SOTA News February 2018

SOTA NEWS FEBRUARY 2018 - Part 1 of 2

Editorial - by Mark G0VOF
Welcome to the February 2018 edition of SOTA News. My sincere apologies for the delay in publication due to work commitments.

My thanks go to the following contributors:- Barry GM4TOE, Skip K6DGW, Roy G4SSH, Kevin G0NUP, Toru JH0CJH, Warren ZL2AJ, Paulo CT2IWW, Luc ON7DQ.

73, Mark G0VOF

========================================================
The January 2018 edition of SOTA News was viewed more than 1,015 times.

SOTA AWARDS JANUARY 2018 from Barry GM4TOE - SOTA Awards Manager.

May I wish everybody a belated Happy and Prosperous New Year.
This month has produced even more claims than usual which does offer a challenge especially when the database server decides to fail; some of the results published below have not been checked so may be incorrect.

Congratulations to new Mountain Goats M1BUU and JP2OSW – your certificates are available for download. VK7CW has reached the heady heights of 10 k Chaser points and we have new Shack Sloths HB9EIV, VK2JDL, M1BUU, MI5UTC and 2E0VMD. Well done everybody.

Finally – please check the comments below about award dates.

Certificates Issued

Activator
M1BUU Colin Evans 1000 points
JP2OSW Iwao Kawasaki 1000 points
K1LIZ Elizabeth Burns 500 points
JJ0TRY Jun Yamabe 250 points
DL2RVL Rainer Lotsch 250 points
YO8SST Tatiana Done 250 points
K7FOP Roland Simmons 250 points
DL2RVL Rainer Lotsch 250 points
M1CJE Andrew Eastland 100 points
VE6VID Malen Vidler 100 points
YO8SAO George Popa 100 points

Chaser
VK7CW Steve Salvia 10000 points
F6EWB Jean-Paul Legras 5000 points
WD4CFN Steve Ghertner 2500 points
HB9EIV Michael Rass 1000 points
VK2JDL Phil Clancy 1000 points
M1BUU Colin Evans 1000 points
MI5UTC Syd Henry 1000 points
2E0VMD Helen Melhuish 1000 points
SQ9SBB Sylwester Dulewski 500 points
VK5FMAZ Marija Simmonds 500 points
DL2RVL Rainer Lotsch 500 points
K7FOP Roland Simmons 250 points
K7ASQ Andrew Quamme 250 points
G0CAM Cameron Chislett 250 points
KE0FQS Michael Kingsbury 250 points
ZL2KGF Kyle Francis 100 points
F4HHL Johan Barre 100 points
W7GIN Jacquelyn Cutsfort 100 points
VK2USH Stephen Hibberd 100 points
SV2HSY Efthymios Nikolaou 100 points

Chaser Unique
DL2YBG Klaus-Peter Dreessen 2000 summits
F6EWB Jean-Paul Legras 1500 summits
F6EWB Jean-Paul Legras 1000 summits
KR7RK Keith Schlottman 1000 summits

Summit to Summit
OK1NF Jan Kraus Silver
K7FOP Roland Simmons Red

Mountain Hunter
AE7AP Robert Kingery Platinum
YO6CFB Laszlo Bako-Szabo Platinum
F6EWB Jean-Paul Legras Platinum
K7VK Vick Applegate Platinum
YO8SSB Damian Lucian Gold
ZL2KGF Kyle Francis Bronze
N7SRG Steve Gregory Bronze
F4HHL Johan Barre Bronze
YO8SST Tatiana Done Bronze

Thank you for the donation received this month, it is really appreciated and helps fund the IT systems provided for everybody to use.

I have had a number of claims for awards where either the date of the award is blatantly wrong or the person applying has not even bothered to enter the date of the award. The date that you enter here is the date you achieved that level of award, not necessarily the date you ordered it. It does not take you very long to check your own record on the database and ensure that the date is correct AND you are actually qualified to claim that award.

Because I have to rely on my xyl to do much of the work at the moment I have told her to just enter the date claimed on the order – if it is wrong it will be wrong on your certificate and, no, I will not re-issue it. If the claim is invalid or the date is missing you will just not receive the award without any notification from me. The only exception to this is if you have ordered a printed certificate when you will be emailed for the chance to correct it

May I remind people that SOTA is funded by the profit (small) on merchandise, trophies and printed certificates and without that small profit (plus some very generous donations) we could not provide the IT systems free of charge for everybody.

