SOTA Spotter Problem

For some reason, my SOTA Spotter app on my Galaxy S20 seems to have gone rogue and is draining my phone battery in less than 6 hours, it should last 19 hours. When looking at what is straining the phone battery it says there is an issue with the app. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don’t have it, but often high current drain are a sign that the app is trying many times to make a connection (and failing). I’d suggest checking that the internet access chain is working correctly and responding quickly. The frequency of retries and refreshing content could also be checked.
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

1 Like

Despite I had some issues with sending spots in the last time, SOTA Spotter is running fine for me and definitely not draining the battery.
You could delete all settings of SOTA Spotter to start with a pristine state: To do this go to Android Settings → Apps and for SOTA Spotter clear the local storage.
Of course you have to enter your SOTA password and all other settings, again.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

1 Like

I was having problems with SOTA Spotter (no spots would appear on the page), so I uninstalled
the app with the intention of reinstalling it. Well, I can no longer find it in the Play Store. Is this the case in general, or am I doing something wrong? tnx, 73 Paul

Unfortunatly the devoloper Bogdan @YO8SAW has stopped developing the software. So it is gone.
A partial replacement called SOTA Activator is available.

I have not tested it sofar.

73 Joe

1 Like

Paul, du hast eine Mail hier im Reflektor von mir.
73 Chris

You can still download the APK file using the link below and install it manually:
https://apkpure.com/sota-spotter/ro.netroute.sotaspotter

73 Martin, OE5REO

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone – I re-installed the app and am now once again seeing spots.

Yes, the spots appear Paul, but one cannot spot oneself with SOTA Spotter any more, what a shame. This happened to the predecessor app I used (Also Android) when the author pulled it because of a tightening of GDPR laws. Another senior moment - cannot recall the apps name… but I know a man that will remember it…

73 Phil

1 Like

That is indeed a shame! What are you using today for spots, Phil?

Hi Paul

I’ve only activated once since June, that was from Kitzbueler Horn OE/TI-461 about 10 days ago. On that occasion I used SOTAWATCH 3 to spot myself. Quite successful as I had a very good cellular signal.

Maybe an IT knowledgable and clever enough operator will create another Android based app with texting ability for when the cellular signal is weak, or Bogdan will come back with renewed interest? I wouldn’t mind paying for an effective Spotter app if one was available that was as good as SOTA Spotter. We live in hope!

73 Phil

2 Likes

Rucksack Radio ?

2 Likes

Apologies to Phil if I’m missing something obvious, but I was using SOTA Spotter at the weekend, and was successfully able to spot myself, so perhaps all is not lost?

1 Like

Thanks for the info Matthew - I’ll give SOTA Spotter another try. Wasn’t working the last few times I tried…

Yes you’re right working again! Fantastic I hope it lasts.

73 Phil

2 Likes

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the previous entries EDIT
Oops Phil, the spot works as always for me. (see above OZ/DL1CR).
73 Chris

1 Like

Can I suggest VKPortaLog. It will send and list spots… but so much more too.

4 Likes

HI Gerald

I’ll keep VKPortalog in mind. Whilst SOTA Spotter is working again I’m OK, but if it stops again then I’ll set about learning VKP. Many thanks for the tip OM.

73 Phil

2 Likes

YES - It was Rucksack Radio Tool Victor (DL1DLF). Really chuffed SOTA Spotter is functioning again…

73 Phil

2 Likes

SOTASpotter failed to let me send a spot today. I was doing it via internet connection and it just hung. I managed to spot on SOTAWatch but you have to fill in all the details every time. As I do mostly CW plus 2m FM I very rarely self spot so it may be a while since it actually worked for me.

They are in the browser cache, you just tap the field and select the previous entry. Takes moments longer but appears to work for all, all of the time unlike some apps :wink: