SOTA dogs on summits part 2 (Part 1)

As this nice topic was closed I’d like to continue here.

Vinnie on OE/ST-127 Sep 14 2020
Remarkably suitable for mountains. If she gets tired I can carry her. But it was not necessary.

73 Martin

31 Likes

He is not a dog but seems like a dog, He is “Norit”, born 1th may, his mother doesn’t want and it and we are feeding him with a bottle milk.

He is a lamb (ram). You can see in the pics in the summit of Caldoveiro EA1/AT-263 (yesterday I activated with Javi EA2GM).

Probably next sota we go with It.

34 Likes

37 Likes

That’s nice - a mountain sheep :sheep:

73 Armin

6 Likes

New SOTA puppy in training. She is a 4 month old tri-color Border Collie mix and has the energy of a 1000 nuclear bombs, lol. I haven’t had this little sleep since college. She will make an excellent hiking trail dog.
Imgur

33 Likes

Wow, Stuart, you are going to have fun with her for sure!! Can she bark CQ?

5 Likes

Zoë has a knack for locating summit registers (and getting tangled in 26g antenna wire)…

19 Likes

Here is Reyna on Prune Hill (W7W/LC-164) a few weeks ago.
She is a white German Shepard and can settle down after a bit.
Etienne-K7ATN

19 Likes

Hi Jon,
lovely picture with Norit, the “mountain sheep”.

I hope you will enjoy with his companion many times and perhaps can help carrying the radio for you!
73 Ignacio

5 Likes

Still working on it!

2 Likes

Border Collies are very smart dogs. I bet she could pass the license test!

4 Likes

Mo (Moab) happily carries my batteries.

17 Likes

Jon

What are you going to do with him when he gets a little older? Does he walk with you on a lead, or does he just follow you? Does he come when you call him?

David

1 Like

Dogs are great pets and companions, but here in the USA you need to check first if you can have a dog with you on a trail in some national parks. I know dogs are not allowed on trails in Grand Teton NP and I saw a park ranger write a violation ticket to a hiker that had two dogs on the trail. It’s a problem in some parks due to the dogs interacting possibly with wildlife particularly a bear. It was a pretty heavy fine. The ranger spotted the hiker in the distance and he saw her and turned around and ran the other way. Unfortunately for him, via radio there was another ranger at the trailhead that met him and wrote the ticket. The sign there clearly stated no dogs on the trail.

3 Likes

Hi,
when he grows up must go to the field with the anothers sheeps. He follows me and my wife, because we are his “parents”, no need lead , only walk is the direccion and he always follows us.
The lamb doesn´t ear indications or “calling” by his name, is not a domestic animal, only goes with me for protect and food, hihi.

4 Likes

Great point, I also recommend that we check first it dogs are allowed and we also have the appropriate gears/water/food for them as well.

2 Likes

This is my SOTA dog and hiking buddy Mooch.

22 Likes

It was cold on the summit.

19 Likes

My experience has been that in US national parks, dogs are not allowed on any trails except one or two short trails near the parking lots or visitors centers, and certainly not on backcountry trails. National monuments, which also are administered by the National Park Sevice, may be more liberal. Depends on the particular park/monument.

1 Like

Once again.
Juri on his 2nd summit - strong enough to pull me up if I’m getting tired - and senior op Vinnie on this summit for the 2nd time. OE/NO-106 tu for chasig!
73 Martin

22 Likes