SOTA on National radio

Eliot,
About 30% of Australians speak a language other than English as their first language. A Cantonese or Urdu accent is more common than a Cockney accent.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

@K6EL

If you are interested in accent migration I think Albion’s Seed by David Fischer might fascinate you.

Delving into the recesses of my mind, linguists can see a direct connection between the East Anglia (home of the Puritans) area accents and parts of New England centered on MA. Driving around MA was sometimes quite entertaining w.r.t. to common city/town names being geographically misaligned from my memory of the UK

Cornish et al miners migrated into PA along with a strong accent connection. The destination might be slightly off but the origin and accent implant correct. Finally, the people of the Scottish Borders who came latter to the US along with Scotts Irish from Ulster settled in Appalachia and a strong accent connection exists.

Paul

EDIT - check out the map at How four British migrations defined America - Big Think

1 Like

Thanks Paul,

Interesting.

Like the US etc we have place names derived from the UK as well as existing Aboriginal names and those of early settlers.

We have an Edinburgh in South Australia with people speaking many British accents. Many emigrated with Defence Research skills to work at the nearby Weapons Research Establishment where all the buildings are built to British plans with steep snow shedding roofs and boot cleaning grates. Exact, well to the nearest 1/16 of an inch.

Even a few SOTA peaks are named after UK peaks.
Arthur’s Seat for one. The Australian version is more activator friendly with a licenced restaurant inside the large AZ.

We don’t have any National broadcaster showcasing SOTA. Maybe Tom should take a holiday here. Do a muso’s tour?

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

I was accused of being an Aussie (by an Aussie) when visiting Melbourne some years ago - possibly because my companion was Aberdonian!

1 Like