Sota china?

Brrrr … sri not for me !!!

http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/vinlin27d.htm

73 Luc ON6DSL

In reply to ON6DSL:

Hi Luc,
before you go to China, feel free to activate some DM/HE-summits first :wink:

Vy73 Fritz DL4FDM,HB9CSA (Regional-Mgr DM/HE…hi)

In reply to DL4FDM:
Or Norway Preikestolen - The Pulpit Rock, Norway - YouTube i did send a file to Mads who knows about this place. I couldnt go anywhere it myself i even find looking at photos and videos difficult. Sean M0GIA

Thanks for the Vertigo trips chaps! Some amazing pictures showing places I would be reluctant to go. I’ll just settle for being pleased I managed to walk across the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct near Llangollen in North Wales last Sunday without any muscular twinges or cramps in my stomach.

The edge of Trum y Ddsygl GW/NW-024 did cause some feelings yesterday, but I still managed to operate 15 metres from the edge.

Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG: Magnificent piece of engineering, probably be difficult to build something similar even today. I’ve been with people who walked down into the valley and up the other side rather than crossing the aqueduct.

Dave, G6DTN/M0DFA

In reply to G4OIG:

The German climb is essentially a ladder, all you need is stamina and a good head for heights.

Now for something a little closer to home, how about the summits of the Black Cuillin of Skye? Serious scrambles on amazingly rough rocky terrain, and darned little space for an antenna when you get there! I think they would seriously tax if not completely repel the average activator…and note that a 12-year old kid got seriously injured by a falling rock there yesterday…I’ve smelled the sulphur fumes of rockfall there myself, it concentrates the mind wonderfully!

Just as a taster, how about this view of Sgurr Alastair, which has a “Tourist Route” that has probably scared the pants off many a tourist!

September would be a good month to try this one…

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4OIG:
Hi Gerald
Well done on walking across Pontcysyllte Aqueduct ! - I’m afraid when I tried to do it I had a panic attack 100 yards or so in and had to be helped back off clutching the handrail.
Similarly on a rope bridge in New Zealand - I don’t seem to learn !!

Many thanks for the QSO’s yesterday BTW, good to make it on 70cm

Graham G3OHC

In reply to G8ADD:

The German climb is essentially a ladder, all you need is stamina and
a good head for heights.

Head for heights - is there such a thing? The one thing that I have come to realise over the years Brian is that vertigo is totally illogical, the manifestation of it that is. I have had absolutely no problem ascending any summits, not even Glyder Fawr GW/NW-003 via Y Gribin. Perhaps this is down to the inherent trust I have built up over the years as a result of my rock climbing experience. On the other hand I have generally had problems in / on high buildings - could this be an Architect not trusting his fellow professionals? Who knows?

Exactly why I had no issues crossing Telford’s marvellous engineering achievement, I don’t know. One of our party experienced what Graham did and only managed 30 metres before having to return.

As for the Cuillins, been there, done that and got the tee-shirt. I would however like the opportunity to go back with 10kg on my back and sit on those tops. I seem to recall that I didn’t stay long last time, presumably to avoid irrational fear setting in! Would this be long enough for an activation?

and note that a 12-year old kid got seriously injured by a falling rock there yesterday…

One of our party managed an impromptu 300m scree run, partly on his backside and survived with nothing more than scratches, damaged clothing and a loss of pride.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to G8ADD:

Head for heights - is there such a thing? The one thing that I have
come to realise over the years Brian is that vertigo is totally
illogical, the manifestation of it that is. I have had absolutely no
problem ascending any summits, not even Glyder Fawr GW/NW-003 via Y
Gribin. Perhaps this is down to the inherent trust I have built up
over the years as a result of my rock climbing experience. On the
other hand I have generally had problems in / on high buildings -
could this be an Architect not trusting his fellow professionals? Who
knows?

73, Gerald

Funnily enough, I feel the same way. I don’t rock climb now, I feel at my age that would be pushing my luck too hard, but from the first time I set hand to rock and started up I felt totally at home and safe, but I hate ladders - and my job required me to test concrete on large structures, mainly elevated motorways, and I just did not ever feel safe. I hate looking out of windows on high buildings and loathe skylifts but I could tiptoe up icefalls on crampons and two axes and feel joyful. Nowt as queer as folk, they say, and it must be true!

I think it would be quite a rush to go back to the Cuillin with something better than the FT290RI that I carried fruitlessly there once! Perhaps when the sunspots are ackling again and I can try an end-fed dipole on 15 metres…

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I do not know too much about rock climbing, but in Alps somebody usually has a 8 mm cord (about 40 - 45 g/m). This can be used to secure delicate passages. It could also happen that somebody starts suddenly feels unsafe and needs the cord to be able to continue. This could happen also to good climbers in case of injury or sudden illness. As long as everything goes fine and nobody feels his/her life threatened, I think nobody has vertigo.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to G8ADD:

Yes, the Black Cuillin is just the ticket! Hope to get back up there again before too long.

I’ve put a photo taken on one of them - Sgurr Nan Gillean - on Flickr at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gm8oti/3856487532/

OK, it’s old (scanned from a 35mm slide) when I was but a young lad but it does show just how little space there is up there for aerials.

Most of the Black Cuillin is OK for “walking” - i.e. you can do most summits without a rope. It’s not for the inexperienced though, especially navigationally - if the cloud comes down you need to know how to get off safely.

John GM8OTI