Short Report for Black Hill G/SP-002 and also apol

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Nice one mate, didn’t think you could resist going back and dragging the co-linear up. I think HF would be good up there, no handy trees or fixings though for dipole ends but that’s no prob.

73’s
RB

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Switch to 2mtrs SSB,(horizontal) dead easy summit to qualify & get loads of contacts then, stay vertical and you will miss loads!!

John M0JDK

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike,

I listened for you on 2m SSB when you were spotted Mike. I did switch between the Vertical Colinear and my Horizontal Beam, of course you were just about there on the vertical, whilst on the beam non exsistent.

I would have liked to have chased that Hill, But not to worry I am sure you will be up their again soon.

73 Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike,

I listened for you on 2m SSB when you were spotted Mike. I did switch
between the Vertical Colinear and my Horizontal Beam, of course you
were just about there on the vertical, whilst on the beam non
exsistent.

I would have liked to have chased that Hill, But not to worry I am
sure you will be up their again soon.

73 Matt G8XYJ

13th. commandment “Thou shoult go horizontal ssb on the hills”!!

M0JDK

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike,

I listened for you on 2m SSB when you were spotted Mike. I did switch
between the Vertical Colinear and my Horizontal Beam, of course you
were just about there on the vertical, whilst on the beam non
exsistent.

Funnily enough Matt, I had both the dipole and collinear in the car and was torn in two about which one to take. The dipole and fishing pole would have been a lot easier to carry than the collinear plus two 5’ poles, and of course, I could have used the dipole horizontally.

I would have liked to have chased that Hill, But not to worry I am
sure you will be up their again soon.

Really sorry to have missed you Matt, and you’re right, I’m a glutton for punishment so no doubt I’ll try again, maybe with Rufus M6MGB, where he can try for some 6m ssb this time.

I may try to squeeze in G/SP-011 Freeholds Top this Saturday in between some running around on Friday and the Junction 28 QRP Rally Sunday.

If anyone can point me toward the starting point for quickest ascent of this summit, I would be most grateful?

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

If anyone can point me toward the starting point

http://www.sotawatch.org/article.php?summit=G/SP-011&id=2513

Andy
MM0FMF

We never found that approach when we looked for it! A longer route - but with hardly any ascent (flat most of the way) - starts at SD891241 on the A681 road north of the summt.

Mike, you can always find lots of parking and route information on this website. Click on ‘Summits’ above/below, and navigate in to the one you are researching.

Tom M1EYP

If anyone can point me toward the starting point for quickest ascent
of this summit, I would be most grateful?

Mike 2E0YYY

Start at SD891 209 Shawforth on the A671 follow footpath to Summit, a distance of 1.26 miles starting at 920ft. and climbing to 1487 at the trig point, a climb of 567 feet.

John M0JDK

In reply to M0JDK:

Start at SD891 209 Shawforth on the A671 follow footpath to Summit, a
distance of 1.26 miles starting at 920ft. and climbing to 1487 at the
trig point, a climb of 567 feet.

Cheers John, also Tom and Andy for the info.

BTW John, subject to wx and as it’s not too far to walk, I’ll probably take both the dipole for horizontal and collinear for vertical. If you and Matt are about and can hear me, I’d appreciate a call.

Many Thanks
Mike 2E0YYY

distance of 1.26 miles starting at 920ft. and climbing to 1487 at the
trig point, a climb of 567 feet.

For comparison, my route is approx 1.7 miles starting at 1250ft. So, in rounded general terms, half a mile longer with 300 feet less of ascent. Whatever suits you best. If doing this route, make sure you follow the old track (Limers Gate) and not the Rossendale Way. The former is very easy on a level, firm track, while the latter is an appalling bogtrot!

Nice to see you broadening your horizons at last Mike!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=388500&y=424500&z=120&sv=sharneyford&st=3&tl=Map+of+Sharneyford,+Lancashire+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf You can also follow the lane between Sharney ford and the Observatory