SOTA Christmas Quiz 2010

In reply to M3EYP:

True, Jimmy, this computer is coming to the end of its useful life with keys sometimes not working, but I should have spotted that!

HC

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:
23) GM/SI-174 Conostom or GM/SI-206 Bienn Bhreac ?

Graham G3OHC

1. 4
  1. a)

Martyn and Richard (with first answer) both correct, Graham not so (see Martyn’s answer). CWI wrong with magazine question.

1. M3EYP (13)
  2. G3CWI (9)
  3. LA1TPA (4)
    4=) M6HBS, OK9HAG, M1MAJ (3)
    6=) G3OHC, G4OWG, G0AZS, M0DFA, G8ADD, MM3WJZ (2)
    13=) G0VOF, G6WRW, M0RCP, MM0TAI, HL4/W2VLA, F6ENO (1)

In reply to M1EYP:

Just 4 out of 57 answers remaining. You lot have solved it much more quickly than I compiled it! Jimmy M3EYP needs one more to ensure claiming this year’s crown in his own right, but Richard G3CWI must take all remaining four answers to force a tie.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
23) The following summits are tied for this honour with only 1 QSO
recorded for each: GM/SI-068 GM/SI-069 GM/SI-070 GM/SS-279 GM/WS-107

Activated, but not qualified.

GM/SI-069 and GM/SI-070 have not been activated yet.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I must challenge the answer for number 19. Technically, Oceania is not a continent as it consists mainly of a number of plates which are oceanic in nature rather than continental. Australia+PNG, however, is a true continent and a seperate plate.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

1. Sorry - a corrected answer. It’s only a 3-way tie: GM/SI-068 GM/SS-279 and GM/WS-107. The other two have no QSOs.

(Can I offer bonus points to anybody who can explain how I made the mistake?)

In reply to M1EYP:

Firstly, Alain F6ENO was correct with 45) 2. I markedly this wrongly
earlier on. (So Alain gets the point for this one, not Marc G0AZS -
sorry!). My understanding was the same as Martyn’s - ie that it
wouldn’t have made any difference, but if Marc says it’s 2, then it’s
2!

Yes Tom, I think that Marc and I did the same job, using SRTM datas from the NASA and Landserf soft. We found 4 P100 summits in Malta and Gozo, i.e. 2 more summits than with P150

73 Alain F6ENO

And congratulations to all ! I was unable to find more than one answer…:wink:

I am sure you are right Brian, but I will stick to the generally accepted administrative names and definitions of the continents for the purposes of that question. I could always say that the correct answer is “What is coloured in green on the Radio Amateur’s world map”.

I am sorry Brian, I cannot uphold your challenge.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
32) 2002-05-09

21a. Coast to Coast Path

21b. Loch Etchachan

21c. Watkin Path

21d. Thornthwaite Crag

21e. Hindscarth Edge and Littledale Edge

In reply to M1EYP:
7) It seems too obvious, but I’ll take a stab at 2005-10-02, GW/NW-040.

In reply to M1EYP:

Tom, can you explain the answer to 29 as W5 and not W7?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Tom, can you explain the answer to 29 as W5 and not W7?

He did. W7 is five separate associations, each with fewer regions than the single association which is W5. See the ARMs.

In reply to M1MAJ:

9th May 2002 is correct. You could have activated Aconbury Hill as either CE-006 or WB-024 on that day, according to the ARM. Nobody did, so it is hardly a problem, but perhaps one of the Valid To/Valid From dates needs shifting in the ARM for tidiness?

Yes, Jimmy’s debut activation is indeed far too obvious Martyn. We were by no means the first to do it!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

If, for administrative reasons, a cat was called a dog, would it in actual fact be a dog? By the only test that gives an unambiguous result, if you tried to breed a cat with a dog, there would be no issue, they are different species. Administrators do strange things, but continental crust and oceanic crust are as different as a cat and a dog. Oh, and my Amateur Radio World map shows the area in several different colours! :wink:

HC

Brian G8ADD

Very good Jimmy!

When I said “What have they got in common?”, I didn’t mean which part of each traverse is common to both summits!

I meant, what have all the routes got in common with each other?

In reply to M1EYP:

I meant, what have all the routes got in common with each other?

None of them are in Antarctica or Oceania.

Richard
G3CWI