SOTA activators.

G0TRB

Ah! Now I understand! Thanks, Roger.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G0ELJ:

I can only imagine
that you pay for QSL’s, awards, etc, and some
of the money goes to support DXpeditions, and
the balance goes to the wildlife good causes.

David

It says very little about what they do with the money other than it costs Euros 20 annually to be a member and that they support expeditions (there is a list of those supported). I am not sure how this contributes to ‘SAVING THE GREEN PLANET EARTH’’ (the strapline on the UK site). I can see no suggestion that they support “wildlife good causes”.

SOTA seems more transparent to me!

Richard
G3CWI

Having studied the WFF Website, I have reached the following conclusions:

1. It seems to be a Russian-originated scheme.

2. There seems to be a great emphasis on collecting money, most (if not all) of which seems to be used for funding amateur radio activations. I cannot see any reference to the money being used to help in protecting the environment or wildlife. However, I may be mistaken.

3. Quote from the website: “The primary goal of WFF Fund is a technical and financial support of radio-expeditions to national parks and the reserves of the world”.

4. Further quote from the website: “Each member of the International WFF Foundation has the right to offer a great sum which will be publicly specified in the list of International WFF Foundation members. The International WFF Foundation Member certificate is sent to each member in acknowledgement.”

I have to say, I do not feel inclined to offer a “great sum” to help pay for radio amateurs’ day trips to country parks! Who is going to contribute to the cost of my SOTA activations? :-)))

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Where does it say you have to pay to be involved as an activator the only issue is if yourself or any other activator wishes to send a log via M0OXO.

It is only the same as SOTA in that contacts are logged for the use of others.

You have over 30 confirmations and no fee involved.

It would be down to people involed as activators or chasers if they want to make a donation.

G0TRB

In reply to G3NYY:

Hi Walt

I have to say, I do not feel inclined to offer a “great sum”
to help pay for radio amateurs’ day trips to country parks! Who is
going to contribute to the cost of my SOTA activations? :-)))

I am also very suspicious when one talks about money in our hobby.
But it seems that it is not necessary to be a member (and hence pay) to participate in the WFF program.
And finaly, everyone is free to participate or not, as for SOTA program.

73 Alain F6ENO

Let me start by saying that I have been aware of the WFF Award for some time now, and have worked a number of participating stations from time to time. However, I feel that it is disingenuous to claim that I have therefore been participating unwittingly. Apparently there are a number of QSOs involving me in the WFF database, and I periodically receive spam e-mails telling me so, but their presence therein is none of my doing.

Now, I have no problem in folks using my activities to further their various award claims when appropriate, but I have no wish to add additional complexities to my own operations. What do I mean? Well, if somebody asks for my WAB area, I can either tell them or pass sufficient information for them to be able to work it out for themselves. The warm feeling that I have, perhaps, given somebody a new square is nice, but that is the sum total of my involvement. In the event that somebody still needs EU-005 (UK mainland) for IOTA, all I have to do is exchange QSL cards which is a natural and traditional custom for radio amateurs. There are no further complications.

Now, compare that with WFF. On the face of it, there seems to be a natural overlap in the potential locations between the SOTA summit list and the, apparently random, list of WFF counters. So far, so good. However, if I understand the WFF rules correctly, it does not help just to give the WFF reference during a QSO. In order for the caller to benefit, I must send my activity log to the custodians of the WFF scheme. Even that is no great strain, given that I upload to the SOTA database anyway, in addition to LOTW and eQSL. The big drawback is the need for photographic evidence to be supplied. Like many SOTA activators, I do not usually carry a camera on my walks, so there is immediately an unwanted overhead if I wish to assist WFF chasers. Even if I did have a camera, just how does a lone walker take a photograph showing himself alongside a sign showing the name of the park or reserve? It makes the process extremely difficult, if not impossible.

As a further comment, I’m not sure that broadcasting a WFF reference during a SOTA activation is actually beneficial. On one hand we have G0TRB encouraging us to do so to attract more chasers. On the other hand, we have G0RQL suggesting that WFF will be the downfall of SOTA. I suppose you pays your money and takes your choice!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to F6ENO:

I am also very suspicious when one talks about money in our hobby.
But it seems that it is not necessary to be a member (and hence pay)
to participate in the WFF program.
And finaly, everyone is free to participate or not, as for SOTA
program.

Bjr, Alain! I am suspicious simply because it seems to me that all the money collected finds its way into a Russian bank account! What happens to the money after that is anybody’s guess.

