SOTA in Snowdonia today

Apologies for anyone listening out for me today, the wind was extremely strong and a good deal of snow about on Snowdon which made activating very difficult. But managed four contacts with G8UVC, 2W0OSH, 2E0XYL and 2W0CVO, many thanks.

Thanks to Barry 2W0LYD for my single contact on Yr Aran and single part contact (just too windy to operate) on Y Lliwedd.

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:
Good effort Roger in completing a walk which is quite challenging under winter conditions. Radio activity would definitely take a back seat and safety paramount. If I’m to be blown off a mountain, Y Lliwedd would not be my first choice.
Frank

In reply to MW0IDX:

Hi Roger,

Followed you on aprs. Nothing from 8am (around Betws-Y-Coed) until 10am when you suddenly appeared on the 560m contour ascending Yr Aran. Listened for you on all three summits but no trace of you. I wonder what power/antenna/rig you used? The aprs worked well between Yr Aran & Snowdon and across to Y Lliwedd so was able to keep track of you (bet the phone is not on ‘3’ whose coverage seems to be poor around here.) Look forward to hearing you next time Roger when hopefully the wind will not be as fearsome on the summits (you could not have dragged me up there today HI).

73, Mike G4BLH

In reply to MW0IDX:

Nice to make the contact with you on Snowdon today Roger. Thank you for the points. It was pretty wind on the Wirral this afternoon so I can imagine it would have been horrendous on your summits today. Glad you made it down safely.

Karen

In reply to Mike, Frank & Karen:

Thanks for your messages.

Mike, I was using my usual Kenwwod THF-7E at 5 watts. I forgot to take my longer car whip so had to make do with the rubber duck antenna/dummy load which wasn’t ideal. To be honest, I wasn’t in the best operating positions for any of the summits.

Hailstones were stinging my face making it very hard progress onto Snowdon.

I was using my IPhone with 3G, the signal always drops out after Betws y Coed and only picks up again after getting close to Yr Aran.

On Y Lliwedd I was holding onto the radio for dear life it was that windy, didn’t dare step onto the top of the summit.

To make matters worse I had cramp in my legs which I’ve not had before, must be getting old :wink:

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:

Hi Roger,

All understood, as I said before you would not have got me up there at all HI,the weather was bad enough here at 750ft, never mind at 3000+. The main thing is that you made it up and back down safely.

Interesting on the 3G coverage, it is very patchy around here.

‘I must be getting old’…a sad fact of life Roger, I would have to attempt such summits on long summer days. I would never manage it in the daylight at this time of year. Cramp or not you must be a lot fitter than me (not difficult !!)

Mike G4BLH