Slovenia joins SOTA

The MT is delighted to announce that Slovenia (S5) will become the newest SOTA Association on 15th June. As always, our thanks to the Association Manager, Rado – S53R, and his team for their hard work in preparing the data for the ARM.

There are ten regions in Slovenia, adding a further 419 summits to the database, with Triglav the highest at 2864m. Slovenia is a very keen amateur radio nation, and we confidently anticipate quite a flurry of activity as the new summits are activated. With the availability of CEPT licensing, visitors are always welcome too, signing S5/homecall/P.

As always the ARM contains a lot of interesting reading. I was especially intrigued by the information regarding encounters with brown bears, wolves and wild boar, all of which are prevalent in parts of the country. It certainly puts our British native wildlife into perspective!

With the accession of Slovenia, SOTA’s coverage of the Alps is almost complete. Now we only have one outstanding country to conquer …

Good luck to all Slovenian activators and chasers! We eagerly await you on the air.

73 de Les, G3VQO
obo SOTA Management Team

In reply to G3VQO:
Great news Les - yes the Slovenians are very keen on amateur radio and we can all look forward to many activations from S5 land.
73 de Cris
GM4FAM

In reply to G3VQO:

Hi lES

gotta be good news for the chasers that, an ever expanding SOTA operation.

73s and thanks for your efforts with SOTA.

As always the ARM contains a lot of interesting reading. I was especially intrigued by the information regarding encounters with brown bears, wolves and wild boar, all of which are prevalent in parts of the country. It certainly puts our British native wildlife into perspective!

In reply to G3VQO:

Actually, I was thinking about putting a line or two about our wildlifes here in SM, as we also have bears and wolves and in the mountain ranges reindeers…

SM5KRI / Chris

In reply to G3VQO:

We have no bears, but there is a movement to re-introduce wolves to the Scottish Highlands, and wild boar are spreading in various parts of the country! Plus of course we have venomous adders, you can get a nasty bite from the woodlouse spider, there are scorpions in parts of the south east, but none of these compare to that most devastating of wildlife, the Scottish midge!:slight_smile:

Welcome to Slovenia!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3VQO:

Excellent news because I always used to work enormous numbers of S5 stations on 6m SpE. In fact I think I’ve had more contacts with S5 than any other country on 6m. Looks like I need a 6m dipole with me from now on!

Andy
MM0FMF

The Slovenian ARM is now available at Summits on the Air for those who wish to examine it.

73 de Les, G3VQO

The details of all Slovenian summits are now available on SOTAwatch.

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:
Hi Les!

Further to your perspective of Slovenian wild life - saw an adder (first for sometime) on Jura on Sunday - enroute to GM/SI-053. You never know what you will find underfoot - hi!

Jack (;>)

PS; They are talking about re-introducing beavers and wolves, but I would be more worried about ‘nutty’ coo’s (cows in English - hi!)

In reply to GM4COX:

Have you still got mad cow disease up there, then?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

We had a mad sheep on Lamington Hill on Sunday. It spent 10 mins walking round in a circle around the trig point. Then it ran round in ever decreasing circles coming towards us. I thought it was a cunning plot to confuse us and nick the chocolate biscuits Sarah had brought. She was dozing and was startled by the sheep only 20m away having a dizzy fit. I’d tried to wake her but she told me to leave her alone and then when she saw the sheep she wanted to know why I hadn’t woken her. Pah!

There was a bull in the field by the church at Lamington. He was asleep in the field with his good lady cows and when I stood on the fence to get a better photo of Tinto he stood up and snorted. Oooooooh, was he a big boy. He made it clear that these were his cows and to keep away. I was happy to oblige him.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G8ADD:

We had a mad sheep on Lamington Hill on Sunday.

Andy
MM0FMF

Someone said there was a mad Lamb on Hope Mountain yesterday:-)

Mike
GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hello
on 15 june, 3 summits in Slovenian started!
good luck in the pile up ! hi hi hi
welcome to chassers and activors from S5
73’s QRO
f5nep Lionel

Just a reminder that Slovenia joins the SOTA fun tomorrow. With sixteen activations already alerted for, covering a wide variety of bands and modes, there should be something for everybody. Let’s hope that the weather stays kind. Good luck to all participants.

dobrodošel !

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:
Thank you very much for your SOTA welcome. Today we had very bad weather. It was cold and rainy. The forecast for tomorrow is better and I hope S5 hams will activate slovenian summits as planned. Best wishes to all!

73, Milos S57D

Just looked at the alerts. WOW! This could be the best new association launch ever! Best of luck to all the S5 participants, and I hope to work you summit-to-summit at some point during the day. Hope my mobile 'phone behaves and keeps up with the spots. Perhaps I should take my laptop - I wonder if it can receive my BT wireless broadband hub from up there…?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

A very warm welcome awaits our new SOTA friends in S5, Slovenia. Good luck to you all on your first day in the SOTA family, the amount of alerts is staggering. Also, thanks to Les G3VQO and Rado S53R and his team for their hard work in this venture.

vy 73
Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hello,

It looks, that WX will be OK - at least for couple of hours. Here is new snow on the ground at heights above 1300m ASL. So, it will be fun :wink:

VY 73 to all and see you on the air

Jure S57XX

P.S. Rado is S58R

In reply to S57XX:
Thanks for the first S5 summit.
S53X/P from BR023 was strong on 10.116 !!

73 Feri HA7UL

Hello!

Slovenian SOTA day “Zero” is finished and I hope, that logs from all activators will be in the database shortly. I think, that all announced activations were done - maybe not exactly on announced bands and hours (WX problems). Now it is time to see, what we should do better next time.
Thank you for all QSO’s and see you again from another locations.

Jure S57XX