Please take care and be safe on the hills – we have already read of several fatalities in the hills round the globe, please don’t contribute to the statistics.

Barry GM4TOE
SOTA Awards Manager

NORTH AMERICAN REPORT from Skip K6DGW

Greetings from North America,

Activity across the continent has held fairly constant despite the winter weather over much of it with modest increases in all of the categories my little program tracks.

NA Statistics for Jan
Produced: 01/29/2018 at: 19:46:54 UTC

Total Activations:    556  [468]
   Total Activators:    176  [170]
 Total Chaser QSO's:   7749  [7060]
      Total Chasers:    313  [295]
     Unique Summits:    371  [340]

BAND     #               LAST MONTH

3.5MHz: 53 ( 0.6%) [ 67 ( 0.9%)]
5MHz: 111 ( 1.4%) [ 166 ( 2.3%)]
7MHz: 2030 ( 26.4%) [ 2008 ( 28.8%)]
10MHz: 1104 ( 14.3%) [ 903 ( 12.9%)]
14MHz: 3570 ( 46.5%) [ 3395 ( 48.7%)]
18MHz: 204 ( 2.6%) [ 146 ( 2.0%)]
21MHz: 24 ( 0.3%) [ 41 ( 0.5%)]
28MHz: 26 ( 0.3%) [ 17 ( 0.2%)]
50MHz: 17 ( 0.2%) [ 0 ( 0%)]
144MHz: 487 ( 6.3%) [ 219 ( 3.1%)]
220MHz: 15 ( 0.1%) [ 0 ( 0%)]
433MHz: 34 ( 0.4%) [ 3 ( 0.0%)]
1240MHz: 2 ( 0.0%) [ 0 ( 0%)]

MODE # LAST MONTH:
AM: 4 ( 0.0%) [ 0 ( 0%)]
CW: 5433 ( 70.7%) [ 4941 ( 70.9%)]
Data: 1 ( 0.0%) [ 2 ( 0.0%)]
FM: 505 ( 6.5%) [ 221 ( 3.1%)]
SSB: 1738 ( 22.6%) [ 1804 ( 25.8%)]

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS:

Word arrived from Littleton, Colorado [Brad, WA6MM] that Steve, K7PX, has become the latest North American Mountain Goat! Congratulations Steve. BAAAAA!

From Rob, AE7AP: “Please welcome Vick, K7VK, as the regional manager for the 7 regions that make up mountainous northwestern Montana. Vick lives in Missoula and has spent many years working and exploring the peaks and backcountry of Montana. Be sure to say “hello” when you visit Montana!”

The SOTA Database is a trove of achievements, and for the end of the year Tom, M1EYP, dug in and compiled a listing of the top 20 Activators, out of over 5,900, based on grand total of completed QSO’s during activations since the beginning of the SOTA Programme. Not too surprising, the first nine are European amateurs. Then we come to #10, KX0R, with 25,427 QSO’s, followed by #17, NA6MG, at 22,702 QSO’s.

BREAKING NEWS:

NA SOTA has grown! We have six new Associations: VO1-Newfoundland; VO2-Labrador; VY1-Yukon; VY2-Prince Edward Island; XE1- Mexico Central; and XE2-Mexico North. XE1 brings in over 4,400 summits, and some of them are active volcanoes. Maybe they can have an “Eruption Bonus” as well as the usual seasonal ones?

OTHER NEWS:

In the, “This can only happen once a year” department, Rob, AE7AP, reports: "Bill, N7MSI, and Rob, AE7AP, were able to squeeze 10-points out of a 2-pointer this year, with a “UTC Rollover” activation of W7M/CL-161. Although this is one of the more accessible summits in the Helena area, it still took over 30-minutes to drive the final 250 feet through deep snow to the parking lot and another 2-hours to snowshoe 1.5 miles to the summit. An inversion made the temperature somewhat warmer than the -8°F [-22C] in Helena, and briskly pleasant. We made the summit with 8-minutes to spare in 2017 and were able to finish our 2017 SOTA season on VHF with the help of our friends in Helena. We began 2018 with a more leisurely HF activation on 20m and 40m, followed by a very nice descent through dry-fluffy powder under a near full moon.

