SOTA FunEvenings

It turns out the UKSMG website did have the wrong information. That website now has been corrected accordingly.

Just entered my logs, and I am second in the Open section :slight_smile: … until everyone else enters their logs :frowning:

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Thanks for the info re UKSMG Tom, thought it was odd.

73 Mike

Geoff G6MZX - I did hear you last night, but suffering from deep QSB on your signal, and splatter from GW8ZRE/P who was very loud only 3kcs down from your QRG. Were you on G/SP-008 Boulsworth Hill?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

'Just entered my logs, and I am second in the Open section :slight_smile: … until
everyone else enters their logs :frowning:

Sorry Tom but you are now third and I am second :slight_smile:

Thanks for the S2S, belting signal from you, the delta loop seemed to be working well.

Stayed on until 9pm local when poor light stopped play!

35 QSOs with best dx G1YLE in JO02OB (322km) - didn’t hear G0RQL but worked many of the regular chasers.

So are you getting hooked on this contesting lark Tom?
It gets very addictive!

Best wishes,

Ron, GW4EVX

In reply to GW4EVX:
I’m not sure if anyone in here has read the rules for contest from the RSGB, is in the rules,
This is only a warning as they dont want the big (400 watts)boys to lose do they,

The RSGB Contest Committee has revised the VHF General Rules relating to the use of the DX Cluster and other spotting/chat networks (including internet facilities for example ON4KST) in RSGB VHF and UHF contests.
The revised rules are listed below:

4i. The active use (posting messages, arranging skeds, self spotting etc) of the DX Cluster and other spotting networks (including internet facilities for example ON4KST) to assist an entry to a contest on 6m, 4m, 2m and 70cm is banned in all RSGB contests with the exception of three IARU Region 1 co-ordinated contests (50MHz Trophy in June, 144MHz Trophy in September and 432MHz to 248GHz IARU in October) and the 144MHz Marconi contest in November where permitted by the IARU rules for these contests. You may spot a DX station as long as your operating frequency is not given.

4k. All information must be copied off air at the time of the QSO and on the band in use. Databases must not be used to fill in missing information. The DX Cluster, talkback channels etc must not be used for passing or confirming any contest related information.

To help operators understand these revised rules, a list of do’s and don’t are listed below:

Do spot DX you have worked or heard when tuning the band for the benefit of all.
Do use the DX cluster to help you find DX during the contest.
Don’t use the DX cluster to help the DX find you.
Don’t ask other stations that you work to "please spot me"
Don’t spot DX you’ve just worked on your frequency.
Don’t spot your fellow team member (if operating in team/multi band contests eg UKAC, AFS, VHF NFD etc).

Only a few comments Steve m0sgb

And quite correct as well. Spotting oneself during a contest is clearly not in the spirit. However, what does happen is that (a) activators alert for their intended band/mode ahead of the operation, and (b) chasers spot activators when they find them. Both of these are OK in the above statement.

I probably made one mistake, in that I nominated an exact QRG in my advance Alert. As it was, I never operated on that frequency anyway, but it is probably best to give nothing more than “50MHz” in an alert ahead of a contest.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

…and I spotted a sota activator on a sota summit, of my own volition, I was most definately not asked by Tom for a spot.

73 Mike

In reply to M0SGB:

This is only a warning as they dont want the big (400 watts)boys to lose do
they

Sorry Steve, I’ve puzzled over that statement but just cannot fathom out the point you’re making. Can you elucidate further?

p.s. 400W is not big when you’re talking about UK VHF contest stations. Big is when a 5kVA genny isn’t up to the job!

Andy
MM0FMF

I think this has gone a little off topic, i thought it was about fun evenings and arranging times and dates.

In reply to M3VXX:

I don’t see any conflict here: as the fun nights coincide with the contests some interaction is inevitable, some people will play contest as well as play SOTA, so it is as well that we know how to comport ourselves to the satisfaction of the RSGB. Furthermore, as Moderator, I have no intention of blinkering the discussions, they are more informative and more entertaining if allowed to freewheel!

Brian G8ADD

I did hear you Ron and called a few times but unfortunately you failed to hear me,will try again next time.73 Don.

In reply to G8ADD:

As the originator of this thread, I agree with you 100% Brian, the 2 topics go hand in hand so no problem.

Mike

I stand corrected.

no worries i was a little tired when i posted that i thin it was 6-7am in the morn!

anyway … i cant wait to activate one of the evenings from Titterstone clee g/wb 004

have any dates been put in to place yet?

Tris

In reply to M3VXX:

Hi Tris

6th May is the start date, we need to decide on a start time yet.

73 Mike GW0DSP

My QRV time on Tuesdays each week is rigid at 2000 to 2045 local, so times that include that period would be great for me.

Tom

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mike, just a wee bit confused perhaps you can clarify.

Are we following the schedule of the Gas Board on the Tue evenings and using their contest bands or, are we just doing the normal SOTA thing.

Sorry for being a pain.

The SOTA Fun Evening schedule was separate to the RSGB contest schedule last year Myke, although a few activators did also take part in the contest. I don’t do the 1.3/2.3GHz or 70MHz weeks, but I will only be on 50/144/433-ssb on the other contest weeks.

I am looking forward to the first SOTA Fun Evening, because that coincides with the 144MHz week of the RSGB ACs, so there should be loads of 2m-ssb activity and S2S.

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:

Thanks Tom.

Now QRV on 50 Mhz with QRO of 1 watt. Look forward to working you and Jimmy.

Look forward to the contact Myke. Don’t forget to have your locator ready! You won’t work Jimmy though. He’s at air cadets on a Tuesday evening.

In reply to G6DDQ:

Hi Myke

We do our own thing on fun evenings as Tom has already explained. It just happens that on Tuesday evenings, there are also some contests on which offers us a good few s2s contacts.
I look forward to hearing you on Tuesday evenings.

Mike