Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

SMP patching

Due to the never-ending stream of Spectre/Meltdown issues and the overnight exploit that was revealed, I will need to patch the SMP server. While doing this, I’m going to take the opportunity to perform a major version upgrade of the underlying OS as well. I will kick this off shortly to eliminate outages during the major usage times for Europe and NA. I expect this to take about 1 hour, starting around 0400 UTC.

All done. We have normality. Anything you still can’t cope with is therefore your own problem.

and in the process, I’ve broken the backend for newsotadata. Bear with me, there’s a reason it’s in Beta

EDIT: should be fixed now.

Hi Andrew
Since this morning on SMP can’t put any call on Activations mapping page in “Enter activator callsign:”. I’m logged and got “no callsign found” at the start !
73 Eric F5JKK

Yep, there’s a few little bugs I need to iron out. In short, the dump from the main sota database is now being handled more strictly with the latest patching, so I need to un-strictify it.

Hello Andrew,

It looks like the brand new feature of Elevation profiles in the " Range mapping page" of SMP is gone.

Could you please try to reactivate that feature.

Very much appreciated.
73 Joe

It actually hasn’t worked for months and Rob and I had had no complaints so we removed the feature a day or two back as it requires a lot of storage. I imagine the volume the data was on is now toast, so it may take some time to restore

The new version was working fine just two weeks ago.
Thanks for looking into it.

73 Joe

Not sure if this is the place to put it, but the map doesnt seem to be working for me tonight. I went to my association, W4G, and get a window saying there are no records to show. It was working fine earlier today.

Well actually, I noticed that often when you MouseOver one of the mountains on the map, it didnt give you the option to click it, That was a minor inconvenience. Now I see nothing.

Thanks so much for keeping this tool going. It is awesome.

-Steve
W2SWA

Yep, this is my bad. I completely misread an email from Rob and cast aspersions on the operation of SMP. The iotamaps server was hosting the data and that server is moving, requiring us to re-evaluate the usage of the tool

Is there anywhere an online zoomable map showing all the SOTA summits? Just something simple that does not require areas to be selected?

Not “just something simple”, but if you have a fast processor, enough memory and patience, you can try “ALL SOTA summits shown on Google Earth” from http://www.on6zq.be/w/index.php/SOTA/SOTA

When the full list is loaded, do not try to move the globe yet, but deselect “ALL” from the left menu and only re-select the Associations you want to see.

You can of course also select individual Associations .kml files that load much faster.

Perfect thanks. In reality I don’t need “all” but just one or two associations. The SMP interface makes the selection rather tedious.