Trailhead

N7MSI

N7MSI

AE7AP

Moon

From Duffey, KK6MC, via K0NR: “I am writing the QST summary and web page writeup for the January VHF contest. I would like any photos (high resolution) you may have of your activity, along with stories of your activities. Readers really like photos with people in them. Among other things, I am interested in your experiences with and opinions of FT8 operations, rover activity and portable ops, and especially for January, stories and photos with a weather angle.” Duffey’s email is jamesduffey at comcast dot net

PROPOSED NA SOTA EVENTS FOR 2018:

To get the ball rolling, Guy, N7UN, has compiled a proposed list of possible on-air events that could include SOTA participation:Proposed 2018 North America SOTA activity events for 2018:

Apr 21-22nd: North America SOTA Spring Activity Weekend + QRPTTF Spring Event (Apr 21)
May:  Regional SOTA Activity Events
Jun 9-11 (UTC):  North America SOTA Summer Activity Weekend + ARRL June VHF Contest
Jul 20-22 (UTC):  SOTA optional date + CQ WW VHF Contest
Aug 4-5: (UTC) North America SOTA Rocky Mtn Rendezvous + Colorado 14er Event + W7 SOTA Activity Weekend + ARRL UHF (222MHz+) Contest
Sept 7-9 (UTC): North America SOTA Fall Activity Weekend + ARRL Sept VHF Contest
October:  Regional SOTA Activity Events

Regionally organized SOTA Activity events can be organized at anytime during 2018 by interested groups.

Barry, N1EU also mentioned that the tentative dates for the 2018 NA-EU S2S Events are 21 April [in conjunction with QRPTTF] and 29 Sep.

REPORT OF THE MONTH:

Rick, K7TEJ: “On 31 Dec 17, Jim Moore WB7ENX & I made a year ending SOTA trip up to the Mogollon Rim in northern Arizona. We activate two 10 pointers, Baker Butte (W7A/AE-035) and Rim Road Peak (W7A/CS-020).”

“First up was Baker Butte, at 8077’. The site of a fire watch tower, access was easy, it would’ve been a drive up, but the gate to the access road was closed for the winter, so it was an easy .3 mile hike with a 200’ elevation gain to the summit. We started to set up, Jim getting up on 2m FM to work the usual suspects back in Phoenix. Climbing up the fire tower help him get his signal out the 80 miles over the trees, he quickly made his 4 contacts to validate the activation. I had antenna problems, bad coax I think, thou changing coax did not help, so I abandoned trying 2m and moved on to setting up for HF operations.”

“Took me a little longer than planned to get my antenna up as the ground was pretty much rock, making getting the support post for my mast far enough into the ground proved difficult. In the mean time Jim was having antenna issues on HF, he thinks the matching network on his End Fed was shot, so he gave up on this peak. I thnk he made a few contact but it was difficult. So now I’m ready to go QRV and I go to tune up and the radio shuts off. Turns out my Battery, (Which I charged the day before is showing only 11 volts!). Jim offers his battery, which get me going. I made 18 QSO on 20m before the pile up died and then moved to 40m for 11 more QSO’s, for a total of 29 QSO’s, to date, my best total on an activation.”

We role down and packed up for the 20 mile trip to the next summit, but not before documenting the Survey marker at the tower and finding the one patch of snow. The trip to Rim Road Peak was uneventful over a well graded road, with a few stops along the way to take in and photograph the view from the top of the rim. Come for the radio, stay for the view!

“Rim Road Peak is really not much more than an escarpment that juts out from the edge of the rim, really not much more that a gentle rise from Rim Road. After finding a clear spot within the AZ, we pick our spots, far enough apart to minimize any mutual interference, Jim set up using a random wire, given his previous antenna issues, me, I set up by a fire pit, evidence of previous enjoyment of this area, , this time being close enough to the truck, I used my Deep cycle marine battery.”

“On the air at 2035UTC, the pile up started early and ran consistently for about 45 minutes, making 35 QSO’s on 20m. Thanks to all the Chasers who spotted me to keep the pile up going. Two QSO’s stood out during this activation: first was KM6PIH/AG in San Bernadino, CA. Not only is he a newly minted General, but I was his first ever HF contact. I know you always remember that first contact. Congratulation David C Lopez, Jr. on earning your General and making your first Contact, Glad I could help!”

“Second was with my good friend Bob AJ5C in Harrison, Arkansas. Bob is one of the nicest guy’s I’ve never met. We’ve been friend on the Air (and later Facebook) for quite a while now. I took a little bit of time out of the pile to quickly catch up and wish him and his family a Happy New Years”

“In the meantime, Jim’s random wire was working well for him as he made contacts on 20m, 17m and even on on 60m, a first for him. He also work the Phoenix crown again on 2m FM. Finally the pile up died and it was time to pack up and head home. Thanks to all the chasers and spotters who helped make these two activations successful.”

