SOTA activation near Harrogate North Yorks

Hi All
I have a meeting in Harrogate on Monday. Can anybody recommend a Sota peak close by please? I should be finished by 1.00pm.

Thanks

Tim
G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:

Depends upon what you mean by close by. Probably the quickest by road
and walking-wise would be Sharp Haw G/NP-029 near Skipton.

Bishop Wilton Wold G/TW-004 is another possibility but strictly speaking is further from Harrogate.

Rick M0RCP

In reply to M0RCP:

In reply to G4YTD:

Depends upon what you mean by close by. Probably the quickest by road
and walking-wise would be Sharp Haw G/NP-029 near Skipton.

Or even Rombalds Moor G/NP-028 depending on which direction you are
heading. If you think of doing this one and you have a TomTom or
similar, do not let it try to take you there from the Ilkley side.
For some reason it thinks there is a ‘car useable’ road that goes
right to the top from Ilkley…there is’nt. I always approach from
the Silsden direction.

Mike G4BLH

In reply to G4BLH:
Thanks all. I live pretty close to Garrowby and activated it a few months ago. Rombalds moor was wet and foggy!! and yes, the car sat Nav was making some strange noises on the approach, I went to the car park near the mast from the Bradford side (http://www.g4ytd.co.uk/HTML_files/sota_reports/Rombalds%20Moor.htm )Not tried NP-028, so will see how time/wx go’s and give it a try.
Thanks for the advice.
Tim
G4YTD

Long before SOTA, and indeed amateur radio, I tried to drive to a gig in Ilkley that way, which was shown as a proper road in the fancy Reader’s Digest road atlas my mum had recently bought me as a present. I had to retreat and go all the way round, resulting in being late and an admonishment from the bandleader.

More recently, when I have had a gig in Bradford or Keighley, I have set up my gear at the venue, activated NP-028, returned to the venue, put my penguin suit on and done the gig.

Unfortunately, I appear to have gotten out of the habit of SOTA activating on the way to work, whether gigging or teaching. Mind you, that’s probably a good thing in this weather.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I have in the past been aware of cars passing through the gate on NP-029. Not sure as to the locks on it, if there are any. Perhaps someone has information on this? The road down the Ilkley side is probably best not attempted in anything but a 4x4.

Personally I never drive to the top of Ilkley Moor preferring to walk either from Cow and Calf rocks or up from Ilkley. If one chooses the latter as a starting point then one has the option of bathing at Ilkley’s very own spa White wells - if you are brave enough. You can also get a certificate to prove it!

Rick M0RCP

In reply to M0RCP:
Hi Rick & Tom.The road down to Ilkley from Rombalds has had a lot of repairs done to it and is passable by car although drive slowly over the drains that have been put across the road in several places.I have been down recently in a Land Rover and a friend of mine goes regularly to Keighley from Ilkley by car.ATB Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G4YTD:
Cracoe Fell G/NP-032 and gain some winter bonus :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG