SOTA dogs on summits part 2 (Part 1)

All EU sota day. Juri on OE/ST-127, he found the edelweiss…
73 Martin

23 Likes

I finally managed to get the old girl up onto a summit in ZL, her first!

Other than the snow flurries she was very happy!

She is a movie star now too…

26 Likes

Hi Chris, great activation video with your dog. :partying_face: :beers:

cheers, Geoff vk3sq

3 Likes

@WC6J

Where’s Kipper?

1 Like

Hi Paul,
I just saw your message. Sadly Kipper passed two years ago. He had cancer but we treated him with with some alterative therapies which kept him going comfortably for about a year longer then my vet gave him. We even took him on a backpacking trip a month before he died. I still have his picture as the opening screen of my phone. He was a devoted friend. Thanks for remembering him.

22 Likes

@WC6J

Hi Jordan

Sorry to read that. On our only joint activation, he was energetic and fun to have around. He loved the snow.

Paul

3 Likes

Lots of nice pictures of SOTA Pups venturing on Activations, but let’s also see the SOTA Pups that stay closer to home to “help” Chasers work those QRP signals - here I am on holiday with my able assistants Embla and Reyna.
Etienne-K7ATN

14 Likes

Hi Folks
I’m Niocky and I’m really new in SOTA program but I like it too much !

25 Likes

How lovely that you should now be accompanied by Niocky! He really looks keen!

73, Sylvia & Kimo

5 Likes

She needed a little help to pose at the seat on the way up G/TW-002, but by the time she’d made it to the top (via a mud wallow :face_with_raised_eyebrow:) she was ready to let me play radio

18 Likes

Niocky looks like a Belgian Malinois. Our Malinois, Liah (now sadly SK) was an avid hiker willing to follow – or lead – us up anything. Hope Niocky is an equally enthusiastic companion!

3 Likes

Alas, Dogs on Summits is a bit of a touchy subject in EI, since you are almost certainly on private farm land at the good will of the owner. Sheep farmers will generally not tolerate dogs (even on a lead) - best to leave Fido at home. This is type of sign (on EI/IW-018 Binn Bhriocain) is becoming more common…

4 Likes

That’s a shame, good things often get spoilt by idiots. Presumably by the tone of that notice it also includes registered assistance dogs. I realise we are a bit of an unusual case, but here’s my wife with her guide dog on the Black Mountain GW/SW-041 in July, on my first activation:

[bloody Brexit means that we will have to spend some time planning before being able to visit EI or GI as they haven’t made any provision for registered assistance dogs crossing the Irish Sea. Even though the dogs have 6 monthly vet inspections, they still have to go through all the paperwork and injections as pet dogs. This effectively means blind guide dog owners no longer can travel freely even within the UK :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:] Sorry for the rant!

Jonathan

15 Likes

Cool: My Golden is 90lbs. I tried carrying him but it was a lost cause. 73
Richard - N6PKT … Super photos.

2 Likes

“Pamacs” the Puli, my SOTA dog, he is always with me.

73 Attila W7AMR

16 Likes

Wow, a Rastafarian dog. I guess you keep it away from mud! But they have a good reputation, a nice pooch even if it does look like someone knitted it. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

He is a Hungarian sheep dog (he was born in Hungary 7 years ago), and very protective, good guard dog also…
He loves to go to the mountains.

3 Likes

yes Scott,
he is exactly the same. I believe he is even more than a hiking companion. as soon as I’m stationary for the radio, no one comes near me. he stands guard.

3 Likes

Super - especially on busy summits. :+1:

73 Armin

2 Likes

Here’s cousin Angus. He’s a little bit annoyed for some reason or another.
His favourite things are

1. Other peoples food
  2. His food
  3. Cliff edges, the more dangerous the better
  4. Eating snow (fuzzy water) and ice (crunch water)

21 Likes