Skip, K6DGW
NA SOTA Reporter Dude
Sparks NV DM09dn

============================================================

SOTA NEWS FROM JAPAN by Toru JH0CJH

SOTA activities in January 2018 in Japan as of 31 Jan 2018.

Activation

Total 171 Activations with 1713 QSO have been made and reported.

JA: 163 activations with 1651 QSO from Summits
JA5: 5 activations with 44 QSO from Summits
JA6: 3 activation with 18 QSO from Summits
JA8: no activation

Chasing

Total 286 Chasing QSO have been made and reported.

JA: 278 chasing QSO
JA5: 1 chasing QSO
JA6: 7 chasing QSO
JA8: 0

Although this winter is very cold and Tokyo got snow on 22nd Jan., the
number of activation and QSO was increased than last month.

No special report was made but SOTA in Japan flying high in these days. FB
news (http://www.fbnews.jp/) is Japanese Ham radio web magazine and from
last October, SOTA Japan started article posting to FB News. This SOTA
monthly article is one of popular in FB news now and perhaps the original
planned number of posting will be extended.

Toru Kawauchi 川内 徹
toru@kawauchi.homeip.mydns.jp
http://www.kawauchi.homeip.mydns.jp/jh0cjh/blog/

============================================================

SOTA Portugal – Paulo CT2IWW
Next April, the 7th, Portuguese activators will head to the hills for another edition of Summits on The Air (SOTA) – Portugal´s Day. Further details will be released in the months to come but one expects this to be within the same framework as previous events.

On the same day, the organizers will announce the full program for the yearly gathering of SOTA- Portugal enthusiasts. This meet is scheduled for May 12 and 13 and will take place in the Greater Lisbon Area.

A basic framework has been established for the first day (12th) to be dedicated to a meeting and technical presentations, which will take place at the ARVM radio club headquarters, in Moscavide. The second day (Sunday, 13th) will be time to go activate a yet to be determined SOTA reference.

Stay tuned!

Paulo Teixeira, CT2IWW

*********** SOTA NEWS PART 2 FOLLOWS BELOW ********

4 Likes

SOTA NEWS FEBRUARY 2018 - Part 2

=========================================================

ON7DQ Winter Tour – Luc ON7DQ

ON7DQ will do a “winter tour” of several ON/ON-xxx summits between March 8-12.
All details will be on the Alert page.
Will it snow ? (like here : ON7DQ (KF0CR) HAM Radio Blog: ON7DQ SOTA Tour – March 2016 )
Will I be operating in the sun in my T-shirt (like here : ON7DQ (KF0CR) HAM Radio Blog: ON7DQ Winter SOTA Tour - 9-12 March 2017 )

Work me on any of the summits and I will tell you :wink:

I will also be on a 3 week trip to EA8/GC, Gran Canaria, between April 18th and May 9th.
Anyone having information or advice on summits that is not already posted in the database , such as : where to park, distance and/or time to walk, etc … is welcome to send it to Luc (address is ok on qrz.com)

73 - Luc, ON7DQ

======================================================

SOTA ON TOP BAND - Mark G0VOF

Hello everyone & welcome to this month’s edition of SOTA on Top Band.

There were no Top Band activations during January although Colin M1BUU/P did manage to squeeze in an activation of G/NP-028 Rombalds Moor just before the UTC rollover on 31st December making 3 QSO’s using CW.

Well done Colin.

As always, If you do have any suggestions on things that you think should be included, or if you wish to contribute tips, ideas or anything else that you think may help others on the band please email them to me at mark@brownhill.demon.co.uk

Until next month,

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

Morse Key

CW REPORT FOR JANUARY 2018 - Roy G4SSH

Active over the New Year weekend were:-
Zoran as 9A/E7AA/p from Croatia
Ivica as E7/9A6CW/p from Bosnia

