SOTA Frequencies for 7mhz and 14mhz

In reply to M0JLA:

That activation was exactly a year ago; maybe a repeat tomorrow.

What frequencies will you be using, Rod?

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

" > Simon - stay clear of 7.117 because if your not from Portsmouth &

running less than 2Kw - you wont be welcome.

LOL

73 Mike
2E0YYY "

Just say you know someone born in Pompey (Liz M6EPW)

Colin
M0XSD.

In reply to M0JLA:

That activation was exactly a year ago; maybe a repeat tomorrow.

I think Rod it will not be a repeat :sunglasses: Hopefully speak tomorrow!
Mike G6TUH

In reply to G1INK:

Simon - stay clear of 7.117 because if your not from Portsmouth &
running less than 2Kw - you wont be welcome.

Simon,

Steve (G1INK) is absolutely right. The net is a nightmare. I listened to one station talking about his new from Ebay - quote ā€œbroadband amplifierā€. It was very much broadband. I measured the signal - it was 7.1 kc wide.

Mike G6TUH

In reply to K6ILM:

Hi Elliot,
I have been keeping my ears open for you but no joy.

I donā€™t need any checklist anymore. I got ill on a mountain abroad years ago(not enough oxygen) so I just stay toasty warm as a chaser now 8-)))

She married me (she still works and I have retired - good way round!) and I never curse and have never been in the Navy but I suppose I could come back in another life as a sailor or more likely a wild garlic :sunglasses:

Mike
G6TUH

"I remember one dynamic activator arriving at the summit & connecting reverse polarity to his battery & blowing up his ft857 "

You will only do this once I think :wink:

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:

Iā€™m sure we will eventually hear each other, Mike, assuming olā€™ Sol grows some more pimples. Iā€™ve been climbing only since August and only one contact on a suitable frequencyā€¦15 meters. When things start to look good on 10 or 12, Iā€™ll try to email you at the eclipse address.
Regards
Elliott, K6ILM
Newbie but goodie

In reply to G6TUH:

It was very much broadband. I measured the signal - it was 7.1 kc wide.

Mike, G6TUH,

I think that might explain the QRM I get on 7.118

It would be a pity to forget the notebook and pencil again. I do try to make each mistake only once; after all, there are enough available. A bit like Summits, really, but without the geographical distribution. However, I hope to pass on the ā€œreverse polarityā€ one.

I donā€™t think we are likely to speak tomorrow as you only appear in my HF logs and as it is weekend I will be on 2m or 70cm. More weekday activations soon.

Mike, 2E0YYY/P,

I expect to go for 144.320 ssb and 433.450 FM with a fallback to any free space I can find on 2m FM. I will only have the small, 5m, fishing pole so the 70cm aerial will be lower than I like. So maybe will not reach you. It is also OK on 2m, so I will probably be listening on the handy and hoping to catch you, Barry, Michael or Richard. I expect Simon will be too early for me.
Where are you heading for?

Rod

In reply to M0JLA:

Hi Rod, not too sure where Iā€™m going. I havenā€™t done Long Mynd this year but this may have to be a smash and grab for me :frowning:

Iā€™ll take the colinear along for 2m, normally no problem reaching South Wales.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to M0JLA:

Hello Rod

I think that might explain the QRM I get on 7.118

Yes it is pretty bad, many running 400w +. If a SOTA activation gets on before 0900 when their net starts then the QRM from the chasers obliges them to shuffle LF. They have a few distant calls but the majority could use FM to chat.

I donā€™t think we are likely to speak tomorrow as you only appear in my
HF logs and as it is weekend I will be on 2m or 70cm. More weekday
activations soon.

OK - Anyway catch up with you soon :wink:

Mike G6TUH

In reply to 2E0CHV:
Hi Simon,
I activated G/WB-004 this very afternoon on 40M SSB. I used 7.118 which remained clear during my activation - but it can be hard sometimes to find a clear freq.

It was very cold today, probably -5degC at the Summit with a cold wind. I intended doing 30M and 20M as well but gave up after 45 mins, the XYL and I were too cold.

I hope to do some other G/WB summits on Sat but also dont know which ones yet. I will be interested in which one you choose. We may be able to do a very short S2S. Again I will using 40M SSB but will take the 2M HH as well. I look out for you.

73 Andrew G4AFI

In reply to K6ILM:

Hi Elliott,

Yes please do, that would be great.

If you email me I will let you have my mobile number.

The pimples are too small right now - just checked 8-(

Trouble is that Sol will roll over in a while and we will be plunged into RF darkness againā€¦

Best wishes
Mike G6TUH

(Future garlic plant)

Hi Folks,

I would never have guessed my simple post wouls have generated so much discussion, thank you all!

I am pretty much packed for my activation tomorrow and have plenty to keep me warm, including my new Zippo handwarmer.

I am aiming for GW/MW-013 Corndon Hill, not the greatest hill walk I will ever undertake, but will be perfectly adequate as the real purpose of the exercise is to try out the KX3.

I aim to be QRV on 7.118 +/- qrm at 11:30z, followed by 14.285 from 1200z, again +/- qrm.

Possible 144.300 afterwards if I can fight of the chill for long enough! Hope to work a few of you then!

I have yet to get to grips with self spotting so will be relying on others to help me out with thisā€¦

Vy 73

Simon
2E0CHV

In reply to 2E0CHV:

Hi Simon,

If you get stuck with no signal on the mobile or Internet, first find a clear frequency on HF and then put out a call on 145.500 for a SOTA chaser who can spot you on this frequency.

The chasers are brilliant and youā€™ll have a spot up in seconds.

HTH

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0CHV:

I am pretty much packed for my activation tomorrow and have plenty to
keep me warm, including my new Zippo handwarmer.

Be warned - those Zippoā€™s need to be kept warm or they go out.

I made the fatal mistake of leaving my pocket open containing my zippo, during yesterdays activation of GW/SW-015. Needless to say, when I most needed it, it was stone cold, although not as cold as my thermometer which registered a high for the day of minus 2.2C at the time. That and the 30mph wind soon removes any heat from bare hands!

It did perform well earlier on GW/SW-009 when the registered high was -6C, but I made sure it was never exposed to any cold air. Only use it inside a pocket or the like and keep it tucked up warm when not in use.

I also carry a few packs of disposable handwarmers. They donā€™t give out a lot of heat but theyā€™re better than nothing. I picked up 15 packs of them (30 warmers) when Go Outdoor were flogging them 3 packs for ƂĀ£1 (it was actually buy one get 2 free!)

Pete

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice. Are you on a summit tomorrow?

I may be asking you about a new charger for my lead acid batteries, think ine is not performing as it should!

Simon

In reply to G4ISJ:

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the advice, will keep it sheltered in my pocket!

Simon

In reply to 2E0CHV:

Hi Simon,

Yes, Iā€™ll be out in the morning. No too sure where yet.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Ok will keep n ear out for you.

Hopefully catch you tomorrow

In reply to G6TUH:

Even if the sun doesnā€™t cooperate, Mike, Iā€™ll be climbing in the South of Norway late April. Thatā€™ll be a proverbial piece of cake on any band, eh?
Elliott, K6ILM
Ear strainer