:slight_smile:

73 de G3NYY

In reply to G3VQO:

The big drawback is the need for photographic evidence to be supplied. Like many SOTA activators, I do not usually carry a camera on my walks,

The issue of the photo was I belive from past activations ,was to email M0OXO and ask .

I’m not sure that broadcasting a WFF reference during a SOTA activation is actually beneficial.

The giving of the WFF number would be down to the activator on the day. They can always send the log in after if they wish. As with alerts some activators have gear in the car and make snap judgements to activate.

The WAB square has been added to G4WSB activations by request as an aid to people who do not normally do SOTA but only want his squares.

G0TRB

In reply to G3NYY:

The WFF Paypal payments go to JVP Communications. If you Google that company, the first listing is for radioarena.co.uk. They list their address as a PO Box in Glasgow. How strange it all is…

Richard
G3CWI

Hi All,

I have been involved in both sota and wff since a few months.

2 weeks ago I was in the Lake District (GFF-008) and I activated Skiddaw (G/LD-004). I don’t mind giving out both references and the WAB square at the same time if this helps chasers to get get points. My GFF log is always sent to Charles, M0OXO and I have also uploaded it into the Sota database as well.

On 6 sept I will activate a naturreserve, belgian castle and belgian railway station all at the same time (se QRZ.COM). Why not? if you are playing within the rules of each programme, I don’t see the problem.

What I do have a problem with is the high prices of the awards in de russian WFF part. National awards prices are within resaon, some are even free (.pdf).Personnally I think most money paid for the awards shoud go to the world wildlife found but I seems this isn’t happening.

For the russians I think it is big bussiness at the moment.

de Peter, ON3WAB/M6ONL

In reply to G3NYY:

Having studied the WFF Website, I have reached the following
conclusions:

1. Quote from the website: “The primary goal of WFF Fund is a
    technical and financial support of radio-expeditions to national parks
    and the reserves of the world”.

Walt (G3NYY)

So, there is now a scheme to encourage radio ops to go trampling all over this flora in an effort to save it? ;o))

For my next walk-in WAB (there’s few left now) perhaps I’ll take a scythe!

73 Graham G4FUJ
(Tongue very firmly buried to one side of face)

In reply to G4FUJ:

So, there is now a scheme to encourage radio ops to go trampling all
over this flora in an effort to save it? ;o))

Mind you, Tom is wearing out The Cloud in the name of SOTA.

Richard
G3CWI

I don’t know - 998 activations on 249 unique summits - and people still believe I only ever go up that same one…

Tom M1EYP

I can assure you Graham, I don’t “trample” all over the flora and fauna. Activations usually can be done from the carpark or another spot close by without disturbing nature. The aim of the programme is also to make people aware of what beautiful nature reserves there still are and encourage them to learn more about them or visit them. All this with respect for nature.

I think most of you who took the ferry in Dover have never heard or visited “Samphire Hoe”, a very nice nature reserve just off the A-20 at the bottom of the cliffs between Dover and Folkestone that has originated from the debris of the drilling of the channel tunnel. Well worth a visit!

Pictures on M6ONL - Callsign Lookup by QRZ Ham Radio.

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi Ric,

They list their address as a PO Box in Glasgow.

look on qrz.com for MM0DGR.

Vy73 Fritz

In reply to DL4FDM:
They also run the EUPSK (EPC) awards - which are entirely free.

Roger G4OWG
Awards manager EPC-UKPA Awards
g4owg at eu.srars.org :slight_smile:

In reply to G3CWI:

Like a cut glass trophy for £25? :wink:

If it’s worth it to you, you will pay it…mine’s on order!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G0TRB:

The WAB square has been added to G4WSB activations by request as an aid to >people who do not normally do SOTA but only want his squares.

He’d benefit by having some photos showing him at the summits.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

You dont need proof for the WAB squares but a lot of WAB chasers only want those as they are not interested in SOTA chasing but with a bit of help they
may start SOTA chasing the extra info will stop after he returns from EI / GI.

I belive Bill G4WSB does have photos of all his summits trig points hes done as hes an avid collector in general, the lighthouse and navigational lights he activated are well into the 100’s. Also he did over 2000 WAB sqs last year which shows hes keen.

Photos was mentioned on the reflector some time ago for proof of SOTA activations for some reason.

G0TRB

You are right, Roger, Bill does take photos of all the trig points and their unique numbers. He has shown me a few at the AGM this year.

We all know when he puts his teeth into something he’s very dedicated.

I started collecting Sota myself because it helped me to get those more difficult WAB squares that I still needed. But once I got to know Sota better I got hooked myself, which resulted in activating myself from time to time, even abroad. And it is great fun and keeps you fit.

Peter