Other CW highlights noted during the month:-
Cesar as EA1/K1TNT/p from Spain
Kurt as F/HBAFI/p from France
Bob as DL/F5HTR/p from France
Andy as DL/HB9JOE/p from Germany
Sergiy as SO9TA from Poland
Claude as DL/HB9BLJ/p from Germany
Heinz as OK/OE5EEP/p from Czechia
Hans as DL/HB9AGO/p from Germany
Markus as DL/HB9BRJ/p from Germany
Zoran as E70AA/p from Bosnia, at weekends.
Jarek as OK/SP9MA/p in Czechia
Ricardo as EA6LY/p on Mallorca
Hans as HB9/PB2T/p from Switzerland
Bruno as F/HB9CBR/p in France
JĂĽrg as F/HB9BIN/p in France.
Christophe as EA8/ON6ZQ/p from the Canary Islands.
Enrich as EA8/HB9FIH/p from the Canary Islands
Geert as EA8/PA7ZEE/p from the Canary Islands.
Aleks as HB9/YU1CA/p from Switzerland.
Milos as OK/SP9PND/p from Czechia.
Fred as OK/DL8DXL/p from Czechia
Zoran as E70AA from Bosnia, on a rare weekday activation.
Tonnie as OE/PA9CW/p from Austria.
Jan as OM/OK2PDT/p from Slovakia.
Milosz as OK/SP9PND/p from Czechia
Martin as OE/DK3IT/p from Austria.
Mariusz as OK/SP9AMH/p from Czechia
Stephan as OE/DM1LE/p from Austria

Roy G4SSH
g4ssh@tiscali.co.uk

SOTA ACTIVITY REPORT FOR JANUARY 2018 by Kevin G0NUP

Mode: CW on 1.8MHz: activity for January

Mode: CW on 3.5MHz: activity for January

DL4TO/P, GW4TJC/P, HA6OY/P, HA6QR/P, M1BUU/P, OE1UVA/P,
OK1MLP/P, ON6UU/P, ON9CBQ/P, WA7JTM, YU1CA/P

Mode: CW on 5MHz: activity for January

AA6XA, DF3MC/P, DJ2MX/P, DL/HB9AGO/P, DL/HB9BQU/P, DL4FO/P,
DL4TO/P, DL6AP/P, DL6FBK/P, G0EVV/P, GW0EVV/P, HB9AFI/P,
HB9AGO/P, HB9BCB/P, HB9BIN/P, HB9BQU/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P,
HB9DBM/P, HB9DGV/P, HB9EIV/P, HB9EWO/P, K6HPX/P, K7ZOO,
KR7RK, N7CW, N7LP, NA6MG, WA9STI, WC6J

Mode: SSB on 5MHz: activity for January

DG7ACF/P, DL1CR/P, G4IPB, G8TMV/P, GI0AZA/P, GI0AZB/P,
GW0EVV/P, GW4AZS/P, HB9BIN/P, HB9GKR/P, KI4SVM, KN4BBC,
MW0XOT/P, N4QYI

