Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

SOTA on Tour 3

Wednesday 17th April 2019 - The Cloud G/SP-015

Gig: The Pete Shaw Trio ft. Liam Read
Venue: The Moor Club, Heaton Moor, Stockport

Well, it’s not actually my gig tonight, but this great band have asked Liam to do a guest spot with them. That’s all the encouragement I need to shoehorn this activation report into the ‘SOTA on Tour’ threads!

While Liam was sorting out his wardrobe and ablutions, I nipped out the record an activation. It was quick and easy, for I didn’t even have to suffer the inconvenient delay of putting a coat or jumper on. Handheld, logbook, pencil - and an 8 minute walk up to the summit.

The familiar National Trust white jeep passed me the other way as I was driving through North Rode, and sure enough, when I got up The Cloud I found that the timber rails had been extended a few metres further. They now reach to the rough little stone stairway immediately before the trig point - so very nearly complete.

The activation was easy on 2m FM, with six contacts coming in, mostly ragchew mode, one after the other.

Thursday 18th April 2019 - Billinge Hill G/SP-017

Gig: Joe Longthorne
Venue: Viva Blackpool

This was a matinee gig with an 11am soundcheck. A further constraint was running my father-in-law out to Birkenhead for 9am ahead of his sailing back to Belfast. So a drive through the Wallasey Tunnel under the River Mersey, and heading for the former county top of Merseyside was really the only feasible option.

I’d already activated and qualified Billinge Hill in 2019, so there was no pressure to secure four QSOs. Good job really, as I only made two - both 2m FM on the handheld!

Great to work Rob G0HRT and Roger MW0IDX.