SOTA DX just in time

Thursday, May 17th. 2018.

I left work at 13h46 (local) 11h46 utc for lunch.
Parked the car in the street close to my QTH.
Bought a piece of bread like this imagen
Got in the appartment, was greeted by Lucho, our dog, to whom I corresponded with caress.
Put my starter in the microwave imagen
and in the mean time, I went to the shack.
Switched on my IC-706 and heard a well known SOTA chaser from Germany (DL1FU) just ending his SOTA QSO with… (no idea) but he called him Keith.
I listen carefully at his over and realized that weak, but I could copy the activator.
Without yet knowing who he was, I called and got picked up right away.
I received his signal report. I confirmed the reception and sent mine. Then 73 and TU.
Good QSO.
My laptop had fully bootted by that time and I could see on SOTAwatch that it was Keith @KR7RK activating a 10 pointer in Virginia (W4V/GC-001).
What a great news!!!
What a great DX just in time!!! ==> 6683 Km!
Got back to work after lunch with a smile in my face :slight_smile:
Thanks Keith for the activation and your great ears.
I chased you with 50 watts and my endfed wire in the balcony.

Guru

12 Likes

Hello Guru,

thank you for the QSO last week! I was so happy to put you into my log!

I was on a trip to the Dayton Hamvention and decided to do some exploring and activating while I was there. Before the event, I activated 3 Kentucky and 1 Virginia summit, and then after it was over I activated 3 Ohio and 2 Indiana summits. It was a lot of driving around (almost 2500km) but I had so much fun!

I was running my usual SOTA setup, a KX2 with KXPA100 amp at 90 watts, feeding an Aerial 51 OCF dipole with the apex up about 20 feet.

Here’s a couple of photos from W4V/GC-001. This summit is deep in the heart of America’s coal mining region.

Keith KR7RK

1 Like

So was I, Keith! You made my day!
This is the great reciprocity thing with ham radio and particularly with SOTA: both activators and chasers feel really pleased and greatful with the QSO. Even more when DX!

HPE CUAGN SN DR OM

Guru

1 Like