Satisfies all diameters. Manufacturing time 36hrs.

Cut 4 pieces, 5" plus one diameter in length.
Place 2 pieces neatly in the form of a cross.
Place 2 more pieces neatly in the form of a second cross.

Press down with a weight to let the amalgamating process take effect overnight.

Lightly apply silicone grease to the pole outside diameter.
Place one cross over the end of the pole. Fold the pieces down the sides of the pole.
Secure temporarily with a cable tie round the ends of the pieces.

Place the second cross on top of the first, rotated 45degrees from the first cross.
Again fold the pieces down the sides of the pole. This is a bit fiddly, you really need 4 hands.
Carefully position the pieces and again secure as above.

When satisfied with the positioning, fit 4 cable ties to hold the self amag together.
Leave overnight for more magic to occur.

After breakfast, remove the cable ties and apply a layer of insulating tape to the cap external diameter. It may be useful to apply a little super glue to the tail of the tape to make a permanent bond.

The first time of removing the cap it may be a little tight but it soon eases up. Apply a little silicone grease as necessary.

Carefully trim the cap diameter to the length required.

Fit a boot lace to stop your new cap getting adventure-lust beyond it’s station.

David G0EVV


Let me show you some pictures:
imagen imagen imagen


Yes, much as mine Guru. I dispensed with my Flickr account, so the photo is below. I like this method as milk bottle tops are readily available and spares can be carried so ensuring you never lose one when on an activation. If you leave the spare at home, then off flies the one fitted. :grinning:


As soon as I lost the end cap of my SOTApole, a solution came by chance!!!

1 Like