Sota watch link to APRS??

Is the SOTA watch system linked to the APRS system of positional reporting?? i have recently re-activated my APRS for activations and stuff, and was surprised to find it had me listed on all my recently activated hills from my recent visit to North Wales!

Many thanks

Alan 2E0JWA

It would normally be the other way around, APRS would be posting data to SOTAwatch.

Spots arrive by several methods:

• internet connection, someone places a spot

• SMS connection, you send a correctly formatted SMS to a special SMS number and the SMS is converted to a spot if you are registered

• RBNHole which uses RBN data feed and matches some datamode CQs and CW CQs against alerts and posts a spot if found

• APRS, you send a suitably formatted APRS systems position message and the SOTA - APRS server posts a spot but you need to be registered with this server

Christophe ON6ZQ was and maybe still is running something that was taking SOTAwatch spots and placing APRS markers on APRS-IS maps. But I don’t know if that was 24/7 or just for experiments.

2 Likes

I suspect its that then, as i didn’t do it via the other methods (other than a normal “spot” on the watch page), I just used the mobile app… id be interested in finding out how i link my APRS with this system… could be handy!

Cheers

Alan 2E0JWA

1 Like

The ham radio RF version of APRS is worth trying. It’s more fun IMHO.

yea, i need to figure that all out… but got a bit much on ATM with the full licence course ETC! but im definitely going to look into using an android phone to a baofeng or similar and set a beacon up, apparently its possible…

Definitely one to watch out for, if i were to set an APRS beacon up form home it would have a MASSIVE coverage!

Cheers

Alan - 2E0JWA

1 Like

https://www.on6zq.be/w/index.php/SOTA/SOTA2APRS

1 Like

So does that scrape the info off the “sota watch” site, then convert it to APRS info then?? its rather cool like!

Cheers

Alan

There is an API to fetch assorted datasets from the SOTA infrastructure which you can then use as you like. Scraping is very 90s!

1 Like

bit like me then! hahaha

Cheers - Alan

1 Like