SOTA friends net on Peanut - 0900z Monday 20th April

That becomes 5:30 AM local time in Sydney. As I said on the net, lucky Peanut doesnt have a camera invovled!

How about 2130 instead?

2 Likes

2130 is more practical for east coast VK, being 0730 local. In ZL it is local 0930 and in Western Australia, 0530. 2100 would probably work too. I think the chat on Monday 6th was still going an hour after it started. Maybe it can start earlier for those who are around then, continuing as additional participants join in during the following hour or more?

I actually got engaged earlier in the evening, ie around 0730 UTC in some QSOs on 80m, wanting to make 4 CW contacts for the ZL-sponsored Marathon (4 contacts per day on as many days as possible between now and the end of the year). The callers kept coming and 80m was quiet, signals were big from ZL and VK5. So I didn’t get into the kitchen until 1930 local, 0930 UTC, then was busy with dinner for an hour and finally looked at the dashboard and found a dozen callsigns still listed. But by then it was time to do the dishes etc, so that timeslot didn’t work for me last night.

I’ll try to log in for the next one… thanks Tom.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

I’m OK if the timeslot gets shared around a bit so others in different time zones are able to have a go at a reasonable time.

Hi Tom, 21.30 world be fine also for me. Geoff vk3sq

Hi, I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but just wondered why Peanut had been selected (given that it doesn’t run on iPhones) rather than something like EchoLink (which I think runs on any device)? I’ve never used either, so this is a genuine query rather than promotion of my favourite mode (a la cw/ssb/FT8… :wink:)

Sorry just found the original thread here. I should probably have posted this query there. If an admin can move this I’d be grateful. Thanks

I hadn’t noticed it was Windows/Android only or DSTAR/DMR only.

The developer comments that it is not on Apple platforms because they don’t support experimental software. Ironic when you see the bugs coming from Apple. No different from Windows. I use them all and think they are all fairly dodgy…
Andrew vk1da

Well Andrew, apparently Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated “If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.”

In response to Bill’s comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single “General Protection Fault” warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask “Are you sure?” before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You’d have to press the “Start” button to turn the engine off. (Mind you this has since become fairly commonplace!)

:smile:

4 Likes

However, we digress! Can anyone explain why Peanut is better please? It looks as though I may have more time on my hands soon.

Better than what? I don’t think it’s better or worse than other VOIP gateways/apps I’ve used. It may be when it comes to linking the DMR and DSTAR gateways but that’s not something I ever play with.

Why is it being used? Because it was talked about and has a SOTA specific room. Talked about, people investigate, find others investigating, becomes a place to talk to SOTA people.

It’s not worth discussing why not on Apple … (some(or all) of those 10 points apply to Apple as well …)
Peanut runs on the OS’s that it runs on, and that’s that.

Now why Peanut ?
That is a good question.
Read my initial post about it, and how it compares to the three digital systems.

Feel free to disagree … but the simplicity of it’s use seems to appeal to people, and it’s just great fun to play with while we’re locked up …
Luc - ON7DQ

1 Like

The 90s called wanting its joke email back :smiley:

2 Likes

Good Times will be along in your inbox soon! :slight_smile:

Well in my personal experience, Peanut is easier to use, and works better than Echolink, SOTALINK and other things. Several attempts to have global SOTA chat nets have happened over the years, and this one is the first that seems to have gained some traction. Of course this current Covid-19 crisis may have something to do with that. But I think the look, feel and structure of Peanut has something to do with it as well.

I’m a Fusion (C4FM) man when it comes to digital, and an iPhone / iPad user. It would be much better for me if Peanut ran on iOS and could be accessed via YSF. Even so, it’s still better than other options - in my experience.

1 Like

Thanks Tom, that’s all I was asking. I’m not advocating one over t’other as I said in my original query.

Back in 2008-2009, when I was living in Aranjuez-Madrid, I remember using Echo-Link on my Laptop to have VOIP private chats late in the evenings with a couple of ham friends up North in my birth land Navarra , where I finally got back in 2012.
We also used to chat through Messenger.
I didn’t want those Echo-Link rooms where you get exported to VHF repeaters and you may easily get involved in huge nets like in a 2m VHF repeater, but with an even bigger range. That private room for us three was just perfect.
That was very nice and I now find Peanut about as nice as that with a couple of very interesting added features. There’s a specific SOTA room where all SOTA fans can connect to. We can have it on our Android smartphones and thus use it either at home or anywhere we want as long as we have phone data connection available.

Guru

1 Like

If you just want to chat, make a free Discord server. That has a web interface, plus native apps for iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and Linux.

OK, I just took ten seconds and made a SOTA server. This link is good for 24 hours.

wunder

1 Like

The SOTA chat net on Peanut will take place at 2130z today.

1 Like

I’ll be doing the 6m UKAC from home tonight. This finishes at 2130z, so I may be a few minutes late joining the net.