SOTA Christmas Quiz 2010

Sorry Brian, not budging! In any case, the answer is the same, just called something else. What would you like to call it? (In the context of the question that was asked). Australasia? Australia and Papua New Guniea? Australia, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand and Pacific Islands?

Oceania - Wikipedia is an interesting read. Specifically the extract “Amateur radio follows the geographic rather than geopolitical boundaries of Oceania. The Worked All Continents award includes all of Indonesia and the Philippines in Oceania, though it places Easter Island with Chile and makes some other minor changes”.

Maybe I need my wrist slapping for using the word “continent” without degree level geology to authorise it, but I kind of guess you really know what I was asking in the question!

Jimmy will not win everything today. Try as he might (and has done), he will not beat this for the day’s Pedantry Award. Sleep easy Brian, it is safely yours!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
7) Let’s try 2004-08-14, G/SP-009

Richard - that is nothing short of pathetic. I immediately apologise to my MT colleague Brian and relieve him of his pedantry award.

Tom M1EYP

No, you’ll have to go further back Martyn!

In reply to M1EYP:

16/2/03 long mountain beacon ring

1. 16/02/2003 GW/MW-026

Jimmy M3EYP

Unlucky Jimmy - but Steve gets it. Fastest Finger First.

In reply to M1EYP:

No, you’ll have to go further back Martyn!

Can you clarify whether “child” has to be under 18 or do you count parent and adult offspring?

In reply to M1MAJ:

If there’s an earlier one, then it is the answer, regardess of how old the child is. I may have taken my eye off the ball with that one!

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:

If you ignore geology, Tom, it can go back to what I (and probably you) learned in School, there were seven continents, and neither Hawaii nor Micronesia were part of Australia - but have it your own way, I’m a congenital picture-straightener!

HC

Brian G8ADD

1. M3EYP (13)
  2. G3CWI (9)
    3=) LA1TPA, M1MAJ (4)
    5=) M6HBS, OK9HAG (3)
    7=) G3OHC, G4OWG, G0AZS, M0DFA, G8ADD, MM3WJZ (2)
    13=) G0VOF, G6WRW, M0RCP, MM0TAI, HL4/W2VLA, F6ENO, G1INK (1)

Pedants’ Corner:

1. G3CWI
  2. G8ADD
  3. M3EYP

Just questions 21 and 50 remaining unsolved. Hmmm, how do I make this quiz harder for next time?

133 posts in less than 18 hours - at least everyone’s enjoyed it.

Tom M1EYP

If we are being pedantic about some of these answers then I must cast some doubt over my answer to question 8.

The question asked about the most circular hill. My answer is for the most circular activation zone. I fear that the question has not been answered properly as, although the two conditions are not mutually exclusive, I have only accounted for one aspect of circularity.

However I would like to ask the quiz master whether he can accurately answer this question!

ALSO… how is he defining a “hill” versus a “mountain”? Are we expected to examine different types of topographical features in this question without actually knowing what he is looking for?

It’s all rather ambiguous… :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

ALSO… how is he defining a “hill” versus a
“mountain”?

It’s a hard one. In Chile the following definitions applied:

Hill: a prominent feature up to 2000m asl
Half-mountain: 2000-4500m
Mountain: 4500m+

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to M1EYP:

how do I make this quiz harder for next time?

Harder, I don’t know but I think a selection of questions should be devised and reserved for our brothers across the pond who are waking up to find they slept through the fun.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

The quiz has certainly made a day stuck at home with a heavy cold rather better than expected. Thanks Tom!

Richard
G3CWI

Difficult one Andy. I don’t know too much about hills and walking trails in North America, nor do I join in with their sleep patterns. Maybe it would be better if they devised their own quiz?

Come to think of it, every member of the SOTAwatch reflector has the opportunity to devise and set a quiz, so maybe we can have a few more? I can’t think of what else to ask, and I would quite like to participate in one as a competitor.

Thanks for the nice comment Richard, appreciated.

And just for you Marc:

Pedants’ Corner:

1. G3CWI
  2. G0AZS
  3. G8ADD
  4. M3EYP

Tom M1EYP (still waiting for 2 answers…)

In reply to M1EYP:
50) b

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M1EYP:

Can I second Richard, I, too, have a streaming cold - and I’m tiling the bathroom but play occasional hookey to see how the quiz is progressing!

(Note to self: only third in pedants corner - MUST TRY HARDER NEXT TIME!)

HC

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:
50) c

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:
Come on someone else have a go (we know its not a cos Richard put that)
Great quiz Tom are you doing one for New Year?

Roger G4OWG