Small CW Only Radio

I run Tattu brand batteries with a XT60 connector on a MTR5b and they work great. You can also find their products on amazon. For charging I use the Blomiky charger, also available on amazon :grin:.

I won’t laugh at that. To quote a prior @MM0FMF post the best radio is the one you carry to the summit and use. For shorter hikes with less elevation gain, my go to is the FT891… the extra weight is worth it for the power and band/mode options.

1 Like

The KX1 with the 80/30 accessory kit will do 80m. If 60m were important to me and if I wanted a rig that can be purchased new, as best I can see the KX2 is the way to go.

Thanks for the tip on the 350 mAh batteries - I will look into that. I currently carry a Bioenno 4.5 Ah that has been great but is overkill for a single activation with my little radio. Looking to lose some grams!

1 Like

I’ve got an ATS3B, I modified the firmware and built an extra band module for 60m. Now it’s a 7 band radio in an Altoids tin.

I love my QRO FT-891 despite it making me the butt of jokes of some of my SOTA peers. That said, my favorite tranceiver is my little MTR3b. It ensures that I don’t have pileups when I use it with a 9 volt battery and run at 2.5w. hihi

1 Like

I can tell the difference in pileup between running QRO or QRP; however, I am fortunate living where I do for SOTA. I have been more than surprised on a few occasions that QRP has resulted in a queue of calls waiting for a QSO. On one occasion, I ran 1/3 watt off a Pixie, and somehow folks like @WU7H and @WW7D immediately came back along with a few others in a smaller pile. I appreciate the persistence of other stations, though, particularly in EA land, who keep sending their call to make the SOTA DX after all the super-strong stations complete their QSOs and despite QSB and such. I can generally tell how the bands are doing based on a few key station signals though, for example, if @W0MNA is coming in a 559, you know the bands aren’t that great. Definitely a difference between throwing out 100w and 3w. What I can also say is that I’d rather carry the 891 than an 817. The extra w can make things more interesting and fun :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I have a Youkits HB1A which is a surprisingly good rig, especially as mine cost well under $100. The ergonomics may not suit everyone, but the simple facade and clunk-click tuning hides a half decent rig. It is the only rig I have that has full break-in, so for me operating it is a different experience.

1 Like

If you plan to use a tuner with an MTR, I would suggest the Elecraft T1 tuner. I have it and think its a great light weight tuner. I rarely use a tuner when using my mountain toppers (have 3b and 5b) but when I do, it’s the T1.

2 Likes

My battery is a Turnigy Nanotech, 350 mAH weighs 40 grams, just over an ounce. I obtained it from HobbyKing dot com. I use a miniaturized homebrew EFHW matching device pioneered by AA5TB which I have fitted into a dental floss case. My entire set-up including a 17 foot antenna supporting pole that collapses to just 18 inches, weighs under one pound. the antenna uses two tiny traps such that it is 12/15/20/30/40, but I also have a three trap version that adds 17M for use with the MTR5. My paddle is a touch key built inside the radio and consists of two posts mounted on the radio. My log is a trimmed 3x5 card clipped to the back of either the MTR3 or MTR5. I write with spacepen called the “Stowaway” which weighs about six grams, and which I have tethered to the radio. This all allows me to simply operate standing up. Things like snow, mud, cactus, ants, make being able to operate standing up a worthwhile thing to work toward. &3 Fred KT5X (aka WS0TA) More information and pictures can be found here:

2 Likes

Indeed!
Ken

I already got the perfect solution to overcome all those issues. It’s a foldable chair.

Guru

4 Likes

I want to put in one more plug for the humble HB1B. It is my favorite portable radio. So easy to operate and the RX is clear as a bell. But I take my KX2 95% of the time since my HB1B does not have 60m or 80m which I like to operate for the local chasers. If I could get either 60 or80 on my HB1B it would become my primary portable radio. Yes it needs a resonant antenna but that’s easy to arrange.
Scott kw4jm

4 Likes

I am using HB-1B, but I already repaired it few times.

1 Like

Wait. You CARRY a chair? :wink: - fred

I’d never be without mine. It only weighs about 550g:
https://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4337703_-ground-chair-helinox.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_NX7BRA1EiwA2dpg0nNZFvl1DlWw6DF90qU_3xpOi5sE0JXBO5vYbSgZ_jQa2Zc5b5WOvRoCP-kQAvD_BwE
If your back is not what it used to be, as in my case, it’s a real life saver.
73 Matt

Yes. Like this one:

Guru

2 Likes

This my new chair after having one of those triangular ones. More compact and lighter.

4 Likes

I built and use a QRP Labs QCX CW transceiver. At less than $100 USD, it works amazing and will almost fit in a back pocket. If 5W is not enough for you, there is a lightweight matching 50W amp for it. You can get one already assembled, but it’s a fun build. QCX+ 5W CW transceiver kit

John AK4AT

1 Like

I built a QCX last year, and integrated as much as possible into the case. I built mine for 30m considering it a compromise band since you will not get blown out on contest weekends and at least where I activate get most of the same chasers I would normally get on 20/40. I have done a few activations with it, but have since moved to an MTR b/c it’s even lighter and smaller (but not near as cheap)

2 Likes

Looks like the MTR3b may be no more. I got a message from LNR that they are going to “re-evaluate” the 3b next year, but that a “new and improved” 4b will hopefully be out by the holiday season. I really hope the new 4b is smaller than the current one, which is more than double the weight and volume of the 3b. :frowning:

Really disappointed because I really have no need or want for 80m and “Extra room inside enclosure for battery” at a $100 premium over the 3b. The only thing I could think of that would make it worth the extra bulk and money would be a built in ATU.

So those of you with both a 3b and 4b, are there really any differences in operation other than the addition of 80m?