SOTA Goat is back (Part 1)

It has become standard operating procedure for me to log out / log back in to my SOTA account on SOTA Goat before I leave home for a summit. The login expires. Usually at the worst possible time (i.e. on a summit with crap mobile service, in a snowstorm or downpour). Not a big deal, just another item for the pre-flight checklist.

-Josh

1 Like

Thanks for your hints, Andrew, but this hasn’t worked on my installation. I had logged off and back and could set up and edit an alert with SOTA Goat, but no background color. Deleting this test alert from the SOTA Goat app didn’t work unfortunately - it displayed “Deleting …” and the circle turned endlessly until I closed the app.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

Hi Markus,
If you don’t see your own posts highlighted, then you are logged on with a different user id from that which was used to post the original alert or spot.

What follows is a guess: It used to be that you could (accidentally) log on with a user id that had a space embedded or before the callsign letters. Internally, sotawatch used to validate that user and find it matched (by removing spaces before the comparison) but did not remove (the spaces) from the callsign in the actual post. So when you want to edit it, you have to log on with the same leading or trailing space. I thought that problem had been fixed long ago, but just in case, try with your home computer using the website rather than sotagoat.

Good luck…
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

Edit: I see you are using sotl.as to post spots, so the above guess is probably not relevant.

Logout/Log back in… I think the credential cache gets invalidated (cookies maybe? not entirely sure)… but I just logged out/logged in to resolve. I try and remember to do this before I leave consistent coverage just to be sure!

Hi all,
my application shows nearby summits acc to my location during second previous weekend (10 days ago) and does not wish to update.
On the map actual current location appears OK.
Any tips ?

73, Jarek SP9MA

Jarek,
I have similar behavior (guessing we all do) with the nearby summits list. It refreshes the list when you open the app (if it was closed), but not sure how @WW1X has it setup to refresh (or not) when the app remains open and you move locations. For example, if I open the app up at home it shows the nearby summits, but then I drive 50 miles to do a SOTA it still shows the summits near my home (most of the time). I have seen that sometimes it refreshes, but not sure what the secret combination is other than closing the app fully and re-opening. In the original version of sotagoat the same behavior would happen if you kept the summit page open and then moved location, but that was easily remedied, but just navigating up to the top level and diving back into the summits list. Maybe Rockwell will see this and respond or I can email him. Been meaning to mention this behavior, so glad you did! Jim/K7MK

Hi Jim,
Thank you. It was unchanged despite on application closing and openong again but today I found that it works = shows summits properly. In the meantime I restarted the phone, may by it was helped may be not. Anyway now it works. I will check again after next activation trip.

73, Jarek

thanks a lot, great app. Would it be possible in one of the next versions that different filters can be used for the spots. For example only Europe or similar to sotl.as

DD6FM - Marco

I have problems to send a spot with sota goat. I can only use a comma as separator. For example 7,110. There is always an error message. I think it is because of the comma. Am I the only one with this problem? Or am I doing something wrong?

Yes, you must use a period. One workaround is to enter the frequency in the notes field and then copy/paste it into the frequency field. The problem is that when you are entering the frequency, you only have access to the onscreen keyboard containing numbers and the period. I assume because of your region settings, you have a comma rather than a period.

It does seem like a bug. The app should allow entry using a comma or a period.

I have the same problem with spotting. It used to work prior to sotawatch3 so perhaps it is a bug related to the API. Pasting the frequency using a period separator does not work for me.
73, Yngvi TF3Y

I’ve asked the team if we can accept a period or comma for frequencies. Stand by…

-Josh

The SMS spotter accepts either and converts commas to periods when submitted to the API.

It’s probably wrong to say it’s a bug with the API. The old spotlite interface which these used accepted just about anything, so you could almost certainly post a spot with a frequency of “FORTY ONE POINT TWO THREE METRES” if you so desired. The API enforced valid frequencies, and has published documentation that states input is decimals using a ‘.’ as decimal separator, and SW3 as a client enforces this as well.

The only place that can be locale aware is at the client side, so really SOTA Spotter or SOTA Goat should do the conversion to ‘.’ before posting to the API.

Having said that, I’ll patch the API anyway to alter any commas to ‘.’ since it’s easy enough to do, but it will fall back on the client to still ensure that the frequency submitted is valid, ie, ‘1,296.100’ as a frequency will necessarily have to fail despite that being a valid locale-specific form of a 23cm frequency (which the API would have parsed correctly until the frequency changes a few days back to disable kHz spotting).

The API has been patched to accept commas (thanks Andrew!).

Please give it a try and let us know if you still have trouble.

Josh

2 Likes

I have been using the SW3 spot facility on my mobile phone of late. Two things that would make it even better for me on a hilltop would be a summit reference check that shows the summit name when you complete the reference and a prefill for your callsign preference. Neither is important but they would make it a more polished product for the activator. Mind you the callsign might not help a chaser adding a spot I suppose.

May be I missinterpreted your post, but I currently have that not only for the callsign, but also for all the other fields requested when sending a spot on SW3.

Guru
P.S. perhaps you meant you were missing those features on Sota Goat?

It now works perfectly. I actually had to log out and log in again. Something I did following email correpondence with Rockwell WW1X.

1 Like

I too wonder if it will ever be out on android. It sounds like a great app from those that use it. If it is that great, I would pay for it.

I doubt it, but you could ask @WW1X

It is a great app!