SOTA Youtube Group

A while back Youtube changed things making the group facility less useful. I figured out a work-around to make sure that the latest video was listed on the first page. However, a couple of months back they clearly changed something else and that work-around no longer works.

If we have any Youtube experts who can figure out a way of listing a URL that will display recent videos first, please share it here and I will pass it to Jon (SOTAwatch developer) for possible inclusion as the link on the SOTAwatch main page.

Thanks.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I’m no expert, but maybe a work round would be to have a separate web page where you could use embedding to display the videos from YouTube in some sort of order. This would involve some work to add the latest additions when they came in. You could probably host something like that at Blogger or Wordpress for free as a sort of SOTA vido blog.

Another thought is that video can be posted on Flickr too. We already have two SOTA Flickr groups, creating another for videos only should not be to much of a problem.

Also if you created a sticky message on the reflector you could simply paste the newest URLs in to a big list that you could edit when it is updated.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to G3CWI:

For that matter, it would be great to have a work around that allowed people to post videos at all.

I know I can only successfully add videos to the youtube group on rare occasion with no pattern apparent. I know many other hams can’t post at all…and it seems like youtube has known about the problem for some time now but does not seem to have fixed it…perhaps if the group maintainer approached youtube they would get moving?

In any event when I can add videos I go around and check some of the well known SOTA videographers to see if there is anything to be added…but I too cant seem to comb through their videos listed recent videos first…which makes combing through their videos a bit confusing.

Also, I just checked the SOTA youtube group and all of the “topics” seem to have dissappeared. The only way I could add videos in the past few weeks was to first click on a topic and then add a video…

Tom

In reply to N2YTF:

perhaps if the
group maintainer approached youtube they would get moving?

Unlikely I think Tom. It is a free service offered by a multi-million dollar company and I suspect that I have will have little influence!

Maybe we should look to moving away from Youtube - any thoughts?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Richard,
How about Vimeo.com It allows groups and seems more civilised than Youtube.
The only upload restrictions for users (with a free account) are… 500Mb and 1HD movie per week.
I just created a group there for a demo … I can transfer ownership if needed.

There are a number of SOTA videos already on vimeo…

Andrew - K1YMI / GM1YMI

In reply to K1YMI:
I know I once figured out how to save videos from youtube onto my computer, but is there any easy way to transfer all that is on the youtube group to vimeo?

You would think that Vimeo would make some sort of automated script to grab videos from youtube if you switched over…I know Gmail has something like that for switching from yahoo…unfortunately it does not work quite right.

Tom

In reply to K1YMI:

Andrew

Thanks. I have e-mailed the MT for guidance.

Richard
G3CWI