Next month, my wife and I are going to try a little SOTA adventure in the Smokies. The plan is to take an early morning shuttle from Cosby campground to Newfound Gap trailhead and then trot back to Cosby via the AT. Along the way I’ll try to activate these mountains (all 10pts):
Mount Kephart W4T/SU-006
Laurel Top W4T/SU-007
Mount Chapman W4T/SU-004
Mount Guyot W4T/SU-002
Cammerer Ridge W4T/SU-012
Because we’re slow and there’s only so much daylight, Guyot and Cammerer Ridge are going to be dependent on our cdx and the time. If we do it all, the total route will be ~31mi with 9000ft of elevation gain.
If we’re pressed for time, we’ll skip Guyot (the bushwack takes as long as an activation). If we’re too whooped, we’ll do Guyot and skip Cammerer, shaving off a few miles. If we’re short on time and whooped we’ll just whine to ourselves and carry on.
I figure that I have about 30 total minutes at each summit, so that is 25min QRV. Rather than divide that time amongst bands, I am considering working one band per stop: 40, 30, 20, 40, 30. I can usually get everyone on one band logged in under 30min.
My questions for the group:
- Does the one band per summit sound reasonable/good?
- Locals, last time I was there I got zero bites using 2m simplex. Is it worth even bringing the HT? I would call cq on 2m at every summit while setting up if I thought someone would be monitoring the calling freq.
- We’ll be on the trail about 45 min before sunrise. That will put out first stop at 7:30amEST (1130z) or so, which is early. I have great faith in chasers, but given the closeness to the east coast, lots of my 40m signal is going to be warming the Atlantic Ocean. If anyone is reasonably sure you’ll be listening, could you PM me? If nothing else it would be nice to know there may be someone out there.
- I plan to use the placeholder alert “W4T/SU-???” with S-2 S+14 and then list the summit refs in the alert details. My question is how the chasers would like the ref sent. Say every two QSOs, let the pileup get quiet and then send “ref W4T/SU-006” etc? I usually send the ref whenever I think of it, and it’s usually when there’s a bit of a lull. I don’t think that will work in this case as people won’t have a spot to refer to.
- Anything else I am missing?