SOTA SSTV

Hi Tom,
I listened for you on 14.230 on Nov.11, but no copy. Instead then I made my first SSTV qso on 14.233 with EU6KA.
Hope for better luck next time.
Mirko S52CU

2 Likes

Earlier I was using this one :rofl:

4 Likes

Nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you using Martin 1 on MMSSTV, Tom, or have you gone to Easypal?

No time today but tonight I will install them on the current computer and later after I have re-familiarised myself with the mode I will put it on my tablet with activations in mind.

There is a daily local net on 2m using easypal, Iā€™ll look out for them and give you more info when Iā€™ve got it.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve used Scottie 1 & 2, Martin 1 and Robot 24 on MMSSTV Brian. Not tried Easypal - maybe something else to download to my tablet. Yes some more info about your local net would be appreciated.

Totally agree Andy. Same goes for computer logging when a notepad and pencil is much more satisfying and noble. Then thereā€™s morse keyers - surely only straight key activating is worthwhile? And then there is the whole business of amateur radio itself. What is wrong with going to someoneā€™s house, knocking on the door and having a real conversation?

[Lockdown restrictions notwithstanding].

Truth is, thereā€™s no point to any of it - apart from doing it because you can, and because you enjoy it.

Thatā€™s a bold claim, that I will, eventually, prove wrong. :wink:

2 Likes

Whoosh!

Simulating/emulating an obsolete modulation scheme from the 70s using a piece of electronics that fits in an 8x10x0.3in package, runs for hours on a battery and has more computer power than the whole of the UK had in the 70s is just daft unless the other end is using a vintage piece of hardware.

1 Like

What a strange way of looking at it! Sneering at the technology? Wow!

You are sending and receiving pictures, that is it, pure and simple. The technology is irrelevant, its just the means to the end, its obsolescence no more relevant than the obsolescence of a microphone or a morse key. On the SSTV nets that I used to participate in, we almost never discussed the technology unless somebody was having problems, we showed pictures that we thought were interesting or beautiful, and participated in discussions about them. We enjoyed it. It was fun.

1 Like

Talking of problems, I have now installed MMSSTV on my computer, but the file wonā€™t open on my tablet, I just get a ā€œcanā€™t open fileā€ message, I suppose it might be incompatible with the OS. Later I intend to install Easypal. Meanwhile, back to the garden!

1 Like

Is there an SSTV-capable Windows application that is both free and not antique?

1 Like

KG-SSTV does digital error correction and has an ARQ mode to request corrupted block resends

Easypal is based on DRM (which is an extension to NATO STANAG 4285)

So there are plenty of picture modes that leverage all the pent up MIPS people carry about.

1 Like

But Tom is analogue?

1 Like

Iā€™m using MMSSTV Simon which is very user-friendly and simple.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s one way of describing him. :wink:

It doesnā€™t like Brian!

1 Like

Probably the OS as Brian says. I got a refurb Windows tablet off Amazon and installed SSTV - and everything worked straight away.

Mind you I still canā€™t seem to decode RTTY with FLdigi, even though I did finally get PSK working with that software.

2 Likes

Ok, Iā€™ll give that a go again.

1 Like

Correct sideband Tom.

You can practice tuning and how sideband swapping affects the decode if you use Deutsche Wetterdienst DDK9 on 10100.8kHz or DK0WCY on 10144kHz or DK0WCY as DRA5 on 5195kHz.

1 Like

Cheers Andy. I recall that on my 897 you could select either RTTY-L or RTTY-U as the DIG MODE - with RTTY-L being the one that worked! On the 817, there is just a single RTTY option that is LSB by default. I wonder if the contest RTTY signals I couldnā€™t decode a couple of weeks ago were all USB? Anyway, when I try again, Iā€™ll try the USER-U selection if the RTTY setting fails to work again.

1 Like

Just use USB or LSB as you are doing AFSK. However, I when I get home from work (i.e. walk from kitchen to shack) I will have a look at how the 817 is set up. ISTR changing some options in the menus so that I could use either the TS570 in the shack or the 817 without changing the software on PC i.e. cable from PC went into either TS570 or through an adapter (13pin DIN to 6pin miniDIN) and into 817.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t like my tablet! A half-hour messing with my computer this evening and Iā€™ll be go for at least receive.

1 Like

Sighā€¦Can hear the bell, and that model 10ā€™s keys hitting the paper nowā€¦

Ken

2 Likes