Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | Sotlas | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

SOTA on the telly - BBC

SOTA is to feature in a short segment to be aired on BBC television in the coming weeks.

I’ve already got some core participants from the SOTA community enlisted (thank you to those - you know who you are) - but we need some more activators.

Here’s the requirements:

• Date: Wednesday 18 May 2022
  • Time: 1400z / 3pm BST (need to be on summit, set-up, and QRV by this time) - QSOs and recording to commence around 3.30pm / 1430z.
  • Ability to make contact with a portable station in the Cardiff area - so set up on 2m FM from a suitable GW/SW or G/SC summit, or from elsewhere using 40m SSB* - though predicting the skip could be tricky!
  • Ability to make a smartphone video recording of yourself making this contact when it happens - so best is if accompanied by another person, or with a suitable stand/tripod for your phone. These video files will be submitted to the BBC for editing into the final programme. I would also suggest filming any S2S contacts that are made on the day too.

*I’m also now thinking that all participants have 20m available as well, as it would make sense to invite participation from EU and NA SOTA activators.

If you wish to take part, please email me via m1eyp@qsl.net and include a phone number that can be shared with the BBC production team.

Many thanks,

Tom M1EYP
SOTA MT Publicity Officer

24 Likes