SOTA photos

I think your previous post was just a touch of mischievous ironic humour Steve!

All those things you are “whinging, moaning and groaning” about - Guilty as charged! Nonetheless, I won’t whinge, moan and groan at you for not doing CW.

Because that is your choice, and I respect that.

In reply to M1EYP:

I am a bit worried that INKy might get the CW disease after a couple of activations with Klaus. Not that I am moaning :slight_smile:

73 John GW4BVE

Indeed John. As we all know, you can never be accused of moaning on the internet, just as long as you put a smiley at the end of the sentence :slight_smile:

I think “disease” is a harsh choice of word, but I have empathy with the sentiment; I come over all nauseus myself when trying to use SSB on 40m :wink:

In reply to M1EYP:

Klaus has me up tp 20 wpm already chaps. Yaesu mic going on Ebay.
From G1INK if yoo´m wondering.

In reply to DF2GN:

…it’s the wheat beer speaking I think!

In reply to G3CWI:

I have´nt touched a drop of beat wier acshually

Try some belgian beer on your way home from Germany Steve, you’ll be at 25 WPM in no time :slight_smile:

As you say, an FT817
looks like… well, an FT817.

You’ve obviously not seen Steve’s (INK) FT-857. It looks nothing like an 857.

On a more serious note, I like the pictures of the operating position, and what equipment people drag up the hills. It occaisionally gives me ideas for improvements to my setup. Rig, antennas, feeder, atu/no-atu, something to sit on, logging method etc etc etc.

I suppose people just like to see different things.

A couple of pictures of steaming soup would be useful from those connoiseurs who partake of such things :slight_smile: (smiliey so as not to be offensive).

Ian
G7ADF

In reply to 2E0HJD:

Awe you lot have got me in tucks of laughter here, I just got back from my activation and caught up with this thread, terrific humour from all!! As for Klaus teaching Inky the cw I wouldn’t hold my breath:-) More chance of 12wpm = 12 Wheatbeers per minute, hi.
If you get the chance Klaus, steal his microphone and hide it, then offer him the use of your paddle, hi.

vy 73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to 2E0HJD:

Can you put me down for 6 W1LF 2008 calenders for next year Mick saves me going into town to smiths.

Terry

In reply to M0SGB:

In reply to GW7AAV:
i might as
well go train spotting, will get loads of numbers that way,
You get stations that dont spot you any more!

Just as long as i enjoy my walk,

Steve m0sgb

I decided to take up a new hobby last night, collecting house numbers.
I’m up to 256 already and only missing that rare one, the number 13.
I really enjoyed the walk but the rucksack was a bit heavy at the end and the postman is going to have a heck of a job this morning.
Photos will be on the web site www.housenumbers.org and via Fickr.
I am breaking myself in gently by only doing streets on hills at the moment but hope to do something on the flat in the centre of town soon were the numbers go much higher.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to 2E0HJD:

W1LF would like to inform his loyal fans that he will still be posing
for photos on summits in the future,
He is also thinking of producing a 2008 calendar for next year which
will be available from all good W.H smiths.

W1LF

you can put me down for 2 thanks :slight_smile:

barry m3pxw

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to MM0FMF:

Wot, no-one in a bikini?

Me in my bikini is probably the one John had to delete… ;-))

I’m off for a few beers (wonderful continental tradition that, beer with breakfast!)

Cheers de Paul G4MD

In reply to 2E0HJD:

W1LF would like to inform his loyal fans that he will still be posing
for photos on summits in the future,
He is also thinking of producing a 2008 calendar for next year which
will be available from all good W.H smiths.

W1LF

Put me down for a W1LF calender please:-)

Just one question though, is there any chance of a shot of W1LF actually awake?

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mick must give him sleeping tablets Mike.

Terry

In reply to M0SGB:

Hi Steve,

I was anticipating the reactions from SOTA community to my original post on the Flickr photos. I had to check from my dictionary the meaning of the words “whinging”, "moaning’ and “goaring”, since I rarely hear those words.

The photography in an art. Light is the most important element in this art. Here in central Europe we are lucky since the bright sun light brings vivid colors to the photos. When you do not have enough light, taking good photos becomes a challenge. Now that everybody has a digital camera there is also a renaissance in photography, where the old know how is rediscovered. Due to this boom there are also many books in market on the photography, which tell you how to make good and interesting pictures. I think one of those could be interesting reading to you and others who want to know more about the photography.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to GW0DSP:

If you get the chance Klaus, steal his microphone and hide it, then offer him the use of your paddle, hi. <

Aha, it’s true… so these DL 10 point summits are at sea level… that’s why Klaus has a paddle isn’t it, so he can activate from a boat? :slight_smile:

73, Gerald - who still uses a straight key and can’t use a side swiper, let alone one of those iambic things. CW is vertically polarised, isn’t it?

In reply to GW7AAV:

I decided to take up a new hobby last night, collecting house numbers. I’m up to 256 already… <

I didn’t know numbers got beyond 38 in North Wales Steve… is there a street long enough? At least the walking is keeping you fit.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to GW0DSP:

73, Gerald - who still uses a straight key and can’t use a side
swiper, let alone one of those iambic things. CW is vertically
polarised, isn’t it?

Hi Geralad, I have a straight key myself, but it’s in the draw, hi, it’s ok for slower speeds but prefer the iambic paddle for the faster cw.
In all honesty, I find it to be a lot easier than a straight key, but harder at qrs, so in my case cw is most definately horizontally polarised.

73 Mike

In reply to F5VGL:

The photography in an art.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

I would agree with you in most cases Jaakko but in the case of SOTA photographs the art is secondary at best. Firstly I want to see what I am likely to find when I am out to tackle a summit, Second I want to see where and how people set up their stations and thirdly I want to see what my fellow SOTA operators and their friends look like. I want to see people enjoying themselves out on the hills, I am not in the least interested in over processed arty shots that can be found everywhere else on Flikr and the internet in general.

It seems however that John GW4BVE agrees with you so I have withdrawn my photographs which are still on Flickr under my own callsign with links on my website.

Steve GW7AAV

Imgur