Sota Fun Evening

In reply to G4OIG:

Unfortunately Gerald I will be away next week operating LA/GM4CFS/P but not from any mountains!!

73 Glyn

In reply to GM4CFS:

Hi Glyn, I worked a couple of GMs on 2m SSB last night, one of whom was only a mile from GM4COX QTH (59/57). I also left the beam pointing GM whilst working stations to the South, only turning it to bring in Richard CWI who was in Norfolk - never mind, we exchanged on Smeg instead. For info I also worked a GM groundwave on 10m. A spot would make all the difference, either by using spot lite or phoning a spot friendly chaser - then youd have a few “big guns” looking in your direction. Glad you got a few in the log.
73 Steve G1INK.

In reply to 2E0HJD:

Hi Les well i for one would have liked to have worked you on ssb but
as your alert stated that you were using only 4m and cw only i did not
even bother listening.

If your alert had stated that you were going to do ssb then it would
have been different and im sure you would have worked some stations on 80m ssb, when i see a alert for cw only as i have no interest in that mode i dont even bother looking.

my advise is that if you are going to use ssb that you include that
fact in your alert with an approx qrg and then the ssb chasers will
make a point of looking for you.

Biting my tongue a little here, Mick.

Although it is now impossible to see the original alert, it specifically stated 3.566-CW and 3.666-SSB as well as 70-ALL. If that is not clear enough, well, I give up!!

Les, G3VQO

In reply to 2E0HJD:

What makes you believe that I didn’t announce on CW my intended QSY to 3666 ?

Anyway, I’ll treat your latest comments as an apology.

SSB not yet out of the frame for good, but …

Les, G3VQO

In reply to GW0DSP:

Morning all,

Is this on tonight ???

Rob

In reply to G1TPO:

Hi Rob

Yes it’s on tonight and every tuesday night, so just alert as for any normal activation and go for it.

Mike

It’s Tuesday! It’s SOTA Fun Evening! We’re into Autumn and the headtorches will be needed, but I’ve had some of my best evening VHF sessions in the October session. And it is 2m tonight (FM 1800-1855z, SSB 1900-2130z) so there will be a huge amount of activity available. Plus the wx looks reasonable too!

Anyone else giving it a go? Always good to have some S2S activity on these nights. I’ve placed my alert anyway.

4 Likes

I see Stuart @G1ZAR will be operating from Shining Tor G/SP-004 tonight as well - like me doing 2m FM 7-8pm BST and 2m SSB 8-10.30pm BST.

Any others joining for S2S stuff? Hopefully with two of us on lots of chasers will be around to work us - and I know we’d both appreciate being worked on both modes - so if you work us on 2m FM before 8pm, do come and have a look for us on SSB later too.

A note that most of the 2m FM activity tonight will be down in the 144.5125 to 144.7875 “All modes” section, rather than the usual 145.300 to 145.575. Also that Stuart and I won’t be self-spotting as also submitting contest entries - so chasers might need to help each other in that regard.

1 Like

31 QSOs on 2m FM for part one of the evening. That was reasonable, especially the QSO down to IO70sp in Cornwall.

5 QSOs on 2m SSB in part two - that was not so reasonable! My feeder cable broke at 1908z, and I could see no realistic way I was going to be able to cobble a makeshift repair to see me through the activation.

So an early finish. I’ve tried to reattach the departed croc clip at home but the cable had already been “repaired” several times and is in a bit of a mess. My attempts have failed. Need a rethink before tomorrow night’s 2m FT8 event…

1 Like

I think the thread should be re-named “SOTA NO Fun evening”
Due to road closures and diversions I arrived late at the parking spot for my chosen summit.
At this time the rain was pouring down so I at my sausage and chips in the car before setting off for the top.
Leaving the car at around 6.15 local time, it was a pleasant walk to the summit, with no head torch required.
I started to set up, and then realised I had only 8 of the required 9 elements for my Yagi…the missing element being the driven one. Nothing I could do except abandon the activation and head off back to the car. On the return I had my torch on scanning the ground in case I had dropped the element on the way up, but it was not found.
“Oh well”, or words to that effect. with time left on my pass out, I thought I would visit Tom and see how he was getting on, so I selected G/SP-015 on the sat-nav and off I went.
I thought it odd that there were no cars in the usual parking spot, and this was confirmed on reaching the summit…not a sole in sight. I had a little wander around before heading back to the car. It was now about 9.30pm local, so time to head off home.
A dissapointing evening, but still better than sitting in front of the TV.

73…Stuart

1 Like

Operating the club radio station on 2m yesterday eve and heard nothing on 2m FM. Moved to SSB and managed Waverton/IO83OE (outside Chester) to Scotland on 2m SSB. But no SOTA

1 Like

It certainly sounds like I was not the only one to have a less-than-satisfactory evening. Sorry to miss you Stuart. You must have thought “What a waste of time” - unless you activated on a handheld of course while you were there!

I’ve now “repaired” my feeder ready for tonight (2m FT8) but my repairs of feeders tend to be rather short-lived. I guess I should stick to HF groundplanes where my success rate is far higher!

I’ve also had an offer to borrow a SB5 feeder and an offer (from the same person) to make me a new one. Either way, I should be QRV in the 2m FT8 this evening. And perhaps we can all try again on the main 2m activity night / Fun Evening next month - November 7th.

2 Likes