SOTA/GMA Debate

To be fair to Fritz DL4FDM, can the SOTA/GMA debate be carried on here if you feel it’s important and leave Fritz’s thread for it’s original topic.

Mike GW0DSP

Am I right in thinking that GMA activations use reference like GMA/SX-032 rather than DM/SX-032? What if the summit is valid for both SOTA and GMA?

Where there might be confusion is if an activation is on a summit that is valid for both SOTA and GMA, but the operating conditions are not valid for SOTA. For instance, operating from a car. Will it be clear to chasers (and activators) that they can’t claim the SOTA points in such an instance?

I don’t know, does the GMA permit activation from mobiles?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

The activation rules are the same as sota Tom, only the points system is different. At present Sota refs are used, but I believe that will change in the near future.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to M1EYP:

According to Tom DL1DVE the activation rules are the same, no mobiles, generators etc, just a less rigorous definition of the hills and no “one activation per year” rule. If this is so then as I said in the other thread the two schemes should be complementary, a valid SOTA activation being a valid GMA activation, though the GMA activations on non-SOTA summits will not count for SOTA, nor will subsequent same-year activations of SOTA-valid summits score SOTA activator points. This is not a problem as long as it is well understood.

The only disaster I foresee is if the two schemes become antagonistic with activators (and possibly chasers) splitting into two camps. This is unnecessary and counter productive.

Brian G8ADD

A tip:

We starting in 2009 also with our own program here in Belgium. We’re working on it with the group.
More details follows later … but I give you a hint.

Imgur

Imgur

Mer X-mas.

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to ON6DSL:

I hope that Belgium and Germany still stay as part of SOTA Luc.

I must admit, it comes as no surprise, a lot of us saw this coming.

Good luck with your adventures.

Mike GW0DSP

Will “BOTA” cover more than just summits?

Belgium on the air can also mean castles, mills?

In reply to ON3WAB:

Chocolate factories?

In reply to G8ADD:

The only disaster I foresee is if the two schemes become antagonistic
with activators (and possibly chasers) splitting into two camps. This
is unnecessary and counter productive.

Hello…
For me personally the GMA has the aim to hold all of the summits on the list we have this year. I want to walk on the summits…operating ham radio and have fun…who cares about points or rankings. I don´t want to drive hunderts of km´s to go to a summit.
Here in Saxonia we have the “Sächsischer Berwettbewerb” since decades without any trouble…why it´s not possible with SOTA???
OK…I will work the GMA next…if the Summits also count for SOTA…it´s also ok, but i will not upload the qso to 2 associations.

cu from the summits…
Tom

P.S sorry about my english…that`s why i use CW:-))

In reply to ON3WAB:

You have at right Peter, Yes, we working on a program about:

Summits with Ref.ON/SU+NR, Bunkers with Ref.ON/BU+NR, Forts with Ref.ON/FO+NR,
Abbeys with Ref.ON/AB+NR, Rivers with Ref.ON/RI+NR, Lookout towers with Ref. ON/LT+NR, Nature parks with Ref.ON/NP+NR, Warmomuments with Ref.ON/WM+NR, Warcemeteries with Ref.ON/WC+NR, etc …

In short … all the major sights from Belgium.

But …
NO Mills = BMA
NO Castles = BCA
NO Lichthouse = LOTA

But there is still some work to be done.

More later.

Luc ON6DSL

Ps : We have more than our delicious Chocolate

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to ON3WAB:

Chocolate factories?

You wish :o). We should add breweries then as well. That would be a success

Peter

In reply to DL4MFM:

I think GMA is a logic result of the MT’s dictates and the motionless
AM. No discussion about rules was desired. But WE are the activators.

Sorry Mario, I can’t follow you.
When France got involved in SOTA, we first read the General Rules and…accept these rules !
Here we have some mountaneous regions and others flat like my hand. And we cannot make summits grow there !
So what can we do ? Create a FMA? (French Mountains Award) with same basics rules than SOTA, and add some others that seems good for us ? add Eiffel tower in the summits list (with a 300m prominence)and call CQ on same freq than SOTA, GMA etc…
Now, may be other countries such as Belgium, Netherland etc…can create their own association…it will be soon the bush on the frequencies.

