I like recording videos. SOTA videos make possible to remember nice landscapes and also capture the excitement of operating portable. That’s why I did some videos and shared them in youtube: it’s a good way to remember past adventures and invite others to join us…
As we are approaching changes in the lockdown situation I can imagine how eagerly are we of recovering SOTA activations. We could be activating again safely.
The idea is the following: I would like to edit a video showing many different SOTA activators and chasers on screen. Would you like to participate?
During the last weeks we all missed to meet many friends on air, and I thought that recording a video to show us, in beautiful landscapes is a good way to explain why SOTA, mountain topping, nature and amateur radio is so special for us, and that this activity provides an international friendship network.
The idea is to create a short film joining short clips (10 – 15 seconds) recorded by many contributors from different parts in the world and explaining visually why SOTA is so much fun for you!
Most of us meet frequently on air either chasing or activating. This is an oportunity to see many of these familiar voices (an dit dashes!) together in a funny video, just to share in a motivational way, why SOTA is special.
Later we could use this video for any of our lectures when we explain in our ham clubs and meetings about the SOTA programme.
I know we can not record it now, many of us are still waiting at home, but you can start thinking and planning where you could record that short clip and send it to me, if you wish, so that I will add it to the footage.
Is there a nice place you could go that you could record with your smartphone for us? Remember all I need is a short clip (or a few of them).
If you are just a chaser, no worry, you can still record yourself in the shack working us or just greeting.
You could record:
- Scenery / nature / landscape / sunrise - sunset / and of course… mountains
- Yourself climbing / walking / operating / greeting
- An S2S bothways would be fine!
- Yourself saying a very short sentence starting with “SOTA is…” and adding one ending like: fun / life / nature / healthy / messy (in a pile up, i.e.) / energy / a challenge / adventure / friendship / sport / breathtaking / cool / etc…
If you wish to join, I will need you to send me your clips (you can send more than one, of course). Remember: I will need them recorded:
- Landscape (avoid recording with the mobile phone vertical, better horizontal)
- Choose high quality record setting (not small video size). Mobile phones record at a higher quality with the back side camera in your phone than with the front (selfie)
- Check if the audio is good (avoid wind noise, if possible…)
- Avoid backlighting (don’t record a selfie with you against the sun in the backgroud or you will be a dark image)
- Avoid shacking your phone while recording, most don’t have image stabilization.
- If you record scenery, move the camera smoothly
That’s it. I could collect your videos during some time (a couple months, perhaps?) so that we can record on holidays, with better weather… We can agree on the dates and publish a calendar later on.
I don’t intend to claim ownership for the final video but would keep it open to you and can upload in youtube for free viewing at the end, unless you propose something different.
Ideas welcome. Do you want to participate? SOTA is you!
73 de Ignacio
P.s. If you are interested get in contact with me by email
We would agree how to deliver the video files.