sota on facebook

In reply to GM8OTI:

Stir, stir, … :wink:

The old Yahoo “Summits” group still seems to get a couple of dozen posts a month…

…but when I searched for “SOTA” among the interests and communities on one of the popular(-ish) blog sites I discovered that it clearly means something else in Japanese.

In reply to M0LEP:

“State Of The Art”!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Possibly a driving problem: 19 posts here, 51 in the last year on
Facebook
Yes, that’s right. There are six this year.

…made me wish we could post pictures on the Reflector, though!
No no no! … that’s what I like about the SOTA reflector, all words, quick load time, no faffing about. If you want photos there are the Flickr pages, and if you really want it all integrated then you might as well move to Facebook or some such.

I think it’s clear they can all exist harmoniously - a loose organisation like SOTA can’t afford to block all possible domains and surely SOTA people generally are a friendly enough bunch that there’s no problem with the various Facebook or whatever alternatives.

If the MT wanted to be a bit more open about other places SOTA is discussed, there would perhaps be no harm in having the links to such places (and with many associations there might end up being quite a few) somewhere on the SOTA website?

Stir, stir :wink:

John GM8OTI

addendum: actually, it could be done in this thread, like the “most humungous number of activations” thread - someone with a real interest in these things (not me) could maintain a list in this thread!

In reply to M0LEP:

…but when I searched for “SOTA” among the interests and
communities on one of the popular(-ish) blog sites I discovered that
it clearly means something else in Japanese.

Not the most common kanji. “soto” is outside. This kanji is normally read as “gai” meaning foreing. “sora” would mean sky. Anyway these are only basic kanjis and there are of course many more. I took them from book P. G. O’Neill “Essential Kanji”.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to M0SGB:
Its up to the individual if they want to join sota on facebook, we don’t hold a gun to there heads on what and when they can say things, since 1st jan 2012, facebook has had 15 new sota enthusiast to the group as well as over 35 postings, photos and videos, we can also chat in a group or personally to one another, I’m here to say sota activists have their own right on what they want to do, a lot of sota is about community spirit (not fighting all the time), we have people who want to do hills, bumps, pimples, mountains tops, to play radio, at the end of the day we are walkers with radios, i have had friends and enemies, but i was just letting some new members who visit sota, that there is a group on facebook if they want to join, not nit-picking but we have wota and summit base being posted in the group so why not sota on facebook, i’m not here to fall out with anyone, if you do facebook then OK, if you don’t then thats up to you,
steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:

That seems fair enough to me, Steve, I hope your SOTA group prospers - don’t worry if some people are “agin” the idea of Facebook, we’re all entitled to opinions.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Ok brian i could go on for ever, but no im human at the end of the day and have a life, like everyone else but do it other way around from others,
Steve m0sgb