Mode: CW on 7MHz: activity for January

9A2GA/P, 9A3ST/P, 9A6CW/P, AA0BV, AA6XA, AC0PR,
AE9Q, AI4SV, AI6CU, CT1DBS/P, CT7AGT/P, DF3MC/P,
DF7FX/P, DJ2MX/P, DJ5AV/P, DK3IT/P, DK7MG/P, DL/G4IWO/P,
DL/HB9AGO/P, DL/HB9BQU/P, DL/HB9FPM/P, DL/HB9JOE/P, DL/PB2T/P, DL2FAZ/P,
DL4ROB, DL4TO/P, DL6AP/P, DL6CGC/P, DL6FBK/P, DL8JJ/P,
EA1AER/P, EA2BD/P, EA2DPA, EA2IF, EA5FV/P, EA5HT/P,
EA6LU, EI5CA/P, F/HB9BIN/P, F/HB9CBR/P, F/PA0SKP/P, F/PB2T/P,
F6EAH/P, F6HBI/P, F8FEO/P, G0EVV/P, G4OBK/P, GM0GAV/P,
GW0EVV/P, GW4ISJ/P, GW4TJC/P, HA4FY/P, HA5BV/P, HA7UL/P,
HB9/PB2T/P, HB9AFI/P, HB9AGO/P, HB9AXL/P, HB9BAB/P, HB9BCB/P,
HB9BHU, HB9BHU/P, HB9BHW/P, HB9BIN/P, HB9BQB/P, HB9BQU/P,
HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P, HB9CLT/P, HB9DBM/P, HB9DPR/P, HB9DQM/P,
HB9DST/P, HB9EIV/P, HB9EKO/P, HB9EWO/P, HB9FPM/P, HB9FVF/P,
HB9IIO/P, HB9JOE/P, IK2LEY/P, IW2OBX/P, JA3NAP/3, JA4RQO/4,
JA4RQO/5, JA5EXN/5, JF1NDT/1, JF1NDT/2, JF1NDT/3, JG1BOK,
JG4LCS/4, JI1IHV, JI1OOP/1, JL1NIE/1, JP1QEC/1, JP1QEC/2,
JP3DGT/3, JP3PPL/3, K0JQZ, K1JD, K1LB, K4LPQ,
K6HPX/P, K7FOP, K7MK, K7ODX, K7PX, K7ZOO,
K9IR, KB9ENS, KC7DM, KD0YOB, KE5AKL, KE6MT,
KE7BGM, KH7AL, KI4TN, KR7RK, KT0A, KUDJL,
KX0R, LA1ENA/P, LA3NGA/P, LB8CG, LZ1GJ/P, M1BUU/P,
MM0CMV/P, N0MTN, N0TA, N4SFR, N6JZT, N6KZ,
N6MKW, N7CW, N7JH, N7LP, N7SRG, N8HN,
NA6MG, NK6A, NK8Q, NM5S, NU7Y, OE/DM1LE/P,
OE/HB9DQM/P, OE/HB9EWO/P, OE/PA9CW/P, OE1UVA/P, OE5AUL/P, OE5EEP/P,
OE5EIN/P, OE6FEG/P, OE6KYG/P, OK/OE5EEP, OK/SP9MA/P, OK/SP9PND/P,
OK1HCD/P, OK1MLP/P, OK1XGL/P, OK2BDF/P, OK2BWB/P, OK2PDT/P,
OK3QE/P, OK8JOE/P, OM/OK2PDT/P, OM1WS/P, OM6AN/P, ON/PA0SKP/P,
ON/PA9CW/P, ON6UU/P, ON6ZQ/P, S50AAA/P, S51RU/P, S52AU/P,
S53OM/P, S57TX/P, S58R/P, SO9TA/P, SP9MA/P, SP9PND/P,
SV1RHL/P, SV2OXS/P, VE2DDZ, VK1DA, VK1FWBK/P, VK2/G4OBK/P,
VK2IO/P, VK2WP, VK3ARH, VK3CAT/P, VK3PF/P, VK5CZ,
W0CCA, W0CP, W1EJ, W7GA, W7JET, W7KKM,
W7USA, WA6ARA, WA6KYR, WA6MM, WA7JTM, WA9STI,
WB5USB, WC6J, WD9F, WF4I, WG0AT, WS0TA,
WW7D, YO2BP/P, YO8AZQ/P, YU1CA/P, YU1WC/P

Mode: CW on 10MHz: activity for January

9A6CW/P, AA0BV, AA6XA, AE9Q, AF7OS, AI4SV,
CT1DBS/P, DJ2MX/P, DK3IT/P, DK7MG/P, DL/HB9AGO/P, DL/HB9BQU/P,
DL/HB9BRJ/P, DL/HB9FPM/P, DL/HB9JOE/P, DL/ON6UU/P, DL/PB2T/P, DL2FAZ/P,
DL4ROB, DL4TO/P, EA2BD/P, EA2IF, EA2IF/P, F/HB9BIN/P,
F/HB9CBR/P, F6HBI/P, F8FEO/P, G0POT/P, G4OBK/P, G4OOE/P,
GM0GAV/P, GW0EVV/P, GW4ISJ/P, HA7HF/P, HB9AFH/P, HB9AFI/P,
HB9AGO/P, HB9BAB/P, HB9BCB/P, HB9BHU, HB9BHU/P, HB9BIN/P,
HB9BQU/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P, HB9CLT/P, HB9DBM/P, HB9DGV/P,
HB9DQM/P, HB9DST/P, HB9EKO/P, HB9IIO/P, HB9TVK/P, IW2OBX/P,
JA4RQO/4, JA4RQO/5, JG1BOK, K0JQZ, K1JD, K6HPX/P,
K7DJL, K7FOP, K7MK, K7ODX, K7PX, K7ZOO,
K9IR, K9OZ, KB1HQS, KD7WPJ, KE5AKL, KE6MT,
KR7RK, KT0A, KX0R, LA3NGA/P, LZ1GJ/P, M1BUU/P,
MM0CMV/P, MM0FMF/P, N0TA, N4SFR, N6JZT, N6KZ,
N7CW, N7LP, N8HN, NA6MG, NK6A, NM5S,
OE/DK3IT/P, OE/DM1LE/P, OE/HB9EWO/P, OE/PA9CW/P, OE5EEP/P, OE6FEG/P,
OK/OE5EEP, OK/SP9MA/P, OK/SP9PND/P, OK1MLP/P, OK2BDF/P, OK2BWB/P,
OK2PDT/P, OK3QE/P, OK8JOE/P, OM6AN/P, ON/PA9CW/P, ON/PB2T/P,
ON6UU/P, S52AU/P, S53OM/P, S58R/P, SO9TA/P, SP9MA/P,
SP9PND/P, SV1RHL/P, SV2OXS/P, VK2/G4OBK/P, W0CP, W1EJ,
WA6ARA, WA6MM, WA9STI, WB0USI, WB5USB, WC6J,
WD9F, WS0TA, WW7D, YO/HA8BE, YO/HA8BJ/P, YO/HA8LLH,
YO/HA8QW, YO2BP/P, YU1CA/P, YU1WC/P

