SOTA and GMA

You can do a great performance with just these small instruments (summits). My four OK/VY SOTA and OL/VY GMA summits (my QTH Nové Město na Moravě):

SOTA:

260 km car tourism, 150 km by train

OK/VY-001: Devět skal: Distance covered by walking: 4 km**, Total ascent: 72m
OK/VY-002: Javořice: 11 km, 237 m
OK/VY-023: Melechov: 12 km, 337 m
OK/VY-009: Horní les: 4 km***, 110 m

** or 35 km without car, a bit too far to walk, mountain bike needed
*** or 65 km without car, a bit too far to go by bike

GMA:

0 km: no car needed, 0 km: no public transport needed

OL/VY-016: Kamenice: Distance covered by walking or biking: 26 km, Total ascent: 370 m
OL/VY-019: Sólo: 24 km, 322 m
OL/VY-107: Vávrova skála: 13 km, 201 m
OL/VY-231: Vejdoch: 14 km, 138 m

Other GMA positives: Less overcrowded long lonely walks, more endorphins are secreted. No road stress.

1 Like

That’s very nice. But this is the SOTA reflector. Not sure why you’re so keen to promote GMA here. We know about GMA. It is a different awards scheme with different rules. You can do GMA if you wish, nothing to stop you. But the usual etiquette is to discuss GMA on the GMA reflector and SOTA on the SOTA reflector.

Thank you for your understanding.

1 Like

Surely it must be time to move on Karel! I could go through the same exercise as you did and quote similar GMA/HEMA summits that are reachable from my home QTH in Yorkshire by bike or on foot. I’ve activated a few of them myself some years ago - but those schemes don’t provide the enthusiasm for me that SOTA does. The Czech Republic still has an attractive list of easy to reach summits and as soon as it becomes safe to travel I will be returning to your country for more OK SOTA.

73 Phil G4OBK

2 Likes

Because of SOTA OK reorganization topic is still coming back I would like to say short true:
who was activated SOTA OK before August 1st still activates it nowadays,
who was not activated SOTA OK before August 1st keeps talking to show us all how wrong was change made on August 1st.

I am tired to listen it …

Welcome to chase me (OK8MA) on SOTA OK next weekend :wink:

73, Jarek

2 Likes

Sorry, this was no ‘promotion’ at all. I like both schemes. I have no preferences in this regard.

Many subconsciously despise the GMA because of its low difficulty, not knowing that this is far from true. So I thought it would be interesting to compare it to my own experience.

I didn’t mean anything wrong by demonstrating it.

73 Karel

1 Like

Phil, I am also loyal to the SOTA. Fortunately, the GMA includes it.

The Czech Republic is a tourist friendly country and I participate in those programs (GMA, HEMA, SOTA, taken alphabetically) because of our beautiful landscape.

SOTA encourages portable radio operation in mountainous areas and the GMA does the same. I do the same.

I don’t do it for diplomas or awards, that’s irrelevant to me.

Thus, logically, to my way of thinking, there should be synergy between them.

73 Karel OK2BWB

2 Likes

Indeed, many SOTA activators activate the same summit many times in the same year without receiving any points whatsoever. SOTA is what you make it, as indeed is GMA. I hope you find the right one for you.
Cheers
Matt

3 Likes