Sota - qso with the usa

In reply to M1EYP:

We’ll be up on one of the quieter GW-NW summits (to be decided) and QRV on

20m ssb (Delta Loop)

17m ssb (Portable 3-ele)

cw if anyone is willing to do 10’s or 12’s at a push

73, Chris M1DTJ

In reply to M1DTJ:

This sounds like good fun - I’ve got a 17m vertical (3 radials) and a 20m dipole already cut, so if Wx is OK I’ll get out on one of the easy local summits (easier to carry more SLABs for the linear!), probably GM/SS-254 Cairnpapple Hill.

SSB only though I’m afraid!

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:
I am looking forward to the NA activation day, hoping i can iron out a few creases with my new vertical and get a S2S. Sean M0GIA

For those who want the maths joke explaining:

1 mb = 1 hPa

So we don’t need any formulas at all!

The formula, as Tom explained, uses the identity to convert logs of numbers in one base into logs in another base. 2.71828 is the value of e, the base for natural logarithms. So we take the base 10 log of mb value and convert it to the natural logarithm of the mb value. Then take inverse. A convoluted (but not convolved) way of saying mb = hPA.

A simpler example would be

hPa = (mb x 10) / 10

As a spotty schoolboy I can recall the higher state of enlightenment that was reached when learning all this maths and the magic of how it all worked and fitted together became clear. It truly was beautiful. As I set off for university I was looking forward to what amazing things I would learn. Sadly, student totty, cheap lager and hacking the DECSystem20 and PDP-11 systems became the norm. I don’t recall learning much other than which lager gave the smallest hangover and how to hack user accounts!

Anyway, back to the subject, like others, I’m trying to put a simple vertical together for 20m/17m. I’ll take it down to a nearby beach (possibly Cramond Island or somewhere on the Forth Estuary) to make use of the free amplifier nature gives you and see if I can bag some QSOs with the guys in NA. I’m just hoping the wx will be ok on both sides of the Atlantic.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Yes, the problem is getting out of the habit of writing mb!

How about taking the 80 metre dipole and setting it up as a V-beam to work into North America? You should achieve several dB of gain.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to MM0FMF:

Yes, the problem is getting out of the habit of writing mb!

How about taking the 80 metre dipole and setting it up as a V-beam to
work into North America? You should achieve several dB of gain.

Brian G8ADD

Resonant vertical is my choice, no sea here but nature provides us inland folk in Macc with hills which also make great amps. Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

With the ground as wet as it is at the moment we should do OK anywhere …

John GM8OTI