Mode: CW on 14MHz: activity for January

9A3ST/P, 9A6CW/P, AA0BV, AA6XA, AC0PR, AC1Z,
AE9Q, AI4SV, AI6CU, AI6V, CT1DBS, CT1DBS/P,
DF7FX/P, DJ2MX/P, DK3IT/P, DK7MG/P, DL/HB9AGO/P, DL/HB9BQU/P,
DL/HB9BRJ/P, DL2FAZ/P, DL4FO/P, DL4ROB, DL4TO/P, DL6AP/P,
DL6CGC/P, E70AA/P, EA1AER/P, EA2BSB/P, EA2DPA, EA2IF,
EA2IF/P, EA5FV/P, EA5HT/P, EA6LU, EA8/ON6ZQ/P, EA8/PA7ZEE/P,
EI5CA/P, F/HB9BIN/P, F/HB9CBR/P, F/PA0SKP/P, F6HBI/P, F8FEO/P,
G0POT/P, G4OBK/P, G4OOE/P, GM0GAV/P, GW4ISJ/P, HB9/PB2T/P,
HB9AFI/P, HB9AGO/P, HB9AXL/P, HB9BAB/P, HB9BCB/P, HB9BHU,
HB9BHU/P, HB9BIN/P, HB9BQU/P, HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P, HB9DBM/P,
HB9DGV/P, HB9DQM/P, HB9DST/P, HB9EIV/P, HB9EKO/P, HB9EWO/P,
HB9FVF/P, HB9IIO/P, HB9JOE/P, IK1RAC, IK2LEY/P, IW2OBX/P,
JA3NAP/3, JA4RQO/4, JA4RQO/5, JF1NDT/1, JF1NDT/2, JF1NDT/3,
JG1BOK, JG1GPY/1, JG4LCS/4, JL1NIE/1, JP1QEC/1, JP1QEC/2,
JP3DGT/3, JP3PPL/3, JS1UEH/1, JS6TMW/6, JS6TQS, K0JQZ,
K1LB, K6HPX/P, K7DJL, K7FOP, K7MK, K7ODX,
K7PX, K7ZOO, K9IR, K9OZ, KB1HQS, KB9ENS,
KD0YOB, KD7WPJ, KE5AKL, KE6MT, KH7AL, KI4TN,
KR7RK, KT0A, KX0R, LA3NGA/P, LB8CG, LZ1GJ/P,
M1BUU/P, MM0FMF/P, N0MTN, N0TA, N4SFR, N6IZ,
N6JZT, N6KZ, N6MKW, N7CQR, N7CW, N7SRG,
N8HN, NA6MG, NK6A, NK8Q, NM5S, NU7Y,
OE/HB9EWO/P, OE5EEP/P, OE5EIN/P, OE6FEG/P, OH7BF/P, OK/SP9MA/P,
OK/SP9PND/P, OK1MLP/P, OK2BDF/P, OK2BWB/P, OK2PDT/P, OK3QE/P,
OM/OK2PDT/P, OM6AN/P, ON6UU/P, S50AAA/P, S51RU/P, S52AU/P,
S52ON/P, S53OM/P, SO9TA/P, SP9MA/P, SP9PND/P, SV1RHL/P,
SV2OXS/P, VE2DDZ, VK2/G4OBK/P, VK2IO/P, VK2NU/P, VK3ARH,
VK3CAT/P, VK6NU, W0CCA, W1EJ, W2CAM, W4PH,
W7GA, W7JET, W7USA, WA6ARA, WA6KYR, WA6MM,
WA7JTM, WA9STI, WB0USI, WB5USB, WC6J, WD9F,
WG0AT, WS0TA, WW7D, WX4TW, YO2BP/P, YU1WC/P,
ZL1BYZ

