SOTA Activation 1000

I have just noticed that missing from this thread is the activation report for my 1000th activation! A rather glaring omission, so here goes…

Sunday 5th September 2010 would be the day when I would undertake a SOTA activation for the 1000th time. This would also coincide with the 5th and final 2m Backpackers Contest of the year. It would have been obvious to select my favourite and modal summit of The Cloud G/SP-015 for the 1000th, but it is a busy and popular spot, especially at weekends. Hence I never really relish the thought of setting up several antennas, a tent and being there for most of a Sunday.

Gun G/SP-013 is much quieter, and with more options to set things up out of other peoples’ way. It is also much less likely to be visited by a warden or ranger. Therefore this was the choice, and I drove out there just before 6am on the Sunday morning.

Setting up took a good while as I erected a 2 man tent, plus antennas in rather strong wind. I was reluctant to seek natural shelter due to the 2m contest later, so I sited myself in a large area of heather right at the top.

A tent, a flask, an FT-817, three poles, six aerials and all the other usual stuff made for a heavy pack, and the short easy walk to the summit was therefore well in order. I set up the dipoles for 80m, 60m, 40m and 30m all from the same pole, with the ends of the 80m and 60m legs all supported above ground by walking poles - yes, I took four with me! The 20m vertical-groundplane “Magic Moggy” - or MM20 - was set on the second pole, while the 2m SOTA Beam, horizontally polarised, sat on the third.

I was finally QRV at 0727 UTC, and first in the logbook on 80m CW was Marc G0AZS. He headed up a run of 10 QSOs on 3.557MHz CW, followed by a single contact on 80m SSB. Then it was over to 40m CW, where 11 chasers were worked. Onto 60m SSB, it was 7 G stations worked, followed by a G and a GM on 60m CW. 13 QSOs on 30m CW, 8 on 40m CW (including S2S with DL1DVE/P on Bieleboh DM/SX-036), 3 on 80m SSB, 5 on 80m CW and one more on 5MHz SSB took me up to noon local, 61 QSOs in the bag, and time for the Backpackers.

This proved to be a slow Backpackers session, with just 56 contacts made, although distance points were quite good with plenty into JO01, JO02 and France. S2S in the contest included Rob G4RQJ/P on Dodd Fell Hill G/NP-016, the Studdart family (Steve G7AAV/P, Helen G7AAU/P, Caroline 2E0YLO/P and Adam 2E0DPI/P) on The Cloud G/SP-015, Ron GW4EVX/P on Moel y Gamelin GW/NW-042 and Walt GW3NYY/P on Mynydd Eppynt GW/SW-018.

After 4pm local, I went onto 20m, but found the band uncharacteristically quiet. Just 21 stations were worked on 20m CW, including USA and Canada, supplemented by 4 on 60m SSB, one on 60m CW, one on 30m CW and 6 on 2m FM. By now, Jimmy M3EYP/P had joined me on the summit, along with his brother Liam and my wife Marianne. A 1000th activation picnic and wine was enjoyed as the four of us crammed into the two man tent, before Marianne and Liam made a sharp exit.

Jimmy remained, and took occasional turns in the 2m SSB Backpackers. Steve, Helen and family arrived on summit to join the celebrations, and the four of them all qualified the summit, as they had done on The Cloud earlier. It was great to see them.

As I wound down on HF, Jimmy showed me how it was done, making about 30 contacts on 2m FM in very short order. I was green with envy and couldn’t quite fathom how he was so comprehensively out-QSOing me, even though I was on the normally prolific 20m CW!

I was QRT after my 150th QSO at 1800z, and Jimmy and I set about an hour’s packing up duties. This was the most QSOs I had ever made in a single activation, but I definitely haven’t got the best formula yet! I am already developing thoughts and ideas about choices of summit, bands and preparations for another such activation in the future.

Many thanks to everyone who worked me on my 1000th SOTA activation.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Well done Tom but just to set the record straight, for a change, I was not on Foel Fenlli but Moel y Gamelin, GW/NW-042!

Best wishes,

Ron, GW4EVX

In reply to GW4EVX:

That’s what it says in my logbook as well Ron, sorry for the creative journalism. Report above amended appropriately.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I was wondering were the activation report was :wink:

It was very nice to work you on Activation 1000 Tom, & especially nice to do it on 80m CW. You were a good signal that early in the morning & very easy copy, & for once I don’t think I had to send eeeeeeee. Hi!

After my other Sunday morning committments I did listen for you in the backpackers contest but only briefly managed to hear you signing with another station, but not on your frequency, so for once I didn’t work you in the contest unfortunately. While tuning round 2m I too heard several French stations at very good signal levels so there was definitely a lift on, I’m glad you managed to take advantage of it.

G/SP-013 Gun, despite being higher than your usual haunt, is much more difficult from here (Blackburn) on VHF & your signal from Gun was way down on what I would expect from G/SP-015 The Cloud, but certainly good enough to work you, if I had found you on your own QRG :wink:

Glad you had a good day out & congratulations on Activation 1000 :slight_smile:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

I returned to The Cloud G/SP-015 on the evening of Tuesday 14th September 2010 for activation #1003 combined with the 70cm activity contest. Although several periods of the night were calm and dry, others had gales and heavy rain. Fortunately, I was inside my bothy bag for these, keeping warm and dry at the expense of full ability to rotate my beam!

The end result was 43 QSOs on 70cm SSB. Nothing was worked, despite several tries, on FM, while a CW contact with G0DJA could not be completed due to QSB. The same happened with Bryn G4DEZ, so the regular multiplier from JO03 was missing.

So around ten contacts down on what I might hope for, about five multipliers down on the norm and no DX - not even GM or EI in the log. But you know what? I enjoyed my evening’s hilltop portable amateur radio, and that is what it is all about.

Thanks to all stations that worked me, and apologies for the lack of an alert, which I think I forgot to do.

73, Tom M1EYP