Must I say that I’m very sad this evening !
Not a good Christmas for me.

73 Alain

In reply to ON3WAB:

I’ll vote for that one!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to ON3WAB:

I’ll vote for that one!

…and G1INK would definitely be the top activator;-)

In reply to F6ENO:

and call CQ on same freq than SOTA, GMA etc…

Now I got the message. Thanks for the hint. Because SOTA “owns” 7032± no-one else is allowed to use that frequency for “something else” also related to summits. That would explain why somebody bad mannered tried to chase DL8DXL off the frequency without having the “courage” to identify himself.

(Yep, I do know that nobody owns whatever frequency).

I consider your comment regarding QRP on 7032 a strange one. Why did you work 40W SOTA SP/DL8DXL/P on 7031.x but consider 40W GMA DL8DXL/P (also SOTA BTW) on 7032 as “illegal”?

Things to explain to us.

73 Norby

In reply to F6ENO:

Must I say that I’m very sad this evening !
Not a good Christmas for me.

73 Alain

Hi Alain,

its ONLY a HOBBY…keep cool please. i can´t understand why you haven´t a
good christmas now, thats all not so important. we have bigger problems
in the world i think.

to your comment about 7032 as a qrp frequency with now gma-qrp stations
who makes trouble now ??? everybody who is a active sota chaser or activator
knows that on 7030 is the QRP frequency. and not every chaser in sota is a qrp´er. everyone knows ( or not )the problem that the qrp´ers have since sota
on 40m-cw,but nobody cares…
so please don´t argument in this way please…

have a nice christmas !

vy 73 Klaus

In reply to GW0DSP:

I hope that Belgium and Germany still stay as part of SOTA Luc.
I must admit, it comes as no surprise, a lot of us saw this coming.
Good luck with your adventures.

Dear Mike,

Of course we want to continue participating in the program sota. But at a very, very low level … we want make no longer long-distance (100+km) driving … what is normal and understandable I think.

Actually, MT had something to adapt to the low countries. Now the SOTA program lose a whole bunch of summits and activators and chasers.

I think anyway, if we had a bit more Summits on various areas N-S/E-W throughout Belgium, it was a positive move, so that each OM had the chance to do some activation all over Belgium. So SOTA getting more publicity in Belgium what is now certainly not.

That is why I actually begged for “more” Summits.

But this discussion is over. Enough about … fate has decided otherwise.

Mer X-mas

Luc

In reply to LX1NO:

no-one else is allowed to use that frequency for “something else” also related to summits

I did’nt wrote that; 7.032 is not a SOTA freq. It’s a QRP frequency. So you can use this QRG for GMA, but mostly if you run a QRP rig.

I consider your comment regarding QRP on 7032 a strange one. Why did
you work 40W SOTA SP/DL8DXL/P on 7031.x but consider 40W GMA DL8DXL/P
(also SOTA BTW) on 7032 as “illegal”?

When in Poland, Fred was calling CQ SOTA and sent ref SP/SZ-009, that’s why I had a QSO with him. When he was on SX-025, he was sending GMA/SX-005; not illegal but I did’nt try the contact. Remember “everybody does what he wants”

That would explain why somebody bad mannered tried to chase DL8DXL off the frequency

I hope this words are not for me.I have been listening Fred for a time and did’nt heard anybody trying to “chase” him off the frequency.

In reply to DF2GN:
You are right Klaus, it’s a hobby, and of course, I use myself 7032 when I’m chaser with 150W. I was speaking about QRP activators.

Well, I suppose that I’m wrong and that GMA will be a good thing for SOTA.

A nice Christmas to you

73 Alain

In reply to F6ENO:

Gentlemen, I know it probably sounds strange coming from me, but please, stay cool, it is just a hobby as Klaus said.

If I make a friend through SOTA, is he/she no longer my friend because he/she activates GMA instead? My friends will always be my friends no matter which banner they choose to activate under.

It is the season of good will, let’s all enjoy it, in peace and harmony.

Vy 73
Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Amen to that, Mike.

Brian G8ADD