Mode: CW on 18MHz: activity for January

AA0BV, AA6XA, AC1Z, DL4FO/P, F/HB9CBR/P, F6HBI/P,
HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P, HB9DBM/P, HB9DST/P, HB9TVK/P, JA4RQO/4,
JF1NDT/2, JG1BOK, JG1GPY/1, JI1IHV, JL1NIE/1, JP3DGT/3,
JS1UEH/1, K1JD, K6HPX/P, K7PX, K7ZOO, KB9ENS,
KR7RK, KT0A, KX0R, N0TA, NA6MG, S51RU/P,
VK2IO/P, VK6NU, W1EJ, W2CAM, WA9STI, WD9F,
WG0AT, WS0TA, ZL1BYZ

Mode: CW on 21MHz: activity for January

AA6XA, AI4SV, HB9CBR/P, HB9CGA/P, JA4RQO/4, JI1IHV,
JL1NIE/1, JP1QEC/2, JS6TQS, K1JD, K7ZOO, KR7RK,
NA6MG, NM5S, VK1DA, VK3ARR, WG0AT

Mode: CW on 24MHz: activity for January

AA6XA, K7ZOO, KR7RK

Mode: CW on 28MHz: activity for January

HB9CBR/P, K7ZOO, KR7RK

Mode: CW on 50MHz: activity for January

JS1UEH/1, KR7RK, M1EYP/P, OE1WED/1, WA7JTM

Mode: CW on 1240MHz: activity for January

DL1CR/P, OE1WED/1

Mode: FM on 28MHz: activity for January

JI1TLL/1

Mode: FM on 50MHz: activity for January

AA6XA, JA4GHC, M1EYP/P

Mode: FM on 1240MHz: activity for January

7L2PBJ/2, DG0JMB/P, G4VFL/P, G7HEM/P, GW7HEM/P, JG6CRU/6,
JN3PDF/3, JS1GRO/1, K0NR, OE5EEP/P

Mode: SSB on 28MHz: activity for January

DO5TMM/P, DP9X, KI4AAU/P, KJ4ZFK, KR7JAS, KR7RK,
OE5EEP/P, S52Q/P, S55VN/P, S56LXN/P, S57MS/P, VK1MA/2,
VK2CDS/P, VK2IO/P, VK2QR, VK3MCD/P2, VK3MCD/P4, VK5WTF,
VK7DW/P, VK7FOLK, VK7JON, VK9N/ZL2AJ

Mode: SSB on 50MHz: activity for January

AA6XA, IK1RAC, IZ1DNQ/P, IZ1GDB, JI1IKC/1, JI1RPN/1,
JI1TLL/2, JJ0TRY/0, JK1NRL/1, JK1NRL/2, JN2BFN, JR1NNL/1,
JS1UEH/1, JS2VVH/1, JS2VVH/2, K0NR, K7JFD, KB1HQS,
M1EYP/P, N6KZ, N7LP, S52ON/P, S52Q/P, S55VN/P,
S56LXN/P, S57MS/P, VE6IXD, VK1AD/P, VK2IO/P, VK3MCD/P,
VK4JAZ, W7JET, W7USA, WA7JTM, WG4I

Mode: SSB on 1240MHz: activity for January

VK1AD/P

73 Kevin

SOTA News is normally published on the last day of each month, but there will be occasions when the Editor is not available at this time, in which case it will be published as soon as possible afterwards. It can only be as interesting as the items submitted, so if you think your particular field of interest is not being covered then please submit an article by the 25th of the month.

Have you a favourite SOTA? favourite mode? favourite rig, antenna, or favourite band? How did you find your first day / month / year as an activator or chaser? Your comments and experiences will be read by enthusiasts all across Europe, the USA, Australia and beyond, in a total of 114 different SOTA associations worldwide. Your input will be most welcome.

We receive many e-mails during the month containing details of activations, milestones reached and general SOTA news. Unless advised otherwise we will use this information in the next edition of SOTA News. It is important therefore that you advise us if any information is not intended for publication.

For ease of processing, please submit your input by e-mail direct to the addresses below and not via the Reflector.

==================================================

Mark G0VOF
SOTA News Editor
mark@brownhill.demon.co.uk

U.S. and Canadian reports to:-
Fred K6DGW/7 [aka “Skip” on the radio]
Canada/US SOTA Reporter Dude
Sparks NV
k6dgw@foothill.net

Australian input to:-
Allen VK3ARH
VK Reporter