SOTA in the Heatwave

“Several species are known to bite humans. The predominant species on Speyside is Simulium reptans. The worst affected areas appear to be localised, being confined to woodland around Loch Insh near Kincraig and along Speyside around Aviemore.”

I can’t make up my mind which I hate most getting bitten by in GM for the bite and after-effects: black flies, clegs or midges.

1 Like

I’ve never encountered Scottish black flies but in my experience cleggs are worse than midges. I got a nasty swollen hand from a clegg bite and that was in the South of England so I imagine Scottish ones are worse. Midges are really annoying but I just get red spots that quickly go unlike others who end up covered in lumps.

From reading that webpage it sounds like DEET is far worse than the insects it’s trying to protect you from!

1 Like

At least we don’t have Canadian black fly!

1 Like

Or New Zealand sand flies.

2 Likes

No one mentioned rain as a remedy. Just as I was about to pray for some of the nice English version, It did.

Elliott, K6EL :open_umbrella:

Heat? In Arizona?

If I waited for a cool day to activate I wouldn’t do many summits in a year.

So we go out early (sunrise for desert peaks) and we go North to higher elevations.

Cool wave today…only 111F…115F the rest of the week.

Pete
WA7JTM
W7A

2 Likes

But dry heat?

I was on holiday in Phoenix once where they said it hadn’t rained for 3 years. We were due to see a cowboy show in the evening but it was cancelled due to rain. There were about 3 spots.

1 Like

Yes, but it still feels like an oven [to me anyway].

And when returning to your car, don’t touch any metal parts inside or outside. [One of many learning experiences during my first few biz trips to AZ from EU]

1 Like

And here comes the rest of the overnight birthday activation report…

Monday 18th July 2022 - Shining Tor G/SP-004, 2230-2358z - 7 QSOs

2m FM: 3 QSOs
20m CW: 3 QSOs
20m SSB: 1 QSO

England G: 3
Spain EA: 1
USA W: 3

The VHF QSOs and the commencement of HF ops were separated by an interval of just over one hour while I pitched the backpacking tent, laid out my sleeping stuff and erected the 20m QWGP antenna. Three of those four HF QSOs were with US stations which bode well for the night ahead.

Tuesday 19th July 2022 - Shining Tor G/SP-004, 0011-0839z - 121 QSOs

20m CW: 49 QSOs
20m SSB: 21 QSOs
20m FT4: 44 QSOs
20m FT8: 2 QSOs
2m FM: 5 QSOs

Croatia 9A: 1 QSO
Germany DL: 7 QSOs
Spain EA: 7 QSOs
France F: 3 QSOs
French Guiana FY: 1 QSO
England G: 10 QSOs
Hungary HA: 1 QSO
Switzerland HB: 1 QSO
Italy I: 6 QSOs
Puerto Rico KP4: 2 QSO
Bulgaria LZ: 2 QSOs
Finland OH: 3 QSOs
Czech Republic OK: 1 QSO
Russia RA: 12 QSOs
Slovenia S5: 3 QSOs
Poland SP: 1 QSO
Greece SV: 2 QSOs
Uzbekistan UK: 1 QSO
Canada VE: 6 QSOs
USA W: 50 QSOs
Romania YO: 1 QSO

Undoubtedly, the stand-out feature of the overnight activation was the 62 transatlantic QSOs - very satisfying indeed with 5 watts QRP and a home-made simple antenna. The call from FY5KE (French Guiana - South America) just after 8am local time, with big signal and excellent audio, was considerable surprise - but a welcome one.

It was lovely to wake up on my 52nd birthday with a splendid dawn view across to Shutlingsloe from my summit. And then not quite so lovely to have the notorious naked jogger turn up on summit and insist on having a “natter” with me as I operated, with him stood in the open porch of my tent! I looked the other way - towards the back wall of my tent, and was abrupt in my side of the conversation, in the hope that he would quickly clear off (polite version) - which fortunately, he did.

Later birthday celebrations with the family involved beer and steak - lovely!

8 Likes

Great effort Tom and boys. :+1: :beers: :beers:

Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Happy birthday Tom,
A cold beer is good for lowering the temperature when it’s hot.
Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Tom, sorry I missed you. Well done on the Tor!!!

Best 73 Tony & Elaine x

1 Like

Congratulations on the birthday activation and thanks for putting up with the heat AND dark for my first chase of Shining Tor. I’ve recently been trying to remedy the dearth of UK summits in my chaser log, but daylight propagation hasn’t been cooperating. You’ve got me contemplating a night activation now – glad to see quite a few EU chasers are in the shack in the early morning hours.

Matt
W4GO

1 Like

Thanks Matt, I didn’t realise you were a SOTA chaser. I also self-spotted on the POTA site (I was in G-0048) and assumed most of my US traffic were POTA chasers.

It was pure guesswork to try 20m but it held up superbly for transatlantic working right through the night. Huge fun and well worth the sleep deprivation!

2 Likes