SOTA Mapping Project

In reply to G3RMD:

“Did your virus software detect and eliminate your problem?”

No, Norton missed it completely. I used my other source of all wisdom in the computing world, the MM0FMF consultancy service!

Andy pointed me to a blog which started the ball rolling although their solutions didn’t work but gave me some good hints where to look (I guess virus writers read blogs too!). Eventually I did an in-depth search running from a dot prompt in Windows Safe mode and located the .exe files that had been written onto my disk. Having zapped these (completely, not just a delete) I put Norton to work to try to find the rest of the rubbish put onto the disk and then used their “deep clean” utility to identify other suspicious entries in the registry (it found some for the SOTA database but I didn’t zap those!). Eventually got the machine back working (10 hours of scanning in total) and am now doing a full deep scan of my backup to make sure it didn’t get on there.

Still waiting for Mr Norton to come up with an explanation why his all singing, all dancing suite of programs, set as tight as a duck’s bottom, still missed it. If he wants my money for renewal he had better come up with a good explanation.

Sorry for the thread hijack, back to the SOTA mapping project!!

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:
Thanks Barry,
yours, worried!
g3rmd