after reading this post http://www.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=5417 I thought that SOTA members should have some clarifications about what is happening in Italy about SOTA. I don’t want to bore anyone and I’ll try to point out the facts in the more clear and short way.
- SOTA Italia (hereafter S.I.) program existed in Italy for 10 years, it was’t recognized by SOTA International (hereafter S.Int.) but all the aspects of the program (referencing system, rules etc) were created following S.Int. guidelines in order to become (one day) part of S.Int. program.
- A lot of activations were made in these years and a lot of activators and chasers were involved in the S.I. program, as you can imagine many ham operators in Italy started to become familiar with S.I. summit references and started to enjoy the SOTA programme.
- At the end of 2010 the S.I. references were more than 800.
- In the last months of 2010 IW1ARE current S.Int. manager for Italy decided to propose Italy as a member of S.Int., this decision was taken without consulting S.I. management team witch was totally unaware of what was happening. Moreover, the summits list for S.Int. program was prepared (I guess) simply cut & pasting a part of the S.I. summits list and changing the reference number…
- This is the tricky part: because of this mess now the same summit in Italy has 2 different references, let’s say mount A is referenced as I/RG-1 in S.I. and I/RG-20 in S.Int. this is crazy, don’t you think?
- This is (I promise) the last point. Since sota operators in Italy are used to use S.I. reference system (it is the same they used for 10 years, and it was (indeed) the only one for 10 years), some misunderstandings can happen, for this reason, chasers, please be patient and make sure the italian activator is aware of the new referencing system.
As activator I’m happy that Italy is now part of international programme and I really hope that Carlo IW1ARE can fix this bizarre referencing system harmonizing it to S.I. one.
I hope to meet all of you in SOTA very soon!
de IZ1KSW Gabriele