HAM RADIO 2022 at Friedrichshafen. June 24-26

My first visit to FN was in 2016, and then I attended the SOTA dinner in restaurant s’Wirtshaus am See, just next to that Delphi restaurant.
Can’t remember if the food was excellent or just OK, but I’m sure the beer was good ! :wink:

Luc ON7DQ

9 Likes

Luc, you are obviously setting the right priorities… :beers: :+1:.
Hope to CU in FN! BR Peter DO4TE

2 Likes

I am also planning to come to FN this year. Driving from Prague and activating some summits along the way.
Maybe we can coordinate with Phil and Victor and have some S2S on the way.
See you there.
73 Petr

3 Likes

Just a reminder for those travelling from the UK to Freidrichshafen, to check what your cell phone provider will now charge you for roaming data outside of the UK. It may be worth buying a European pre-paid SIM card?
(I have the same situation in reverse as I plan to go to the UK national Hamfest in October).
Ed.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me Ed. My provider says it will automatically charge £2 a day if I use my phone when in the EU. Or I can buy a 30day EU roaming option for £10. Having changed provider last year I thought I’d check just how I buy this and ensure all the international options were enabled.

I’ve had a look and most surprisingly my account states “You can now use your allowances in the EU at no extra cost”. Winner, winner, chicken dinner :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our disastrous hard Brexit just keeps on giving Ed…

73 Phil

4 Likes

Interestingly I have just checked Deutsche Telekom Mobile (aka T-Mobile in the UK I think) and whether on a monthly contract or using a pre-paid card, call and SMS charges for when I travel to the UK are the same as if I travel to France or Italy or any other EU country (country group 1) - and are the same rates as at home, no surcharges.
MMS is more expensive and for data with a pre-paid card, a “Data-pass” needs to be bought but even those are the same price, it seems as when you buy them in Germany to add to pre-paid voice and SMS only card.

The moral remains - check what your cell service provider says as regards the use of your phone abroad and remember there is free WiFi at Ham Radio and at most hotels.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

Thanks Andy, looking to change my phone provider, who are you with?

Ciao

Hi,

I did wonder if I should use a contract with an EU network provider, who also allowed free roaming in the UK? But I was told I may not be able to register with them if I have a residential UK address, so have not tried. Has anyone any experience on trying this approach post Brexit?

Ciao

1 Like

I changed to EE last July/August. I changed because I wanted VoLTE and Wifi calling (4G voice) and they were not provisioned on my phone when I was using it with Three. I was expecting to have to pay for EU roaming as only longer standing EE customers were exempted from charges. But it seems I don’t have to pay extra. The biggest gain is not 4G voice but the amazing coverage EE has. Since I started with them I have had reliable 4G data on every summit I have visited in GM and G. £9/month PAYG package where I never use the data/minutes included.

I have used PAYG SIMS in Germany at Friedrichshafen on several occasions before there was free roaming. I used to buy Lebara pre-paid SIMS from a petrol station and registered the address as the hotel’s address street address without the hotel name.

1 Like

Registering a pre-paid SIM card in Germany has become very complicated over the last 2-3 years. An online video interview can be requested with you displaying your identification document (e.g. passport). Some of the new German ID cards can be read via NFC using a mobile phone (when equipped) to avoid the need of the on-line interview.
For a tourist, I suspect this will all be far too complicated, so getting a local UK supplier that still allows free roaming in the EU is probably the best option.
73 Ed.

1 Like

All going well, I will be at FN with Herbert OE9HRV on the Friday.

Regards

Andrew VK1AD

4 Likes

Me and Luca Iz0Fly we also planning to come to FN this year. Driving from Roma and activating some summits along the way,

Regards, Andrea IW0HK

2 Likes

Sometimes I check local SIM cards here:

GERMANY

Jacek SQ9MDN

1 Like

Hi all

Planning here to attend the show on Saturday on a day visit, so looking forward to meet you at the QSL wall at noon and have a lunch then with some of you to see/meet/chat/enjoy.

Representing there with others also the Swiss DX Foundation at the DX Plaza, so probably no time for flea market and other stuff. But you are the exceptions, hi.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

4 Likes

The official press release that Ham Radio at Friedrichshafen is going ahead was published today - to read it in English - follow this link:

4 Likes

Heads-up Guys and Gals,

The standard 12-noon (on each of the three days) meeting point for SOTA interesants has always been in front of the QSL Wall.

This year the QSL Wall appears to have been moved into Hall A1 from the large gangway between the halls.

As I am attending the opening ceremony until 12 O’Clock, on Friday, I may be a few minutes late but look out for the bright orange ICQ Podcast Polo shirt and that will be either Chris M0TCH or myself.

LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY! LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY! LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY!

73 Ed DD5LP.

3 Likes

Hello,
I’ll be at FN for the 3 days. 24/25/26 of june. (camping in a tent, next to the Messe)
Coming by car from France via Italia, i hope to activate some summits on the roll.
Of course i’ll be around QSL Wall at 12 local time, to meet my Sota friends.
Gerald F6HBI

2 Likes

Corona Guidelines for visitors to HAM RADIO 2022

As of April 3, 2022, new regulations related to COVID-19 are in effect in the German state of Baden-Württemberg that place no restrictions whatsoever on trade fairs, exhibitions and other events .

This means that the following provisions no longer apply:

• Mandatory use of face masks
  • Restricted access to events
  • Mandatory testing before entering the premises
  • Capacity limitations for events
  • Strict social distancing and hygiene and safety measures
  • Restrictions on booth construction and seating arrangements
  • Restrictions on hospitality services

Rather than demanding rigorous hygiene and safety measures, the new regulations make each individual responsible for avoiding placing themselves or others at risk.

While the mandatory use of face masks is omitted, we as the organizer suggest wearing masks to prevent an infection.

You can find more information at Messe Friedrichshafen and in the ordinance of the state of Baden-Württemberg.

Subject to change.

I personally will be wearing a FFP2/KN95 mask when indoors and keeping a reasonable distance, “better safe than sorry”.
73 Ed.

5 Likes

For those traveling in to the HAM RADIO from the public boat stop on Lake Constance:

There is a shuttle bus to/from the show from/to bus stop “Hafenbahnhof” according to this timetable:

Masks must be worn during the transfer.

73, Markus HB9DIZ

4 Likes