Sota Poem, just a giggle

In reply to MW0IDX:

In reply to M1EYP:

I always played it in Am :wink:

Roger MW0IDX

Me too Roger, but don’t forget, we play it in Welsh chords, hi.

73 Mike

So did The Animals - Am is copy key. Maybe Roger OWG has a high (or a low) singing voice…!

In reply to M1EYP:

So did The Animals - Am is copy key. Maybe Roger OWG has a high (or a
low) singing voice…!

I think the Animals version was a cover, who did the original Tom?

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

In reply to M1EYP:

So did The Animals - Am is copy key. Maybe Roger OWG has a high
(or a
low) singing voice…!

Mike

If my memory serves - Frigid Pink.

In reply to G1INK:

Having just googled it - Clarence Ashley 1934 !

In reply to G1INK:

In reply to G1INK:

Having just googled it - Clarence Ashley 1934 !

Wow as long ago as that!! Thanks Steve.

Mike

And I think that the original, from old dog-eared piano copies I have seen, might well have been in Em, so Roger OWG could well have been right as well. It is the “younger generation” that only know it in Am - you are showing your age Roger.

Have you tried those chords for your lyrics yet Mike? Or are you too busy planning next week’s “Tuesday night is SOTA night”?

In reply to M1EYP:

Have you tried those chords for your lyrics yet Mike? Or are you too
busy planning next week’s “Tuesday night is SOTA night”?

No, I haven’t had chance yet Tom will try and dig a guitar out later, got builders in and the place is upside down at the moment.

As for planning “Tuesday night is Sota night”, what planning? just needs a post on the Reflector “Right let’s do it tonight” at short notice (because of wx) and leave it up to everyone to alert on Sotawatch2, couldn’t be easier, grab your rucksack and nip up your local summit.
I might even do SP-013 next time and give you a wave Tom, hi.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

In reply to M1EYP:

So did The Animals - Am is copy key. Maybe Roger OWG has a high
(or a
low) singing voice…!

Mike

The original was Traditional by anon.
There was a version recorded as early as the 1930’s.
The first I heard it was in about 1962 (pre animals) by a certain Robert Zimerman on an LP import from the USofA. Bob Dylan as he became altered the tune and changed the words slightly ( he recorded in Am). The band I played with in 1966 to 1969 played it in Em ( I stand corrected Tom) as our singer ( Andrew with the top hat and tails up the tower ) found it fitted his voice better. I can sing it in any key but it always sounds the same - bl***y awful.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G1INK:

If my memory serves - Frigid Pink.

No, no, no. Fijid Pink’s version was from 1970 and The Animals version is from 1964.

I’ve got that Fijid Pink album somewhere. Must be nearly 30 years since it was last played!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy - actually it was 1969 :-

however, anyone admitting to having that album deserves respect. Hows this for obscure - I have Tontos expanding headband by Margouleff & Cecil. (Google it if youve not had the pleasure)
73 may be up at 5am for an activation.