Six Lleyn Peninsula SOTA summits in a day - video report

Hi all, please find a link below to my ‘Lleyn Peninsula’ adventure. I have combined this into a report, its quite long so sorry in advance if you get really bored. If you like it, give it a thumbs up, but if not I won’t be offended. Many thanks to everyone from this SOTA community who called into me and also to the S2S stations worked!

73, GW4BML Ben

16 Likes

There’s something magic about activating near the sea, either islands or coastal summits. I’m not sure I can do six in a day though. Not sure my legs would last or my patience in setting up and taking down the station :wink:

2 Likes

It was a smashing day, bl**dy hot though!! Hahaaa, sometimes I feel like putting a lead weight on a random long wire and throwing it anywhere, make the most of the poor internal radio tuner :rofl: thanks @MM0FMF Andy, was good to make our first QSO last week, hopefully one of many more to come!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Enjoyed the video some great views :+1: MW7DBF

1 Like

@GW4BML Ben, I really do envy your fitness & motivation, great video report I enjoyed watching that. Well done on a great day activating.

1 Like

Many thanks for watching :slight_smile: the Lleyn never disappoints for views.

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Thanks @M7CAD Glyn, the wx was on my side, so a brilliant day had :grinning: look forward to a qso soon.

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Hi Ben

Great day out ! The added work of vlogging requires even more effort…

By the way, I’m guessing digital modes don’t work on Mynydd Anelog ?

(Sorry - hangs head in shame for that one)

Cheers
RIck

4 Likes

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the kind words - it takes me longer to edit the video than actually do the summits :rofl:

I did have to have a few seconds pause until I got your above joke, hahaaaa, but that’s a good one, hi!

Look forward to hearing you out soon!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Hi Ben,
congratulations for this achievment. I enjoyed watching the video, particularly the part about forgotten spoons and the full English breakfast. :rofl:
73 de Peter, DM7KN

1 Like

Hi Peter @DM7KN,

Thank you very much, it was a very enjoyable day! O yes, there’s always something forgotten when on a summit :rofl: at least is wasn’t the saucepan, hi! Thanks for watching!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

I was miffed when I overslept and missed you on Mynydd Anelog Ben. Then I took a look at your log and was pleased I had overslept! Good to catch up with you later on.

73, Gerald

2 Likes

Yes, not much inter-g early in the morning @G4OIG Gerald, 60m was working ok though! Was good to catch you later on though :+1:

73, GW4BML. Ben

2 Likes

Hi Ben,
congratulations on your 6 summits. Unbelievable for me, I’ve never had more than 2 activations in one day.

And welcome to the KX2 fan club.

I have two more questions. Why didn’t you put the battery pack in the KX2? I know it’s pretty fiddly and I’m always afraid of tearing or pinching the speaker wire. But you get used to it.

Second question. You talk about connecting the KX2 to an Endfed antenna. What kind of EFHW do you use?

Greetings from the hot Hannover,
Chris

2 Likes

Hi @DL1CR Chris,

I hope all is well and not too hot over in Hannover! We have again witnessed over 35 degrees temperature in Wales this weekend.

Thanks for your kind words on the 6 summit day, I thoroughly enjoyed it :+1:

OK, so the answers to your questions:

1. I normally use an external battery on my X6100 as you know. But on this day the voltage flagged up to be too high for the KX2, so luckily I’d packed the 10.8v battery, hence why it wasn’t inside the radio. Also, I find it easier to just plug it in and activate rather than putting it in and out of the rear casing. I suppose every operator has there differences. I’m planning to purchase another one so I have two when I’m doing long days of multiple summits.

2. I have two EFHW antennas for 40/20m which I tune to 60m using the internal tuner on both radios. I must admit, I make most of my antennas, but both these have been given to me :grinning: the one I was using in the video was made buy Steve @MW0SAW, I think he sells them, so maybe pop him a message if your after one! I believe it’s a 49:1 QRP toroid and approximately 41ft of wire which is erected as an inverted V on my 6m pole resonant on 40/20m.

I hope this information helps and I look forward to making another QSO soon, maybe even a S2S!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like