SOTA-contest will not happen

I make very good bread, pizza and not to forget my wicked chocolate cake…

3 Likes

I vote NO.

However…

I personally enjoy operating during a contest from a SOTA summit. This Saturday I plan on activating a SOTA summit during the ARRL January VHF Contest as a QRP Portable entry. I will only operate for about four hours from the summit, and I will include an HF activation from the summit as I do on every SOTA summit I visit.

This is a good way to introduce SOTA to the local hams. I typically make fewer than 50 contacts in these low key VHF contests, but a large number of the Arizona SOTA ops have come up from the VHF ranks.

Anyhow if contests and SOTA float your boat then doing both, without having an actual SOTA contest, can be done at the same time.

c u from the hills

Pete
WA7JTM
W7A Arizona

1 Like

My vote is NO. "…SOTA is not inherently competitive…"
SOTA pile-ups are frenetic enough for this activator; why make them a zoo?

Best, Ken

Last weekend there was a VHF/UHF contest across Australia. VK1DA, VK1RX, VK1AD and myself all got up on different SOTA peaks and participated in the contest while also claiming it as a SOTA activity. There are plenty of contests already out there. Why not join in from a SOTA peak?

Cheers,
Gerard - VK2IO

Henning – Thank you for taking the time to publish an interesting suggestion. de K7ZOO

1 Like